PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

how do i convert works to excel files,

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?Zmdpb3Jk?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      16th Dec 2004

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Frank Kabel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      16th Dec 2004
Hi
a repost from Ken Wright to convert MS Works files:
-----

Generally you would normally open the file in WORKS and then save it
down as a file that Excel can read. .xlr is a native Excel format,
or .txt, .csv, dbaseIV are all formats it can read. You can also find
a converter here if you don't have WORKS.

http://www.rl-software.com/indexjs.h...kscnvxls_e.htm

Text from the website above:-

Microsoft does not provide an import Excel filter for Works-WKS files
later than version 2. (for Works-WPD and Word they do). There is no
standard way to convert a lot of Works-WKS files into the Excel format.
You need to save each file out
of Works manually into XLS which is a pain in the neck.
Here comes our MS Works spreadsheets to Excel Converter. It does not
need a Works Installation and you
can use the batch converting wizard (see right side).
a.. Completely integrated into Excel 97/2000/XP, no external program
b.. Imports MS Works Spreadsheet (*.WKS) 3.x ,4.x, 200xfiles
c.. Convenient, selfextracting and selfinstalling setup procedure
d.. Can be removed completely with standard deinstall procedure
e.. Works with Windows 9x, ME, NT 4, 2000, XP
f.. Our RL-File-Conversion-Wizard is part of the package
g.. Converts cell alignments, font styles, etc.
h.. Excel helper macros to make migration easier
i.. No need for a Works installation
j.. Free Updates: Our registered customers can download the latest
version from our download area at any time

Two articles from Microsoft that deal with Works and the files it can
open/save as.

Works: Sharing Works Files with Other Programs
http://support.microsoft.com/default...B;en-ca;271080


Works: Limitations of Sharing Files with Excel
http://support.microsoft.com/default...B;en-ca;269273



--
Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany
"fgiord" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?Zmdpb3Jk?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      16th Dec 2004
Thanks,
I purchased a new computer and dumped all my files into it now the new one
doesn't have works so now I can't even open Works Word proccessor and the
Works database files!

"fgiord" wrote:

>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Frank Kabel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      16th Dec 2004
Hi
then either find a friend who still has Works installed (and let him convert
your files) or go for one of the commercial converters

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

fgiord wrote:
> Thanks,
> I purchased a new computer and dumped all my files into it now the
> new one doesn't have works so now I can't even open Works Word
> proccessor and the Works database files!
>
> "fgiord" wrote:



 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?Zmdpb3Jk?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      16th Dec 2004
Thanks Frank,

I guess I'll hook up the old computer and (start convert'n)

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

> Hi
> then either find a friend who still has Works installed (and let him convert
> your files) or go for one of the commercial converters
>
> --
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
>
> fgiord wrote:
> > Thanks,
> > I purchased a new computer and dumped all my files into it now the
> > new one doesn't have works so now I can't even open Works Word
> > proccessor and the Works database files!
> >
> > "fgiord" wrote:

>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
LeAnne
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      22nd Dec 2004
Frank Kabel wrote:

> Hi
> then either find a friend who still has Works installed (and let him convert
> your files) or go for one of the commercial converters
>

PMFJI -

Is that the poster's only option? I am able to open existing Works
spreadsheet files from XL(97 or 03)...select File > Open and then hit
the dropdown list for "Files of Type;" file formats with the extension
..wks are listed. Likewise, Word appears to be able to open word
processing files of filetype .wps.

hth,

LeAnne
 
Reply With Quote
 
LeAnne
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      22nd Dec 2004
PS. Here's more from the MS Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;271080

L.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Nick Hodge
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      22nd Dec 2004
LeAnne

For some reason known only to MS, they abandoned the converter for *.wks
(also used by Lotus as an extension) after V2 of Works, so any version after
that has to be saved as such in Works... seems mad to me too!

--
HTH
Nick Hodge
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Southampton, England
(E-Mail Removed)HIS


"LeAnne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Frank Kabel wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> then either find a friend who still has Works installed (and let him
>> convert your files) or go for one of the commercial converters
>>

> PMFJI -
>
> Is that the poster's only option? I am able to open existing Works
> spreadsheet files from XL(97 or 03)...select File > Open and then hit the
> dropdown list for "Files of Type;" file formats with the extension .wks
> are listed. Likewise, Word appears to be able to open word processing
> files of filetype .wps.
>
> hth,
>
> LeAnne



 
Reply With Quote
 
Frank Kabel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      22nd Dec 2004
Hi
at least my Excel would open only VERY old Works 2.0 files but not the newer
versions

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

LeAnne wrote:
> Frank Kabel wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> then either find a friend who still has Works installed (and let him
>> convert your files) or go for one of the commercial converters
>>

> PMFJI -
>
> Is that the poster's only option? I am able to open existing Works
> spreadsheet files from XL(97 or 03)...select File > Open and then hit
> the dropdown list for "Files of Type;" file formats with the extension
> .wks are listed. Likewise, Word appears to be able to open word
> processing files of filetype .wps.
>
> hth,
>
> LeAnne



 
Reply With Quote
 
LeAnne
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      22nd Dec 2004
Nick Hodge wrote:

> LeAnne
>
> For some reason known only to MS, they abandoned the converter for *.wks
> (also used by Lotus as an extension) after V2 of Works, so any version after
> that has to be saved as such in Works... seems mad to me too!
>


Hi Nick,

<sarcasm> Good ol' M$...</sarcasm>

Seriously, according to the KB article posted above:

"Microsoft Excel can open and view a Works Spreadsheet document in its
native (.xlr) format. A Works Spreadsheet document can be viewed with
any program that can open or view a Microsoft Excel worksheet.
Additionally, Spreadsheet can also open Backup files (.bks) and Text
files (.txt)."

L.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do I need Works 2000, + Works 2002 Setup Launcher, + Works 6.0 ? =?Utf-8?B?dG90bw==?= Windows XP New Users 1 8th Jul 2005 08:19 PM
How do I convert works file to excel without works software? =?Utf-8?B?Q2F0TUI=?= Microsoft Excel Misc 1 21st Jun 2005 04:12 PM
After rebooting my PC works, works, works! Antivirus problem? Adriano Anti-Virus 2 15th Dec 2003 06:30 AM
Re: After rebooting my PC works, works, works! Antivirus problem? Adriano Anti-Virus 1 15th Dec 2003 01:26 AM
Re: converting Works 3.0 files to Excel 2000 without Works GB Microsoft Excel Misc 0 8th Sep 2003 05:53 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:47 PM.