How do I add the Adobe PDF reader activex control to a form?

Rob Harrington

      18th May 2009
In Access 2007 - I clicked activex controls on the design tab and selected
PDF reader. I tried entering the URL that points to my PDF file (stored in a
SharePoint document library) in the src property for this control, but it
doesn't stick. It blanks out my entry as soon as I hit enter. I then tried to
set the src property programattically in the onload event for the form, but
there is no src property listed for this control when I am in the VB editor.

Am I going about this wrong. I want to embed the display of a PDF document
in my form without having to click the link and have it open in another
window.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Rob Harrington

Arvin Meyer MVP

      18th May 2009
Early Adobe ActiveX did this, but Adobe made it more difficult starting with
version 5.0. You might try using an IE browser control and open PDF document
within that.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

"Rob Harrington" <Rob http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In Access 2007 - I clicked activex controls on the design tab and selected
> PDF reader. I tried entering the URL that points to my PDF file (stored in
> SharePoint document library) in the src property for this control, but it
> doesn't stick. It blanks out my entry as soon as I hit enter. I then tried
> set the src property programattically in the onload event for the form,
> but
> there is no src property listed for this control when I am in the VB
> editor.
>
> Am I going about this wrong. I want to embed the display of a PDF document
> in my form without having to click the link and have it open in another
> window.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> -Rob Harrington

Rob Harrington

      18th May 2009
Thank you Arvin. Where do I find the browser control? it doesn't show up as
one of the available activeX controls. Can you point me to an example or
documentation?

-Rob Harrington

"Arvin Meyer MVP" wrote:

> Early Adobe ActiveX did this, but Adobe made it more difficult starting with
> version 5.0. You might try using an IE browser control and open PDF document
> within that.
> --
> Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
> http://www.datastrat.com
> http://www.mvps.org/access
> http://www.accessmvp.com
>

> "Rob Harrington" <Rob (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In Access 2007 - I clicked activex controls on the design tab and selected
> > PDF reader. I tried entering the URL that points to my PDF file (stored in
> > SharePoint document library) in the src property for this control, but it
> > doesn't stick. It blanks out my entry as soon as I hit enter. I then tried
> > set the src property programattically in the onload event for the form,
> > but
> > there is no src property listed for this control when I am in the VB
> > editor.
> >
> > Am I going about this wrong. I want to embed the display of a PDF document
> > in my form without having to click the link and have it open in another
> > window.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help.
> >
> > -Rob Harrington

Rob Harrington

      18th May 2009
I figured out how to turn on the web browser control and I added it to my
form, but when I try webBrowser3.Navigate = "www.mydomain.com" I get an error
that this method is not supported. I don't see a SRC or URL method - how to I
send a URL to my control?

-Rob

"Rob Harrington" wrote:

> Thank you Arvin. Where do I find the browser control? it doesn't show up as
> one of the available activeX controls. Can you point me to an example or
> documentation?
>
> -Rob Harrington
>
> "Arvin Meyer MVP" wrote:
>
> > Early Adobe ActiveX did this, but Adobe made it more difficult starting with
> > version 5.0. You might try using an IE browser control and open PDF document
> > within that.
> > --
> > Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
> > http://www.datastrat.com
> > http://www.mvps.org/access
> > http://www.accessmvp.com
> >

> > "Rob Harrington" <Rob (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > In Access 2007 - I clicked activex controls on the design tab and selected
> > > PDF reader. I tried entering the URL that points to my PDF file (stored in
> > > SharePoint document library) in the src property for this control, but it
> > > doesn't stick. It blanks out my entry as soon as I hit enter. I then tried
> > > set the src property programattically in the onload event for the form,
> > > but
> > > there is no src property listed for this control when I am in the VB
> > > editor.
> > >
> > > Am I going about this wrong. I want to embed the display of a PDF document
> > > in my form without having to click the link and have it open in another
> > > window.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for your help.
> > >
> > > -Rob Harrington

Douglas J. Steele

      18th May 2009
What happens if you try

webBrowser3.Navigate = "http://www.mydomain.com"

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"Rob Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I figured out how to turn on the web browser control and I added it to my
> form, but when I try webBrowser3.Navigate = "www.mydomain.com" I get an
> error
> that this method is not supported. I don't see a SRC or URL method - how
> to I
> send a URL to my control?
>
> -Rob
>
> "Rob Harrington" wrote:
>
>> Thank you Arvin. Where do I find the browser control? it doesn't show up
>> as
>> one of the available activeX controls. Can you point me to an example or
>> documentation?
>>
>> -Rob Harrington
>>
>> "Arvin Meyer MVP" wrote:
>>
>> > Early Adobe ActiveX did this, but Adobe made it more difficult starting
>> > with
>> > version 5.0. You might try using an IE browser control and open PDF
>> > document
>> > within that.
>> > --
>> > Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
>> > http://www.datastrat.com
>> > http://www.mvps.org/access
>> > http://www.accessmvp.com
>> >

>> > "Rob Harrington" <Rob (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> > message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Arvin Meyer MVP

      19th May 2009
Navigate is the correct method. You need to use the http:// protocol, or for
local files, you need the full qualified path.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

"Rob Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I figured out how to turn on the web browser control and I added it to my
> form, but when I try webBrowser3.Navigate = "www.mydomain.com" I get an
> error
> that this method is not supported. I don't see a SRC or URL method - how
> to I
> send a URL to my control?
>
> -Rob
>
> "Rob Harrington" wrote:
>
>> Thank you Arvin. Where do I find the browser control? it doesn't show up
>> as
>> one of the available activeX controls. Can you point me to an example or
>> documentation?
>>
>> -Rob Harrington
>>
>> "Arvin Meyer MVP" wrote:
>>
>> > Early Adobe ActiveX did this, but Adobe made it more difficult starting
>> > with
>> > version 5.0. You might try using an IE browser control and open PDF
>> > document
>> > within that.
>> > --
>> > Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
>> > http://www.datastrat.com
>> > http://www.mvps.org/access
>> > http://www.accessmvp.com
>> >

>> > "Rob Harrington" <Rob (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> > message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

New Member
Location: Brisbane, Australia

      5th Apr 2011
Probably a bit late but thought I would update.

I am using the Adobe PDF Reader as an ActiveX Control on an Access 2007 form.

The OnLoad event for the form has the following line:

Me.Controlname.Object.src = "PDF_URL"

or

Me.Controlname.Object.src = "full file path"

New Member

      19th Feb 2012
Thanks Red17, you never know, its never too late. this came in handy just yesterday. Thanks.