How do i activate "grayed out" or missing FrontPage 2000 icon on .

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9lIFZveWxlcw==?=

      23rd Jan 2005
My FrontPage icon on the toolbar of Internet Explorer doesn't always actively
display or even disappears occasionally, even when i am on a site I designed
using Front Page 2000. Strangely, sometimes it does appear active on other
sites, those i did not design. It is making it hard for me to use FrontPage
to edit my sites. Any idea why this is happening? I just reinstalled Office
2000 and downloaded all the updates, but it makes no difference. Sometimes it
will display an inactive (grayed out) FrontPage icon for a site i designed
but when i revisit that site minutes later it is suddenly active. It seems to
be a random problem. Could it be be caused by IE6?

Thomas A. Rowe

      23rd Jan 2005
You really should open your sites directly in FP using File Menu | Open Web / Site, not via the IE
Edit with command.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
http://www.ycoln-resources.com
FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

"Joe Voyles" <Joe (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My FrontPage icon on the toolbar of Internet Explorer doesn't always actively
> display or even disappears occasionally, even when i am on a site I designed
> using Front Page 2000. Strangely, sometimes it does appear active on other
> sites, those i did not design. It is making it hard for me to use FrontPage
> to edit my sites. Any idea why this is happening? I just reinstalled Office
> 2000 and downloaded all the updates, but it makes no difference. Sometimes it
> will display an inactive (grayed out) FrontPage icon for a site i designed
> but when i revisit that site minutes later it is suddenly active. It seems to
> be a random problem. Could it be be caused by IE6?

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9lIFZveWxlcw==?=

      23rd Jan 2005
Thanks, but I have never been able to use FrontPage in that way i.e. "Open
Web" -- probably because i sometimes edit pages in html via FTP(whenever it's
faster) and I orignally created many of my pages in html.
Besides, i f i shouldn't be opening Front Page via the icon then why have
the icon?It has worked for me in the past (since 2000) but not lately. I do
not use the Front Page templates or navigation aids because my sites are
hundreds of pages in size, some from the mid-90s, created via a mix of html
and FrontPage.
Joe Voyles

"Thomas A. Rowe" wrote:

> You really should open your sites directly in FP using File Menu | Open Web / Site, not via the IE
> Edit with command.

> Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
> WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
> http://www.ycoln-resources.com
> FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
> To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
> http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
>
> "Joe Voyles" <Joe (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My FrontPage icon on the toolbar of Internet Explorer doesn't always actively
> > display or even disappears occasionally, even when i am on a site I designed
> > using Front Page 2000. Strangely, sometimes it does appear active on other
> > sites, those i did not design. It is making it hard for me to use FrontPage
> > to edit my sites. Any idea why this is happening? I just reinstalled Office
> > 2000 and downloaded all the updates, but it makes no difference. Sometimes it
> > will display an inactive (grayed out) FrontPage icon for a site i designed
> > but when i revisit that site minutes later it is suddenly active. It seems to
> > be a random problem. Could it be be caused by IE6?

Thomas A. Rowe

      23rd Jan 2005
It really depends on the how the web host has configured their servers, whether the ability to use
the Edit With command is active. If the command is not showing, that is an issue with your local PC.

If you use the FP File Menu | Open Web / Site you know for sure that you have a web open and not
just a page within the web, which should always happen anyway when you do use the Edit With command.

Also if the remote server has the FP extensions, you really should never change content outside of
FP, no matter how fast, as cause you live/remote copy to be out of sync with your local copy and it
doesn't matter whether you are using FP themes, navigation or other FP component, FP strongest point
is it ability to manage your site content, which is broken when you work outside of FP.

Using FTP may be the reason why you can open the site directly in FP, but make sure that you are
enter the URL as http://www.yourdomainname.com/ You may have try with and without the trailing
slash.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
http://www.ycoln-resources.com
FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

"Joe Voyles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks, but I have never been able to use FrontPage in that way i.e. "Open
> Web" -- probably because i sometimes edit pages in html via FTP(whenever it's
> faster) and I orignally created many of my pages in html.
> Besides, i f i shouldn't be opening Front Page via the icon then why have
> the icon?It has worked for me in the past (since 2000) but not lately. I do
> not use the Front Page templates or navigation aids because my sites are
> hundreds of pages in size, some from the mid-90s, created via a mix of html
> and FrontPage.
> Joe Voyles
>
> "Thomas A. Rowe" wrote:
>
>> You really should open your sites directly in FP using File Menu | Open Web / Site, not via the
>> IE
>> Edit with command.
>>
>> --
>> Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
>> WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
>> http://www.ycoln-resources.com
>> FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
>> To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
>> http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
>>
>> "Joe Voyles" <Joe (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > My FrontPage icon on the toolbar of Internet Explorer doesn't always actively
>> > display or even disappears occasionally, even when i am on a site I designed
>> > using Front Page 2000. Strangely, sometimes it does appear active on other
>> > sites, those i did not design. It is making it hard for me to use FrontPage
>> > to edit my sites. Any idea why this is happening? I just reinstalled Office
>> > 2000 and downloaded all the updates, but it makes no difference. Sometimes it
>> > will display an inactive (grayed out) FrontPage icon for a site i designed
>> > but when i revisit that site minutes later it is suddenly active. It seems to
>> > be a random problem. Could it be be caused by IE6?

Chuck Davis

      23rd Jan 2005
Joe,
The reason for being able to open the site live is to reset functions that
only reside on the server, i.e., hit counters.
The joy of having your host's files exactly match that on your computer will
come the day that your hosting company shuts down without notice. Then all
that you will have to do is to transfer the domain to another host and
Publish your hard drive based site to the new host. It's called back up.
"Joe Voyles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks, but I have never been able to use FrontPage in that way i.e. "Open
> Web" -- probably because i sometimes edit pages in html via FTP(whenever
> it's
> faster) and I orignally created many of my pages in html.
> Besides, i f i shouldn't be opening Front Page via the icon then why have
> the icon?It has worked for me in the past (since 2000) but not lately. I
> do
> not use the Front Page templates or navigation aids because my sites are
> hundreds of pages in size, some from the mid-90s, created via a mix of
> html
> and FrontPage.
> Joe Voyles
>
> "Thomas A. Rowe" wrote:
>
>> You really should open your sites directly in FP using File Menu | Open
>> Web / Site, not via the IE
>> Edit with command.
>>
>> --
>> Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
>> WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
>> http://www.ycoln-resources.com
>> FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
>> To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
>> http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
>>
>> "Joe Voyles" <Joe (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > My FrontPage icon on the toolbar of Internet Explorer doesn't always
>> > actively
>> > display or even disappears occasionally, even when i am on a site I
>> > designed
>> > using Front Page 2000. Strangely, sometimes it does appear active on
>> > other
>> > sites, those i did not design. It is making it hard for me to use
>> > FrontPage
>> > to edit my sites. Any idea why this is happening? I just reinstalled
>> > Office
>> > 2000 and downloaded all the updates, but it makes no difference.
>> > Sometimes it
>> > will display an inactive (grayed out) FrontPage icon for a site i
>> > designed
>> > but when i revisit that site minutes later it is suddenly active. It
>> > seems to
>> > be a random problem. Could it be be caused by IE6?

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9lIFZveWxlcw==?=

      23rd Jan 2005
I'm wondering if the problem could be in my operating system (XP). Everything
works fine when I use my laptop (also XP) but this problem only occurs with
my desktop PC. Both computers use the same OS, same browser, same version of
Front Page, etc. and obviously the same host.
jv

"Thomas A. Rowe" wrote:

> It really depends on the how the web host has configured their servers, whether the ability to use
> the Edit With command is active. If the command is not showing, that is an issue with your local PC.
>
> If you use the FP File Menu | Open Web / Site you know for sure that you have a web open and not
> just a page within the web, which should always happen anyway when you do use the Edit With command.
>
> Also if the remote server has the FP extensions, you really should never change content outside of
> FP, no matter how fast, as cause you live/remote copy to be out of sync with your local copy and it
> doesn't matter whether you are using FP themes, navigation or other FP component, FP strongest point
> is it ability to manage your site content, which is broken when you work outside of FP.
>
> Using FTP may be the reason why you can open the site directly in FP, but make sure that you are
> enter the URL as http://www.yourdomainname.com/ You may have try with and without the trailing
> slash.

> Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
> WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
> http://www.ycoln-resources.com
> FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
> To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
> http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
>
> "Joe Voyles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks, but I have never been able to use FrontPage in that way i.e. "Open
> > Web" -- probably because i sometimes edit pages in html via FTP(whenever it's
> > faster) and I orignally created many of my pages in html.
> > Besides, i f i shouldn't be opening Front Page via the icon then why have
> > the icon?It has worked for me in the past (since 2000) but not lately. I do
> > not use the Front Page templates or navigation aids because my sites are
> > hundreds of pages in size, some from the mid-90s, created via a mix of html
> > and FrontPage.
> > Joe Voyles
> >
> > "Thomas A. Rowe" wrote:
> >
> >> You really should open your sites directly in FP using File Menu | Open Web / Site, not via the
> >> IE
> >> Edit with command.
> >>
> >> --
> >> ==============================================
> >> Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
> >> WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
> >> http://www.ycoln-resources.com
> >> FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
> >> ==============================================
> >> To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
> >> http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
> >>
> >> "Joe Voyles" <Joe (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Thomas A. Rowe

      23rd Jan 2005
On your desktop, clear your IE Cache folder.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
http://www.ycoln-resources.com
FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

"Joe Voyles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm wondering if the problem could be in my operating system (XP). Everything
> works fine when I use my laptop (also XP) but this problem only occurs with
> my desktop PC. Both computers use the same OS, same browser, same version of
> Front Page, etc. and obviously the same host.
> jv
>
> "Thomas A. Rowe" wrote:
>
>> It really depends on the how the web host has configured their servers, whether the ability to
>> use
>> the Edit With command is active. If the command is not showing, that is an issue with your local
>> PC.
>>
>> If you use the FP File Menu | Open Web / Site you know for sure that you have a web open and not
>> just a page within the web, which should always happen anyway when you do use the Edit With
>> command.
>>
>> Also if the remote server has the FP extensions, you really should never change content outside
>> of
>> FP, no matter how fast, as cause you live/remote copy to be out of sync with your local copy and
>> it
>> doesn't matter whether you are using FP themes, navigation or other FP component, FP strongest
>> point
>> is it ability to manage your site content, which is broken when you work outside of FP.
>>
>> Using FTP may be the reason why you can open the site directly in FP, but make sure that you are
>> enter the URL as http://www.yourdomainname.com/ You may have try with and without the trailing
>> slash.
>>
>> --
>> Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
>> WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
>> http://www.ycoln-resources.com
>> FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
>> To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
>> http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
>>
>> "Joe Voyles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Thanks, but I have never been able to use FrontPage in that way i.e. "Open
>> > Web" -- probably because i sometimes edit pages in html via FTP(whenever it's
>> > faster) and I orignally created many of my pages in html.
>> > Besides, i f i shouldn't be opening Front Page via the icon then why have
>> > the icon?It has worked for me in the past (since 2000) but not lately. I do
>> > not use the Front Page templates or navigation aids because my sites are
>> > hundreds of pages in size, some from the mid-90s, created via a mix of html
>> > and FrontPage.
>> > Joe Voyles

Andrew Murray

      24th Jan 2005
It's part of INternet Explorer, not Frontpage - other browsers don't have it
do they?
Firefox, Opera, Mozilla, Netscape
???