How do I allow a user to insert signature into a protected form?

Greg

      30th Oct 2008
I'm creating a simple protected form that is a series of text fields and
check boxes in Word 2007. Does anyone know the easiest way to do this?

Thanks,
Greg

finalword

      30th Oct 2008
What sort of signature are you looking to insert? You could add a Text box
so that they type their name, but I'm betting that you are looking for more
than this. Can you provide further information?

"Greg" wrote:

> I'm creating a simple protected form that is a series of text fields and
> check boxes in Word 2007. Does anyone know the easiest way to do this?
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

Graham Mayor

      31st Oct 2008
If your users are known in advance you could setup a dropdown field with
their names and call the signature files based on the result. The principle
is that at http://www.gmayor.com/SelectFile.htm, which can be used with
IncludePicture or Autotext fields instead.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

Greg wrote:
> I'm creating a simple protected form that is a series of text fields
> and check boxes in Word 2007. Does anyone know the easiest way to do
> this?
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

Greg

      31st Oct 2008
Sorry, I should've provided more detail.

I need the user to insert an image file of their hand-written signature.
Unfortunately I don't know the end users, so it can't be solved by using a
drop down menu.

Other ideas?

Thanks,
Greg

"finalword" wrote:

> What sort of signature are you looking to insert? You could add a Text box
> so that they type their name, but I'm betting that you are looking for more
> than this. Can you provide further information?
>
> "Greg" wrote:
>
> > I'm creating a simple protected form that is a series of text fields and
> > check boxes in Word 2007. Does anyone know the easiest way to do this?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Greg

Graham Mayor

      31st Oct 2008
In that case you will have to leave an unprotected section in which users
can insert the image of choice.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

Greg wrote:
> Sorry, I should've provided more detail.
>
> I need the user to insert an image file of their hand-written
> signature. Unfortunately I don't know the end users, so it can't be
> solved by using a drop down menu.
>
> Other ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Greg
>
> "finalword" wrote:
>
>> What sort of signature are you looking to insert? You could add a
>> Text box so that they type their name, but I'm betting that you are
>> looking for more than this. Can you provide further information?
>>
>> "Greg" wrote:
>>
>>> I'm creating a simple protected form that is a series of text
>>> fields and check boxes in Word 2007. Does anyone know the easiest
>>> way to do this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Greg

Greg

      31st Oct 2008
Thanks Graham,

How do you do that in Word 2007?

Greg

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

> In that case you will have to leave an unprotected section in which users
> can insert the image of choice.
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor - Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> Greg wrote:
> > Sorry, I should've provided more detail.
> >
> > I need the user to insert an image file of their hand-written
> > signature. Unfortunately I don't know the end users, so it can't be
> > solved by using a drop down menu.
> >
> > Other ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Greg
> >
> > "finalword" wrote:
> >
> >> What sort of signature are you looking to insert? You could add a
> >> Text box so that they type their name, but I'm betting that you are
> >> looking for more than this. Can you provide further information?

Graham Mayor

      31st Oct 2008
Insert a section break before the space where the image will go. (and one
after it if not at the end).
From the developer tab > Protect document > restrict Formatting & Editing >
Editing Restrictions > Filling In Forms > Select sections > Check all but
the section to be unprotected. > Start Enforcing Protection.
For creating forms in 2007 see also
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Classic%20Form%20Controls.htm

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

Greg wrote:
> Thanks Graham,
>
> How do you do that in Word 2007?
>
> Greg
>
> "Graham Mayor" wrote:
>
>> In that case you will have to leave an unprotected section in which
>> users can insert the image of choice.
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor - Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> Greg wrote:
>>> Sorry, I should've provided more detail.
>>>
>>> I need the user to insert an image file of their hand-written
>>> signature. Unfortunately I don't know the end users, so it can't be
>>> solved by using a drop down menu.
>>>
>>> Other ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Greg

Greg

      31st Oct 2008
Thanks a ton! That worked. One final question related to this solution is
whether it's possible to make a section break that doesn't cause a line break.

Greg

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

> Insert a section break before the space where the image will go. (and one
> after it if not at the end).
> From the developer tab > Protect document > restrict Formatting & Editing >
> Editing Restrictions > Filling In Forms > Select sections > Check all but
> the section to be unprotected. > Start Enforcing Protection.
> For creating forms in 2007 see also
> http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Classic%20Form%20Controls.htm
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor - Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> Greg wrote:
> > Thanks Graham,
> >
> > How do you do that in Word 2007?
> >
> > Greg
> >
> > "Graham Mayor" wrote:
> >
> >> In that case you will have to leave an unprotected section in which
> >> users can insert the image of choice.
> >>
> >> --
> >> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> >> Graham Mayor - Word MVP
> >>
> >> My web site www.gmayor.com
> >> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> >> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

Graham Mayor

      31st Oct 2008
If you put it after a paragraph mark, you should be able to delete the extra
paragraph mark without deleting the break. Display by clicking on the home
tab (or CTRL+*)

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

Greg wrote:
> Thanks a ton! That worked. One final question related to this
> solution is whether it's possible to make a section break that
> doesn't cause a line break.
>
> Greg
>
> "Graham Mayor" wrote:
>
>> Insert a section break before the space where the image will go.
>> (and one after it if not at the end).
>> From the developer tab > Protect document > restrict Formatting &
>> Editing > Editing Restrictions > Filling In Forms > Select sections
>> > Check all but the section to be unprotected. > Start Enforcing

>> Protection.
>> For creating forms in 2007 see also
>> http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Classic%20Form%20Controls.htm
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor - Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> Greg wrote:
>>> Thanks Graham,
>>>
>>> How do you do that in Word 2007?
>>>
>>> Greg

Greg

      31st Oct 2008
I couldn't get that to work for my purposes because I want to put text on the
same line, after the section break. But I found a work-around in case there's
no way to put text on a line after a section break.

Thanks again for all the help!
Greg