how do i create a table in excel 2003?

biff

      18th Jun 2008
I can do it in excel 2007.

I have a tab delimited text file that I import into Excel 2003. The fields
import correcly. Next I need to create a table for the data. If I go to the
Data menu and then select table, I am presented With a "Row input cell" and
"Column input cell". I have no idea what to input here. If I use Excel 2007
the same steps then ask me "What is the data for your table" and I then
select all the columns & rows with data. I tried selecting all the rows for
the "Row input cell" and all the columns for "Column input cell" but I get an
error that says "Input cell reference is not valid".

The reason I want to create a table is for sorting purposes.

BoniM

      18th Jun 2008
From the Menu bar - Data, List, Create List
They changed to calling it a table for '07...

"biff" wrote:

> I can do it in excel 2007.
>
> I have a tab delimited text file that I import into Excel 2003. The fields
> import correcly. Next I need to create a table for the data. If I go to the
> Data menu and then select table, I am presented With a "Row input cell" and
> "Column input cell". I have no idea what to input here. If I use Excel 2007
> the same steps then ask me "What is the data for your table" and I then
> select all the columns & rows with data. I tried selecting all the rows for
> the "Row input cell" and all the columns for "Column input cell" but I get an
> error that says "Input cell reference is not valid".
>
> The reason I want to create a table is for sorting purposes.

biff

      18th Jun 2008
Thank you BoniM. That solved the issue and saved me some frustration.

"BoniM" wrote:

> From the Menu bar - Data, List, Create List
> They changed to calling it a table for '07...
>
> "biff" wrote:
>
> > I can do it in excel 2007.
> >
> > I have a tab delimited text file that I import into Excel 2003. The fields
> > import correcly. Next I need to create a table for the data. If I go to the
> > Data menu and then select table, I am presented With a "Row input cell" and
> > "Column input cell". I have no idea what to input here. If I use Excel 2007
> > the same steps then ask me "What is the data for your table" and I then
> > select all the columns & rows with data. I tried selecting all the rows for
> > the "Row input cell" and all the columns for "Column input cell" but I get an
> > error that says "Input cell reference is not valid".
> >
> > The reason I want to create a table is for sorting purposes.

BoniM

      18th Jun 2008
Always good to fight frustration - you're welcome!
Happy sorting...