how do i CLONE a machine and then give it it's own license?

Jeff W

      16th Aug 2005
Ok - I just inherited a used 2GHz PC + monitor. I want to make
it a clone of an existing XP PC (yes, I'm willing to pay
for another XP license).

So, I do an image-copy of my original PC's hard disk onto a
blank disk, plug the disk into the machine, do a repair-install
(to mate to the new hardware) and I should be fine.

Except - I now have 2 machines on the same license.

I -THINK- what will happen is that the new machine will
detect the changed hardware and ask me to re-validate -
with (I hope) an option to give it a new key. Otherwise,
I'm confused as to how I fix things...

thanks!
/j

Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)

      16th Aug 2005
Jeff

You either buy a new license or boxed version of XP and then do a repair
install on the clone.. for more on repair installs, go to here..

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Jeff W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok - I just inherited a used 2GHz PC + monitor. I want to make
> it a clone of an existing XP PC (yes, I'm willing to pay
> for another XP license).
>
> So, I do an image-copy of my original PC's hard disk onto a
> blank disk, plug the disk into the machine, do a repair-install
> (to mate to the new hardware) and I should be fine.
>
> Except - I now have 2 machines on the same license.
>
> I -THINK- what will happen is that the new machine will
> detect the changed hardware and ask me to re-validate -
> with (I hope) an option to give it a new key. Otherwise,
> I'm confused as to how I fix things...
>
> thanks!
> /j

Jeff W

      16th Aug 2005
Well, yes, I intended to buy a license, and yes, i'm sure the
answer to my question is somewhere on your large and deep website.

So thanks, I guess, though I don't -feel- any wiser? 8-}

perhaps a link to the 'right' answer on your site would help?
/j

Squire

      16th Aug 2005
Mike, if the original OS is over 180 days old, can't it be used on another
machine ?

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jeff
>
> You either buy a new license or boxed version of XP and then do a repair
> install on the clone.. for more on repair installs, go to here..
>
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com
>

> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>

> "Jeff W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ok - I just inherited a used 2GHz PC + monitor. I want to make
>> it a clone of an existing XP PC (yes, I'm willing to pay
>> for another XP license).
>>
>> So, I do an image-copy of my original PC's hard disk onto a
>> blank disk, plug the disk into the machine, do a repair-install
>> (to mate to the new hardware) and I should be fine.
>>
>> Except - I now have 2 machines on the same license.
>>
>> I -THINK- what will happen is that the new machine will
>> detect the changed hardware and ask me to re-validate -
>> with (I hope) an option to give it a new key. Otherwise,
>> I'm confused as to how I fix things...
>>
>> thanks!
>> /j

Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)

      16th Aug 2005
Jeff

It is probably cheaper to go along to your local store or one of the major
stores online and get a new copy of XP than it is to buy a license..

The website that I gave you is the best.. Michael Stevens puts warnings out
because installation processes can and do go wrong..

I recently ran the repair install on a system.. I could hear thunder miles
away, only just detectable, then the power died.. I had to do a full system
install after that, because the repair install corrupted so badly.. it
happens..

The truth is that repair installs go great in good weather.. Michael's
procedure is easy enough to follow, and once you are through it, you will
wonder why you worried in the first place..

The link on Michael's website for repair installs was the 6th entry on the
left in the vertical menu.. to save you looking for it, here is a link that
will take you directly to the page

Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Jeff W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, yes, I intended to buy a license, and yes, i'm sure the
> answer to my question is somewhere on your large and deep website.
>
> So thanks, I guess, though I don't -feel- any wiser? 8-}
>
> perhaps a link to the 'right' answer on your site would help?
> /j

Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)

      16th Aug 2005
Squire

As I understand, if a Windows installation is older than 120 days, the next
time the CD is used for installation, one can activate over the internet..
any period before the 120 days invokes the need to call for activation..
this process is automated and easy to follow..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

news:(E-Mail Removed)...