How do I do the inverse of tan in Excel?

=?Utf-8?B?TWlkZGxlRWFydGhOZXQ=?=

      3rd Mar 2006
I know how to use the tan function in Excel 2003, but I need the inverse of
tan written as 1/tan or tan^-1) for a set of equations I'm doing. I've tried
various combinations of writing it with brackets to separate terms but it
still says there is an error.

Niek Otten

      3rd Mar 2006
=1/TAN(A1)
=TAN(A1)^(-1)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"MiddleEarthNet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I know how to use the tan function in Excel 2003, but I need the inverse of
> tan written as 1/tan or tan^-1) for a set of equations I'm doing. I've
> tried
> various combinations of writing it with brackets to separate terms but it
> still says there is an error.

=?Utf-8?B?Um9uIENvZGVycmU=?=

      3rd Mar 2006
Per Excel Help:

ATAN()
Returns the arctangent, or inverse tangent, of a number.

Is that what you're looking for?
(If not, check Excel's math and trig functions.)

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"MiddleEarthNet" wrote:

> I know how to use the tan function in Excel 2003, but I need the inverse of
> tan written as 1/tan or tan^-1) for a set of equations I'm doing. I've tried
> various combinations of writing it with brackets to separate terms but it
> still says there is an error.

Bernard Liengme

      3rd Mar 2006
Niek,
I think we have a language problem here.
Inverse of a trig function is the TAN^1(x) not (TAN(x))^-10.
We talk about Arcsine, Arctan so we use ASIN, ATAN
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Niek Otten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> =1/TAN(A1)
> =TAN(A1)^(-1)
>
> --
> Kind regards,
>
> Niek Otten
>
> "MiddleEarthNet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I know how to use the tan function in Excel 2003, but I need the inverse
>>of
>> tan written as 1/tan or tan^-1) for a set of equations I'm doing. I've
>> tried
>> various combinations of writing it with brackets to separate terms but it
>> still says there is an error.

Harlan Grove

      3rd Mar 2006
Bernard Liengme wrote...
>I think we have a language problem here.
>Inverse of a trig function is the TAN^1(x) not (TAN(x))^-10.

^-1 rather than ^-10.

The proper term for 1/x is the reciprocal of x. Inverse is a more
general term which needs context such as additive, multiplicative or
function.

>We talk about Arcsine, Arctan so we use ASIN, ATAN
>best wishes

As for arctangents, when possible, better to use ATAN2 than ATAN since
the former can handle 90 and 270 (or -90) degree angles.

Niek Otten

      3rd Mar 2006
Hi Bernard,

I was afraid of that, but took the OP's text literally:

<written as 1/tan or tan^-1>

Hopefully we get some sort of feedback to see what the intention was

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"Bernard Liengme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Niek,
> I think we have a language problem here.
> Inverse of a trig function is the TAN^1(x) not (TAN(x))^-10.
> We talk about Arcsine, Arctan so we use ASIN, ATAN
> best wishes
> --
> Bernard V Liengme
> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
> remove caps from email
>
> "Niek Otten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> =1/TAN(A1)
>> =TAN(A1)^(-1)
>>
>> --
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Niek Otten
>>
>> "MiddleEarthNet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I know how to use the tan function in Excel 2003, but I need the inverse
>>>of
>>> tan written as 1/tan or tan^-1) for a set of equations I'm doing. I've
>>> tried
>>> various combinations of writing it with brackets to separate terms but
>>> it
>>> still says there is an error.

New Member

      8th Jul 2010
I know how to use the tan function in Excel 2003, but I need the inverse of
tan written as 1/tan or tan^-1) for a set of equations I'm doing. I've tried
various combinations of writing it with brackets to separate terms but it
still says there is an error.

New Member

      8th Jul 2010
119/120 = inv tan then show result 44.76(in Scientific Calculator) , How to write this calculation in excel

Last edited by nishadul; 8th Jul 2010 at 08:09 AM..

New Member

      25th Jul 2010
Calculation is not work correctly.

I have use scientific calculator of my PC as follows step by step:

1. Open Calculator of your PC
2. Select Scientific Calculator from View menu
3. Type 119/120
4. Click = button
5. Show result: 0.99166666666666666
6. Enable Inv check box
7. Click tan button
8. Show result: 44.76

We need this result in use Microsoft Excel

Best regards,
Nishadul
(E-Mail Removed)

Quote: