How do I clear the dirty bit?

Nightcrawler

      20th Jun 2004
I used fsutil to force the dirty bit on my "C" drive, and now it will not clear.
Not too major a problem, but the disk degragger won't work anymore, because
the "bit" is set.

Anyone know of a way to clear the "dirty bit"? Chkdsk isn't doing it, so, I figure
there's got to be another way.

TIA

VManes

      20th Jun 2004
Are you using chkdsk /f ?

--
Bringing you BeadWizard Design Software
www.beadwizard.com

"Nightcrawler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
I used fsutil to force the dirty bit on my "C" drive, and now it will not
clear.
Not too major a problem, but the disk degragger won't work anymore, because
the "bit" is set.

Anyone know of a way to clear the "dirty bit"? Chkdsk isn't doing it, so, I
figure
there's got to be another way.

TIA

Wesley Vogel

      20th Jun 2004
Check Disk runs on every boot

Autochk.exe is a version of Chkdsk that runs only before Windows XP starts.
Autochk runs in the following situations:

Autochk runs if you try to run Chkdsk on the boot volume.
Autochk runs if Chkdsk cannot gain exclusive use of the volume.
Autochk runs if the volume is flagged as dirty.

This can happen if the drive's dirty bit is set.
When a drive's dirty bit is set, autochk automatically checks the volume for
errors the next time the computer is restarted.

Start | Run | Type: cmd | OK |

Type: fsutil dirty query C:

Hit ENTER

This will report whether the dirty bit is set.
Volume C: is not dirty
Volume C: is dirty
[[If a volume's dirty bit is set, this indicates that the file system may be
in an inconsistent state. The dirty bit can be set because the volume is
online and has outstanding changes, because changes were made to the volume
and the computer shutdown before the changes were committed to disk, or
because corruption was detected on the volume. If the dirty bit is set when
the computer restarts, chkdsk runs to verify the consistency of the volume.

Every time Windows XP starts, Autochk.exe is called by the Kernel to scan
all volumes to check if the volume dirty bit is set. If the dirty bit is
set, autochk performs an immediate chkdsk /f on that volume. Chkdsk /f
verifies file system integrity and attempts to fix any problems with the
volume.]]
==========

If this is not the problem.....

Go here:

Read the instructions at the top of the page.
Scroll down to:
82. Disable or Enable Check Disk Upon Boot
Click on Disable.
============

Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

Look for the REG_MULTI_SZ value with the following name: BootExecute.
This value contains commands that will be executed at startup. The
default value is: autocheck autochk *

If you don't want any checks to be performed, delete all autocheck
entries.
====

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
Name: BootExecute
Type: REG_MULTI_SZ
Data: Blank, nothing, nada, white space, air
===========

Try this: Open a command prompt and type "chkdsk /f c:" (or whatever the
drive letter is). Then reboot. This should fix it. It has a "dirty bit" set,
and chkdsk needs to clear it.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Nightcrawler <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
> I used fsutil to force the dirty bit on my "C" drive, and now it will
> not clear. Not too major a problem, but the disk degragger won't work
> anymore, because
> the "bit" is set.
>
> Anyone know of a way to clear the "dirty bit"? Chkdsk isn't doing
> it, so, I figure there's got to be another way.
>
> TIA

=?Utf-8?B?am9obmRtZXM=?=

      8th Jul 2004

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [...]
> Name: BootExecute
> Type: REG_MULTI_SZ
> Data: Blank, nothing, nada, white space, air
> ===========
>
> Try this: Open a command prompt and type "chkdsk /f c:" (or whatever the
> drive letter is). Then reboot. This should fix it. It has a "dirty bit" set,
> and chkdsk needs to clear it.
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> Nightcrawler <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
> > I used fsutil to force the dirty bit on my "C" drive, and now it will
> > not clear. Not too major a problem, but the disk degragger won't work
> > anymore, because
> > the "bit" is set.
> >
> > Anyone know of a way to clear the "dirty bit"? Chkdsk isn't doing
> > it, so, I figure there's got to be another way.

Wesley et al;

I have a similar problem to the one here (though I *DIDN'T* force the dirty bit manually - it set itself.). I went ahead through all of your steps listed here - no dice, both FSUtil and Diskeeper 8 both reported the dirty bit as set. Finally went ahead and used the GUI methos of running chkdsk /f (Disk Properties->Tools->Error Checking) and it finall cleared the bit. WOOT! I said, time to run the Diskeeper boot-level defrag!

Set Diskeeper to do it's thing, and rebooted. This was the *ONLY* thing I did that session. On next reboot - Diskeepr defrag won't run, disk is dirty again. *sigh*.

Is there *any* way other than chkdsk /f to force the dirty bit clear and keep it clear? This is really getting tiresome.

New Member

      26th Sep 2008
THANKS - "chkdsk /f c:" helped very nice for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Vogel

Data: Blank, nothing, nada, white space, air
===========

Try this: Open a command prompt and type "chkdsk /f c:" (or whatever the
drive letter is). Then reboot. This should fix it. It has a "dirty bit" set,
and chkdsk needs to clear it.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Nightcrawler hunted and pecked:
> I used fsutil to force the dirty bit on my "C" drive, and now it will
> not clear. Not too major a problem, but the disk degragger won't work
> anymore, because
> the "bit" is set.
>
> Anyone know of a way to clear the "dirty bit"? Chkdsk isn't doing
> it, so, I figure there's got to be another way.
>
> TIA

New Member

      7th Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
I used fsutil to force the dirty bit on my "C" drive, and now it will not clear.
Not too major a problem, but the disk degragger won't work anymore, because
the "bit" is set.

Anyone know of a way to clear the "dirty bit"? Chkdsk isn't doing it, so, I figure
there's got to be another way.

TIA
how to fix it.

First click Start> Run> and bring up a command prompt by typing in "CMD" and then type "fsutil dirty query d:" <drive letter as your requirement C: or whtsoever> but without the quotes. This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty. Next, type "CHKNTFS /X D:". The X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

Once Windows has fully loaded, bring up another CMD prompt and now you want to do a Chkdsk manually by typing "Chkdsk /f /r d:". This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that dirty bit. Finally, type "fsutil dirty query d:" and Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive. Good luck

Last edited by ziapcland; 7th Sep 2012 at 01:06 PM..