PC Review

how do I get this unallocated space to drive E

19th Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhazesurfer View Post
what kind of computer is this?
this is a desk top pc Dell inspiron 531 no printer hooked up ,dont game it , bought it new howevr , service is out dated on it through dell

Last edited by suzonka; 19th Jul 2012 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: spell

Master of Logic

19th Jul 2012
Well, in order to reinstall Windows, you need to call Dell and get the installation software for this machine, if you don't have them.

If the machine is out of warranty, chances are that it will cost some money.

did you purchase it used or something? Dell doesn't mess this type of installation up, ever. Someone else had to have installed Windows on it for this to happen.

-Surfer

I'm not a rocket surgeon, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

20th Jul 2012
Quote:
Well, in order to reinstall Windows, you need to call Dell and get the installation software for this machine, if you don't have them.

If the machine is out of warranty, chances are that it will cost some money.

did you purchase it used or something? Dell doesn't mess this type of installation up, ever. Someone else had to have installed Windows on it for this to happen.
===============================================================

I have a vista restore disk that came with this computer and another disk with drivers, and a 3rd disk ,that says this computer cam with this disk instlled on it. when I ran the vista disk last week , it straightend out all the files , how ever it relabled the disk D local and E local D disaperared ? how ever when I plug in a flash drive it gets labled as disk D and now I noticed ther is a lot of duplicate folders and file on E that areon C also ?

Last edited by suzonka; 20th Jul 2012 at 01:33 AM.. Reason: adding more information

Master of Logic

20th Jul 2012
I don't know what's up with your USB stick. Something would have had to be configured to copy the files like you have them now. I would put in a CLEAN USB stick and backup any information you want. THEN, run the Vista disk and choose the option to format the drive. Also, make sure that the installation says C:\Windows for the installation folder. If you format the drive using the installer, it should configure the system properly.

-Surfer

24th Jul 2012
Quote:
===========================================================

Dell inspiron pc desk tp 531

Master of Logic

24th Jul 2012
to be honest, you should probably <cringe> pay for support to get this resolved. attempting this process via forum is difficult. I have many tricks via remote access but may render your machine useless and i won't take that responsibility.

I wish you luck with the issue. this is your best course of action given the scenario. either that or deal with the drive configuration and use the C as your storage.

cheers

-Surfer

24th Jul 2012
Quote:
thank you for helping me

Captain Crunchie, Retired

24th Jul 2012
You really need to take this PC to a "good" reliable PC repair shop ... they will sort it in no time.

I am the dreadful menace. The one whose will is done. The haunting chill upon your neck. I am the Conundrum.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: