How do I fix my explorer "Open With" option

=?Utf-8?B?U291dGhlcm5NYW4=?=

      12th Nov 2004
I have XP Pro and I can't add a program (winword in this case) to my open
with list. I choose open from the right click options. Choose select program
from a list in next window. Winword is not on the list so I choose browse. I
select winword.exe from the prog files\msoffice\office directory and OK. I
return to the open with list and winword isn't there.
Is there a way of deleating all and resetting list or something like that.

Thanks
Wayne

Wesley Vogel

      12th Nov 2004
winword.exe is listed as Microsoft Word. Is that on the list?

After Browsing to winword.exe, make sure Always use the selected program
to open this kind of file is checked.

[[Specifies that the next time you open this file, or any other file having
the same file name extension, you want Windows to use the program that you
specify here.]]

Clear Dynamic Open With Lists
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_open_with.htm

Stolen from Kelly T.
To force a program to not be listed:
Start | Run | Type: regedit | OK
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications
Select the associated sub-key, add NoOpenWith.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news(E-Mail Removed),
SouthernMan <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
> I have XP Pro and I can't add a program (winword in this case) to my
> open with list. I choose open from the right click options. Choose
> select program from a list in next window. Winword is not on the list
> so I choose browse. I select winword.exe from the prog
> files\msoffice\office directory and OK. I return to the open with
> list and winword isn't there.
> Is there a way of deleating all and resetting list or something like
> that.
>
> Thanks
> Wayne

=?Utf-8?B?U291dGhlcm5NYW4=?=

      12th Nov 2004
Wesley
The problem seems to be bigger than first thought.
First to answer your questions. No MS Word is not in the list and No I dont
want to always use MS Word for this file so I leave the box unticked.

I downloaded Dougknox's file and it showed up 2 file extensions for the file
type I was using. eg .csv and .csv" I then went and selected openwith again
in explorer and found it was using the .csv" extension. My openwith option
has an additional " at then end of the line in the registry by the look of
it. Where would I find the registry entry for explorers openwith option.

Thanks for your help so far.
Wayne

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> winword.exe is listed as Microsoft Word. Is that on the list?
>
> After Browsing to winword.exe, make sure  Always use the selected program
> to open this kind of file is checked.
>
> [[Specifies that the next time you open this file, or any other file having
> the same file name extension, you want Windows to use the program that you
> specify here.]]
>
> Clear Dynamic Open With Lists
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_open_with.htm
>
> Stolen from Kelly T.
> To force a program to not be listed:
> Start | Run | Type: regedit | OK
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications
> Select the associated sub-key, add NoOpenWith.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news(E-Mail Removed),
> SouthernMan <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
> > I have XP Pro and I can't add a program (winword in this case) to my
> > open with list. I choose open from the right click options. Choose
> > select program from a list in next window. Winword is not on the list
> > so I choose browse. I select winword.exe from the prog
> > files\msoffice\office directory and OK. I return to the open with
> > list and winword isn't there.
> > Is there a way of deleating all and resetting list or something like
> > that.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Wayne

a nonymous

      13th Nov 2004

"SouthernMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
| I have XP Pro and I can't add a program (winword in this case) to my open
| with list. I choose open from the right click options. Choose select program
| from a list in next window. Winword is not on the list so I choose browse. I
| select winword.exe from the prog files\msoffice\office directory and OK. I
| return to the open with list and winword isn't there.
| Is there a way of deleating all and resetting list or something like that.
|
| Thanks
| Wayne

Start
Run
regedit
Enter

For *.DOC files, there should be...

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.doc\OpenWithList\Winword.exe
-and-
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\WINWORD.EXE

Perhaps if you did a "repair instal" of MS Office (Word).

Had you associated .DOC with an app other than Word via...

Explorer
Folder Options
File Types
DOC
Change

Perhaps click Restore, add winword to your open with list,
then click Change again.

=?Utf-8?B?U291dGhlcm5NYW4=?=

      13th Nov 2004
"a nonymous"
Sorry but my first post wasn't descriptive enough.
In Win Explorer I wanted to open a .CSV file in MS Word. I shift right
clicked my .csv file and chose OPEN WITH. I Choose "Select program from a
list" in the next window. I was then given a list of programs in the "other
programs" tab that I could choose from to open this file. MS Word wasn't on
the list so I chose Browse. Found winword.exe and selected it but it still
doesn't appear in the list. If I choose say wordpad from the list and the
file is opened, idf I repeat the exercise I find that wordpad is now in a new
"recommended programs" tab. MS Word is still not in the "other programs" tab.

I followed your example but with my .CSV" file ext
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.csv"\OpenWithList\Winword.exe
but MS Word is still missing from the list. I now have
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.csv"\OpenWithList\Wordpad.exe
in my registry from my above example where wordpad is now in the
"recommended programs" tab.

I may have to try your "repair install" for MS Office to see if I can get
the MS Office programs in the "other programs" tab of open with.

I am unsure what you mean with your last statement
> Perhaps click Restore, add winword to your open with list,
> then click Change again.

What is this referring to.

Thanks
Wayne

"a nonymous" wrote:

> "SouthernMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> | I have XP Pro and I can't add a program (winword in this case) to my open
> | with list. I choose open from the right click options. Choose select program
> | from a list in next window. Winword is not on the list so I choose browse. I
> | select winword.exe from the prog files\msoffice\office directory and OK. I
> | return to the open with list and winword isn't there.
> | Is there a way of deleating all and resetting list or something like that.
> |
> | Thanks
> | Wayne
>
> Start
> Run
> regedit
> Enter
>
> For *.DOC files, there should be...
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.doc\OpenWithList\Winword.exe
> -and-
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\WINWORD.EXE
>

> Perhaps if you did a "repair instal" of MS Office (Word).
>

> Had you associated .DOC with an app other than Word via...
>
> Explorer
> Folder Options
> File Types
> DOC
> Change
>
> Perhaps click Restore, add winword to your open with list,
> then click Change again.

HillBillyBuddhist

      13th Nov 2004
"SouthernMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
|I have XP Pro and I can't add a program (winword in this case) to my open
| with list. I choose open from the right click options. Choose select
program
| from a list in next window. Winword is not on the list so I choose browse.
| select winword.exe from the prog files\msoffice\office directory and OK. I
| return to the open with list and winword isn't there.
| Is there a way of deleating all and resetting list or something like that.
|
| Thanks
| Wayne

You might like Open Expert.
http://www.baxbex.com/openexpert.html

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details.

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Wesley Vogel

      13th Nov 2004
Wayne,

It sounds to me like some *.csv file(s) got named or renamed by mistake.
First I would do a Search on your machine for *.csv" * is a wild card and
this should find all of those files on your machine. Make sure to use the
Advanced settings.

When and if you find any, change the extension to csv. somefilename.csv
instead of somefilename.csv" Are there a lot of csv" files? Or just a few?

CSV files are Comma-Separated Variables. A lot of different uses for these
files.

My CSV files are set up to Edit and Open with Notepad. I think that's the
default, if you don't have Excel.

I would set CSV files to Open and Edit with Notepad.

Open Folder Options...
Start | Run | Type: control folders | OK |
File Types tab | Scroll down to and highlight CSV |
Click the Change button | Select Notepad | Click the Apply button

When this is all over if CSV" is still in the Folder Options | File Types
list, I would delete it.

===

I believe that these are the relevant registry keys. However, you do not
need these, you can do every thing in Folder Options | File Types. I have
not included any Names, Type or Values. To protect the innocent. ;-)

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.csv

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\csv_auto_file\shell\edit

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\csv_auto_file\shell\open

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Explorer\FileExts\.csv\OpenWithList

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.csv

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\csv_auto_file\shell\edit\command

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\csv_auto_file\shell\open\command

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1708537768-1580436667-1202660629-1003\Software\Microsoft
\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.csv\OpenWithList

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
SouthernMan <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
> Wesley
> The problem seems to be bigger than first thought.
> First to answer your questions. No MS Word is not in the list and No
> I dont want to always use MS Word for this file so I leave the box
> unticked.
>
> I downloaded Dougknox's file and it showed up 2 file extensions for
> the file type I was using. eg .csv and .csv" I then went and
> selected openwith again in explorer and found it was using the .csv"
> extension. My openwith option has an additional " at then end of the
> line in the registry by the look of it. Where would I find the
> registry entry for explorers openwith option.
>
> Thanks for your help so far.
> Wayne
>

> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> winword.exe is listed as Microsoft Word. Is that on the list?
>>
>> After Browsing to winword.exe, make sure  Always use the selected
>> program to open this kind of file is checked.
>>
>> [[Specifies that the next time you open this file, or any other file
>> having the same file name extension, you want Windows to use the
>> program that you specify here.]]
>>
>> Clear Dynamic Open With Lists
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_open_with.htm
>>
>> Stolen from Kelly T.
>> To force a program to not be listed:
>> Start | Run | Type: regedit | OK
>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications
>> Select the associated sub-key, add NoOpenWith.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news(E-Mail Removed),
>> SouthernMan <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and
>> pecked:
>>> I have XP Pro and I can't add a program (winword in this case) to my
>>> open with list. I choose open from the right click options. Choose
>>> select program from a list in next window. Winword is not on the
>>> list so I choose browse. I select winword.exe from the prog
>>> files\msoffice\office directory and OK. I return to the open with
>>> list and winword isn't there.
>>> Is there a way of deleating all and resetting list or something like
>>> that.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Wayne

=?Utf-8?B?U291dGhlcm5NYW4=?=

      13th Nov 2004
Wesley
To clarify the problem I'm having, the .csv" file issue is a "open with"
problem. It is now effecting all file ext's that I use "open with" on. If I
check the file ext for say a text file in "folder options\file types" I find
a file type .txt is associated with Textpad. I then open explorer and shift
right click a file something.txt and choose wordpad with the check box
"always use the selected program to open this kind of file" ticked. Wordpad
opens the file, I then close it and check the association for text file in
"folder options\file types" I find a file type .txt is associated with
Textpad and .txt" associated with wordpad. The problem is in the registry
where the open with application is given the file name. It is given the file
name with a " on the end of it.
eg the "open as" command is
rundll32.exe shell32.dll,OpenAs_RunDLL "%1"
I can only assume the openwith has "%1"" at then end of it. I just cant fine
the command line for openwith in the registry.

I hope I have made myself clear enough.
Thanks for you help so far
Wayne

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [...]
> >

> > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
> >
> >> winword.exe is listed as Microsoft Word. Is that on the list?
> >>
> >> After Browsing to winword.exe, make sure  Always use the selected
> >> program to open this kind of file is checked.
> >>
> >> [[Specifies that the next time you open this file, or any other file
> >> having the same file name extension, you want Windows to use the
> >> program that you specify here.]]
> >>
> >> Clear Dynamic Open With Lists
> >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_open_with.htm
> >>
> >> Stolen from Kelly T.
> >> To force a program to not be listed:
> >> Start | Run | Type: regedit | OK
> >> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications
> >> Select the associated sub-key, add NoOpenWith.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >> Wes
> >>
> >> In news(E-Mail Removed),
> >> SouthernMan <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and

Wab

      13th Nov 2004
Nice utility that.
Thanks for posted the link.

Kind regards

Wab

HillBillyBuddhist wrote:
> "SouthernMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> |I have XP Pro and I can't add a program (winword in this case) to my open
> | with list. I choose open from the right click options. Choose select
> program
> | from a list in next window. Winword is not on the list so I choose browse.
> | select winword.exe from the prog files\msoffice\office directory and OK. I
> | return to the open with list and winword isn't there.
> | Is there a way of deleating all and resetting list or something like that.
> |
> | Thanks
> | Wayne
>
> You might like Open Expert.
> http://www.baxbex.com/openexpert.html

Wesley Vogel

      13th Nov 2004
Wayne,

Could Textpad be the culprit? I know nothing about this progam.

rundll32.exe shell32.dll,OpenAs_RunDLL "%1" is part the command for unknown
file types.

These are what I have in my registry >>>

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unknown\shell\openas\command
Value Name: (Default)
Value Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
Value Data:
%SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe
%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,OpenAs_RunDLL %1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Unknown\shell\openas\command
Value Name: (Default)
Value Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
Value Data:
%SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe
%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,OpenAs_RunDLL %1
===

%SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe
%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,OpenAs_RunDLL %1

This should be all one line with a space between what is listed on two
lines. It appears this way here because of wrapping.