How do I get rid of the copyright symbol?

ultra_xcyter

      30th Jun 2005

I am trying to enter "(c)" into a cell and everytime I do that, Excel
automatically converts it to the copyright symbol, which I don't want.
I've tried formatting the cell to text, general, etc. but that doesn't
work.

Is there a way to enter "(c)" without it automatically being converted
to the copyright symbol?

Thank you in advice for any advice/tips.

--
ultra_xcyter
ultra_xcyter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=9946

swatsp0p

      30th Jun 2005

You need to modify the AutoCorrect setting. From Tools>Options
|Spelling, click "Auto Correct Options..."

Scroll down to find the (c) and edit it to [c] and click OK.

now, (c) will remain unchange, and you call the copyright symbol by
entering [c]

Good Luck

Bruce

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=383518

doltish

      30th Jun 2005

You could also try placing a ' mark before your input. That usuall
tells Excel not to modify what you enter into the cell at all. So '(c
should work. It's a magical thing that somebody taught me a while ag
that has saved me so many headaches since

--
doltis
doltish's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2479

ultra_xcyter

      30th Jun 2005

Doltish & Swatsp0p: Both your suggestions worked great! Thank you ver
much for your help. No more headaches for me! Or at least until nex
time

--
ultra_xcyte
ultra_xcyter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...nfo&userid=994
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38351

swatsp0p

      30th Jun 2005

Ultra: I'm glad you found a solution. Thanks for the feedback, it i
always appreciated.

Doltish: I tried your tip, but for me the ' didn't do anything and m
[c] still returned the copyright symbol. Hmmmm..... I don't know...
must be missing something.... I tried changing [c] back to (c) in th
AutoCorrect option to no avail. '(c) still brought up the symbol.

Bruc

--
swatsp0

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1510
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38351

George Nicholson

      30th Jun 2005
Alternatively:
-Type (c) + space (entering the space invokes auto-correct and changes
your entry to the copyright symbol)
-Ctrl+Z (undo last action: i.e., the autocorrect. Your entry is
restored.)
-Finally, press Enter
--
George Nicholson

Remove 'Junk' from return address.

"ultra_xcyter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Doltish & Swatsp0p: Both your suggestions worked great! Thank you very
> much for your help. No more headaches for me! Or at least until next
> time.
>

> --
> ultra_xcyter
> ultra_xcyter's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=9946
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=383518

swatsp0p

      30th Jun 2005

George, I like the CTRL+Z tip. Works great!

Thanks,

Bruc

--
swatsp0

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1510
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38351

New Member

      4th Nov 2008
Thanks for the tip. Under Tools/AutoCorrect... I simply unchecked all 4 boxes. That way I get exactly what I type, rather than unexpected results. Sometimes big brother doesn't know best.