How do I format an APA style "hanging indent?"

howlettma

      22nd Mar 2009
Having difficult keeping word from auto-adjusting my reference page.
Anyoneknow how to format an APA style "hanging indent?"

Stefan Blom

      27th Mar 2009
Assuming that you are using Word's built-in citation/bibliography feature,
have you tried adding a hanging indent to the Bibliography style?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"howlettma" wrote:

> Having difficult keeping word from auto-adjusting my reference page.
> Anyoneknow how to format an APA style "hanging indent?"

grammatim

      27th Mar 2009
To make a hanging indent for just one or a few paragraphs, put your
cursor in it or select them, go up to the ruler, and drag the upward-
pointing tiny triange near the left of the ruler toward the right.
(Or, drag the slightly larger rectangular box below the upward-
pointing triangle a bit to the right, and then drag the _downward_-
pointing triange above it to the left, to pull the first lines out to
where you want them to be.)

But the better way to do it is to Modify your Bibliography style -- go
to the Styles window (Ctrl-Alt-Shift-S), right-click on the style name
(Bibliography), choose Modify > Format > Paragraph, and the first of
the things to the right is where you set a Hanging Indent -- the
default is .5" but you can enter any value in the window. After you OK
your way out, all the bibliography paragraphs will have the same
indent.

On Mar 27, 5:06*am, Stefan Blom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Assuming that you are using Word's built-in citation/bibliography feature,
> have you tried adding a hanging indent to the Bibliography style?
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP
>

> "howlettma" wrote:
> > Having difficult keeping word from auto-adjusting my reference page. *
> > Anyoneknow how to format an APA style "hanging indent?"-

Yves

      27th Mar 2009
Note that the first option is not really a solution when using a
bibliography field as the field tends to get updated frequently and
automatically resulting in a loss of all manually applied formatting.

The name of the style applied to the bibliography might not actually
be "Bibliography". It will be a localized (translated to the language
of your copy of Word) version of the word 'Bibliography'.

Yves
--
http://bibliography.codeplex.com

On 27 mrt, 14:24, grammatim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> To make a hanging indent for just one or a few paragraphs, put your
> cursor in it or select them, go up to the ruler, and drag the upward-
> pointing tiny triange near the left of the ruler toward the right.
> (Or, drag the slightly larger rectangular box below the upward-
> pointing triangle a bit to the right, and then drag the _downward_-
> pointing triange above it to the left, to pull the first lines out to
> where you want them to be.)
>
> But the better way to do it is to Modify your Bibliography style -- go
> to the Styles window (Ctrl-Alt-Shift-S), right-click on the style name
> (Bibliography), choose Modify > Format > Paragraph, and the first of
> the things to the right is where you set a Hanging Indent -- the
> default is .5" but you can enter any value in the window. After you OK
> your way out, all the bibliography paragraphs will have the same
> indent.
>
> On Mar 27, 5:06*am, Stefan Blom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Assuming that you are using Word's built-in citation/bibliography feature,
> > have you tried adding a hanging indent to the Bibliography style?

> > --
> > Stefan Blom
> > Microsoft Word MVP

> > "howlettma" wrote:
> > > Having difficult keeping word from auto-adjusting my reference page. *
> > > Anyoneknow how to format an APA style "hanging indent?"

Stefan Blom

      30th Mar 2009
>The name of the style applied to the bibliography might not actually be
>"Bibliography". It will be a localized (translated to the language of your
>copy of Word) version of the word 'Bibliography'.

This is true for all built-in styles in Word.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news:(E-Mail Removed)...