How do I convert my Outlook 2002 .pst file for use in Outlook 2003

JayD

      26th Apr 2008
Thanks to this forum, I was finally able to get my Outlook 2002 functioning
again. I was stymied by the "The messaging interface has returned an unknown
error" mystery ( 2GB limit). From help here, I was able to delete about 1000
emails to get my pst file down to about 1.3 GB after compacting. So that I
can avoid this same problem in the future, I'd like to go with Outlook 2003
that I understand has a 20 to 30 GB capacity. I want to use, if possible,
this current .pst data file because I have created many subfolders of my
inbox that I use daily. Can I do it? What are the steps?

Thanks,

Jay

Hal Hostetler [MVP-P/I]

      26th Apr 2008
You can certainly use the old .PST file, but it will still be limited in
size due to the format of the file - the old file is in ANSI format and
Outlook 2003 and later use Unicode format. There is no convenient way to
convert an old format file into a new format file, so the simplest thing to
do is drag and drop the contents of the old file into a new format file.
This wouldn't have to be done all at once because you can have more than one
..PST file attached to your Outlook profile; create a new format file, set it
as default, keep both files attached and move data at your leisure. You can
use the old file as long as you like without trouble so long as you don't
add data to it and run the risk of corrupting it

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

"JayD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks to this forum, I was finally able to get my Outlook 2002
> functioning
> again. I was stymied by the "The messaging interface has returned an
> unknown
> error" mystery ( 2GB limit). From help here, I was able to delete about
> 1000
> emails to get my pst file down to about 1.3 GB after compacting. So
> that I
> can avoid this same problem in the future, I'd like to go with Outlook
> 2003
> that I understand has a 20 to 30 GB capacity. I want to use, if
> possible,
> this current .pst data file because I have created many subfolders of my
> inbox that I use daily. Can I do it? What are the steps?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jay

JayD

      27th Apr 2008
Hal,

Thanks very much for your answers. I clearly understand the first part of
your answer but I'm not totally understanding the part about "drag and drop
the contents of the old file into a new file format file." If I have
Outlook open with the data file "old OL2002.pst" open and active, how do I
selectively choose 50-100-200 emails to drag and drop into "new OL2003.pst"
data file --- since it is not open and active? I'm not getting this part
yet. Can you please clarify this procedure?

Also, I enjoyed reading about the Bad News Blues Band. I'm sort of a
closet Blues fan. What's your conection to the band? Looks like a fun
group!

Thanks for your help.

Jay

"Hal Hostetler [MVP-P/I]" wrote:

> You can certainly use the old .PST file, but it will still be limited in
> size due to the format of the file - the old file is in ANSI format and
> Outlook 2003 and later use Unicode format. There is no convenient way to
> convert an old format file into a new format file, so the simplest thing to
> do is drag and drop the contents of the old file into a new format file.
> This wouldn't have to be done all at once because you can have more than one
> .PST file attached to your Outlook profile; create a new format file, set it
> as default, keep both files attached and move data at your leisure. You can
> use the old file as long as you like without trouble so long as you don't
> add data to it and run the risk of corrupting it
>
> Hal
> --
> Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- (E-Mail Removed)
> Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX
> Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com
>
> "JayD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks to this forum, I was finally able to get my Outlook 2002
> > functioning
> > again. I was stymied by the "The messaging interface has returned an
> > unknown
> > error" mystery ( 2GB limit). From help here, I was able to delete about
> > 1000
> > emails to get my pst file down to about 1.3 GB after compacting. So
> > that I
> > can avoid this same problem in the future, I'd like to go with Outlook
> > 2003
> > that I understand has a 20 to 30 GB capacity. I want to use, if
> > possible,
> > this current .pst data file because I have created many subfolders of my
> > inbox that I use daily. Can I do it? What are the steps?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jay

Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]

      28th Apr 2008
Ah, but the "new OL2003.pst" WILL be open and active; both can be attached,
open, and active, but only one can be the default delivery location. You've
got Outlook 2000 now and are moving to Outlook 2003; it should go something
like this:

1. Uninstall Outlook 2000. Your data files and profile information will
remain untouched by this. To be absolutely safe, you can make a copy (with
Outlook closed) of your .PST file and place it in a different folder
somewhere.

2. Install Outlook 2003. It should pick up your old profile information and
..PST file in the process. When finished, you should have Outlook 2003 with
profile, account, and data files (more or less) ready to go.

3. Use 'Tools|E-mail Accounts||View or change...' to create a new Outlook
data file in the new format and set it as default. Now, all new email will
go to this .PST file. You'll also see BOTH sets of folders in the folder
tree.

4. Drag stuff from the old folder set to the new folder set at your leisure.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- (E-Mail Removed)
Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com

> [...]

> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Thanks to this forum, I was finally able to get my Outlook 2002
> > > functioning
> > > again. I was stymied by the "The messaging interface has returned an
> > > unknown
> > > error" mystery ( 2GB limit). From help here, I was able to delete

about
> > > 1000
> > > emails to get my pst file down to about 1.3 GB after compacting. So
> > > that I
> > > can avoid this same problem in the future, I'd like to go with Outlook
> > > 2003
> > > that I understand has a 20 to 30 GB capacity. I want to use, if
> > > possible,
> > > this current .pst data file because I have created many subfolders of

my
> > > inbox that I use daily. Can I do it? What are the steps?

Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]

      28th Apr 2008
Oops, forgot about the band. My connection is weekend road manager, plus
they're all very dear friends, PLUS they play Smokin' hot Blues! Don't take
my word for it, their stuff is available on cdbaby.com; I think you'll like
what you hear...

Hal