how do I enter a square feet symbol in excel?

=?Utf-8?B?c3VtbWVybGFuZQ==?=

      15th Sep 2005
how do I enter the small '2' as a symbol for 'square feet' in microsoft excel?

Bill Ridgeway

      15th Sep 2005
Highlight the 2
Click on <Format><Cells><Superscript><OK>
Job done

Although you will see the 2 as superscript in the cell in the edit line (if
you don't edit directly in the cell) it will appear as ordinary text. Yet
another anomaly from Mr Gates.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"summerlane" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> how do I enter the small '2' as a symbol for 'square feet' in microsoft
> excel?

swatsp0p

      15th Sep 2005

If you are using this as a calculation entry, use the carat (^) [shifte
number 6] e.g. "equals 4 squared" would be =4^2

If it is a text entry, as in "16 square feet", enter "162 feet", the
in the formula bar, highlight the '2' and choose Format>Cells from th
main menu. On the Font tab, tick the 'superscript' option and clic
OK. The result will be "16-2- feet" with the -2- as the small, raise
squared sign.

Of course both of these apply to any power as well.

HTH

Bruc

--
swatsp0

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1510
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=46785

=?Utf-8?B?U1JT?=

      15th Sep 2005
One other option is to use the shortcut code which is available in most
applications.

The "code" for the small 2 is: Alt + 253 (be sure to hold down the alt
button while typing in 253)

So your number would look like this: 125²

"swatsp0p" wrote:

> If you are using this as a calculation entry, use the carat (^) [shifted
> number 6] e.g. "equals 4 squared" would be =4^2
>
> If it is a text entry, as in "16 square feet", enter "162 feet", then
> in the formula bar, highlight the '2' and choose Format>Cells from the
> main menu. On the Font tab, tick the 'superscript' option and click
> OK. The result will be "16-2- feet" with the -2- as the small, raised
> squared sign.
>
> Of course both of these apply to any power as well.
>
> HTH
>
> Bruce
>

> --
> swatsp0p

> swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=467857

swatsp0p

      16th Sep 2005

SRS Wrote:
> One other option is to use the shortcut code which is available in most
> applications.
>
> The "code" for the small 2 is: Alt + 253 (be sure to hold down th
> alt
> button while typing in 253)
>
> So your number would look like this: 125²
>
> "swatsp0p" wrote:
>

> > If you are using this as a calculation entry, use the carat (^

> [shifted
> > number 6] e.g. "equals 4 squared" would be =4^2
> >
> > If it is a text entry, as in "16 square feet", enter "162 feet"

> then
> > in the formula bar, highlight the '2' and choose Format>Cells fro

> the
> > main menu. On the Font tab, tick the 'superscript' option and click
> > OK. The result will be "16-2- feet" with the -2- as the small

> raised
> > squared sign.
> >
> > Of course both of these apply to any power as well.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Bruce
> >

> > --
> > swatsp0p

> > swatsp0p's Profile

> > View this thread

> http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=467857

This is a good tip (if one can remember the ASCII codes for thes
things). Note that the numbers must be entered through the numeri
keypad, not the top row of numbers on the keyboard for this to work.
Of course, this type of entry is also treated as text and cannot b
used for any calculations.

Bruc