PC Review

View Poll Results: Do computers make us lazy?
Yes, definitely! 749 44.72%
Yes, a little. 334 19.94%
Perhaps, other things more so. 170 10.15%
No, I don't think so. 422 25.19%
Voters: 1675. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.17 average.

Do computers make us lazy?

Dedicated Cruncher

4th Feb 2006
Kids have been discouraged from taking part in the games side of physical activity as they have not been taught how to lose with grace.
An old fart,
AKA
peahouse05

Chatter Box

5th Feb 2006
Yes, I'm afraid that now you are talking about eating habits and physical activity and that is a different subject altogether. I was never inclined towards sports, hate the stuff, long before I ever had a computer (back then you'd have found me with my nose in a book), but I always loved walking & swimming etc, I can't walk too far since I broke my back but asides from that I spend just as much time out in the garden or swiming down the local pool or beach as ever, (not to mention mucking around on John's boat, that's a new one started after I got 'into ' computers), despite the fact that I spend hours on my computer or xbox each day (except weekends). It is not computers that make people lazy, it's their choices.
Bottom line, escapism is escapism, whether it's a book, TV, computer, a rock concert(or opera depending on your taste) or console game. It is not a problem in itself, it only becomes a problem if you let it. If you are already lazy, or if you hate your 'real life' so much that you avoid it like the plague. Asides from that it is just mucking around and having fun. Ordinary play, same as any other.
Laziness is not new to this generation, I will not deny that many lazy people use the computer as an outlet and an excuse. But take them back a generation and they would've been avoiding their responsibilities just as hard. Maybe slacking on the job, or down the pub drinking when they should've been working, or parties & women, or in gossip & mills & boon books while the dishes grew flies & the kids begged for food. & to stay computers make kids lazy is the same as saying lego, board games, books & colouring books made kids of my 'generation' lazy.

Frankly computers have nothing to do with it. Playing (or working) on a computer doesn't make you lazy, it's just a toy or a tool.

And in reference to my friend in my last post. If that computer work really needed doing & he had promised people that he would do it and instead he skived off to the hills to spend his weekend tramping & climbing etc... then yes, he is being lazy. However much physical activity he is engaging in and however physically fit he might happen to be.

And Mr hypothetical fat guy who would love to spend his weekend playing with the kids or outside doing gardening, and instead spends it on his computer doing research for a friend who needs the information but doesn't know computers well enough to find it himself. Is he being lazy by spending that time on the computer instead of getting his quota of physical exercise? What do you think?

EDIT: Sorry Peahouse, I should've 'quoted' Reefsmoka as that was who I was replying to

I never said I was sane!

".... The weather is here... wish you were beautiful...."

Av by my daughter Tomo
Base by Meo 24 (Site down.)

Last edited by cirianz; 5th Feb 2006 at 12:51 AM..

4x4 Cruncher

5th Feb 2006
Er, in a word Yes!

I did try to explain to a friends 8 year old that, when i was her age, computers filled a whole room, and that her Dad's ZX81 was worth money nowadays.

But, then computers have changed my life, no more going out on a cold day to: shop, go to the bank & buy (yet) more pc goodies all on-line.

Well i'm off to walk the dog.......damm don't have a dog, can i buy one on-line?

Chatter Box

6th Feb 2006
ROFL, well I've got 2, I'll give you one at half price... she's on heat at the moment so it could be a high growth investment... lets see... say 4 puppies + original dog at 2 walks a day each = 10 walks per day... hey fitness supreme You got broadband? She might take a bit of thime to download on dialup... mind you, she might run into some other dog in cyberspace & pick up the puppies without any energy expenditure at all! Damn, computers are making even my dog lazy!!!!

I never said I was sane!

Av by my daughter Tomo

6th Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirianz
Again... how do you define laziness? Is it as in "not engaging in physical activity"?

.)

well my definition with respect to this form consists of:

online banking
online shopping
emailing
msn messenger

take just these 4 things away from the average Joy and they woulndt be sitting at home, they would be out there in the Quees or instead of sending an email to their friends they would go out there to meet em
hence = less LAZY!

thats my POV!

7th Feb 2006
Cars?

Chatter Box

7th Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriplexDread
Cars?
Yes, good point triplex. Cars have definitely made us lazier... It's probably only hour & half to cycle into town, used to cycle 2 hours each way to go horse riding at the local sheep station when I was in my teens but will you catch me biking into town now when I can go in a car? Yeah, right!
Do I think that's a bad thing? ROFLMAO

& TO PSD... sorry but I did my time standing around in L-O-N-G queues getting sore feet, sore backs surrounded by tired, bored, whining or crying children (some of whom were my own) & irritable tired adults checking their watches & wondering if they'll be done in time to catch the next bus, or before their lunch break is over. Sorry, it didn't make me less lazy... just too exhausted to do anything else. & remember... the queues were a lot longer when No-one had internet than they are today. Do you remember the queues in the bank on payday? Everyone waiting, hoping to be able to cash their pay cheque before their lunch break was over... because of course the banks were closed by 4pm... You couldn't do your banking after work. Would I want to go back to spending my entire lunch break standing in a queue? Am I lazy for not wanting to? If that is the definition of lazyness then I'm as lazy as they come! Roll on internet banking & shopping.

And, an additional bone to chuck into the fray, but, given that shops generally closed at 5pm... how did the shopping get done? Without internet shopping then for most families, especially those with children, then in order to shop someone had to be available for the task during working hours. And I'm sorry, but for most people 'retail therapy' (ie shopping for fun) simply wasn't an option before the internet opened up the oportunity for a second family income (who else remembers the late 80's early 90's and the advent of the 'supermum' phenomenon). Shopping was generally NOT a nice fun activity, where you stood around with half full baskets, chatting with Mrs Jones about the weather or whatever, like you might see on some cutesy TV programe. It was simply wasted time... Time you could've spent making kites or playing ball with your kids... you instead spent dragging them through some masochistic torture of boredom & misery for you both. If I can get the product without the misery... myself I don't think that makes me lazy... just psychologically healthy.

And email? Well, if you've got buss fare I'd be quite happy to pop up & visit milk, no sugar in my tea. I was never any good at letter writing (always kept forgetting to post them) So many friends I would've lost touch with when they went overseas. & so many friends I would never have made all around the world were it not for email & for forums like this one.

& msn? Sorry but IM has been around for a very long time now. We used to call it the telephone but it filled the same function. For me msn is generally better because I'm a little bit deaf & often have trouble on the phone if there is background noise around. Yay msn.

If these things define lazyness then I must be wallowing in a nice little piggery & believe me, I'm quite happy here.
These things make life easier, expand our world and give us more free time to spend however we choose... they do not make us lazy... IMO anyway

I never said I was sane!

Av by my daughter Tomo

Last edited by cirianz; 7th Feb 2006 at 03:05 AM..

7th Feb 2006
At last a woman that makes sense

I agree with everything you said. Not to be condescending, but well said

You and I will get on just fine lol

Chatter Box

7th Feb 2006
LOL, maybe I spent too much time climbing trees & flying kites instead of playing barbie when i was a kid

I never said I was sane!

Av by my daughter Tomo

Captain Crunchie, Retired

8th Feb 2006
Computers do not make us 'lazy' ... we do that just fine on our own.

<a href=http://www.perpetuum-online.com/Main target=_blank>http://www.perpetuum-online.com/Main</a>

I am the dreadful menace. The one whose will is done. The haunting chill upon your neck. I am the Conundrum.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: