DNS problem with adding Machines

Michael Motta

      11th Nov 2003
I have just reloaded my 2000 server and I want to use the
DNS server that comes with it. I have previously used a
third party DNS server. When I try to add machines to
the domain I get the following error message. I changed
the domain name .

"The following error occurred when DNS was queried for
the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate
a domain controller for domain mydomain.COM:

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for
_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.mydomain.COM

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.

- One or more of the following zones do not include
delegation to its child zone:

mydomain.COM
COM
.. (the root zone)

This is setup as a domain controller and uses active
directory. I had this problem last time and that is why
I used another program. I would like this time to figure
out what dumb thing I am/not doing.

It is that my other machines cannot see the domain
controller.

Thx

Danny Sanders

      11th Nov 2003
> The query was for the SRV record for
> _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.mydomain.COM
>
> Common causes of this error include the following:
>
> - The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.

In order for this DC to register it's records in DNS it should be pointed to
itself in the properties of TCP/IP. Is it?

See:
How to Verify the Creation of SRV Records for a Domain Controller

Also see:
How to: Configure DNS for Internet Access In Windows 2000

Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory

hth

DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"Michael Motta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:067c01c3a88f$31709f80$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have just reloaded my 2000 server and I want to use the
> DNS server that comes with it. I have previously used a
> third party DNS server. When I try to add machines to
> the domain I get the following error message. I changed
> the domain name .
>
> "The following error occurred when DNS was queried for
> the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate
> a domain controller for domain mydomain.COM:
>
> The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
> (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)
>
> The query was for the SRV record for
> _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.mydomain.COM
>
> Common causes of this error include the following:
>
> - The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.
>
> - One or more of the following zones do not include
> delegation to its child zone:
>
> mydomain.COM
> COM
> . (the root zone)
>
> This is setup as a domain controller and uses active
> directory. I had this problem last time and that is why
> I used another program. I would like this time to figure
> out what dumb thing I am/not doing.
>
> It is that my other machines cannot see the domain
> controller.
>
> Thx

      11th Nov 2003
Well I got it working with your help. Thank you. Now it
appears that everything works as long as I dont log onto
the machine. If I log on and try do do anything the
server farts on itself. I cannot access the internet or
open any programs or anything. At that point the other
machines on the network cannot get any dns service
either. I am even unable to run active dir users and
computers. If the dns manager does open it will not do
anything. The screen flashes and then it just sits
there. Then the machine will not shut down. I had these
problems last time I tried to get the built in DNS
working and remember why I went to a third party program
now. This is very frustrating as I do not even know what
questions to ask to even try to get help. Guess a freash
install may be in order and see if it has something to do
with the order I load things. ARRGGHHHHHH!!!!!

us;241515
>Also see:
>How to: Configure DNS for Internet Access In Windows 2000

us;300202

> Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory

us;237675

>hth
>
>DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
>

>"Michael Motta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:067c01c3a88f$31709f80$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have just reloaded my 2000 server and I want to use

the
>> DNS server that comes with it. I have previously used

>> third party DNS server. When I try to add machines to
>> the domain I get the following error message. I

changed
>> the domain name .
>>
>> "The following error occurred when DNS was queried for
>> the service location (SRV) resource record used to

locate
>> a domain controller for domain mydomain.COM:
>>
>> The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
>> (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)
>>
>> The query was for the SRV record for
>> _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.mydomain.COM
>>
>> Common causes of this error include the following:
>>
>> - The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.
>>
>> - One or more of the following zones do not include
>> delegation to its child zone:
>>
>> mydomain.COM
>> COM
>> . (the root zone)
>>
>> This is setup as a domain controller and uses active
>> directory. I had this problem last time and that is

why
>> I used another program. I would like this time to

figure
>> out what dumb thing I am/not doing.
>>
>> It is that my other machines cannot see the domain
>> controller.
>>
>> Thx

>.

Kevin D. Goodknecht [MVP]

      11th Nov 2003
In news:067c01c3a88f$31709f80$(E-Mail Removed),
Michael Motta <(E-Mail Removed)> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> I have just reloaded my 2000 server and I want to use the
> DNS server that comes with it. I have previously used a
> third party DNS server. When I try to add machines to
> the domain I get the following error message. I changed
> the domain name .
>
> "The following error occurred when DNS was queried for
> the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate
> a domain controller for domain mydomain.COM:
>
> The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
> (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)
>
> The query was for the SRV record for
> _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.mydomain.COM
>
> Common causes of this error include the following:
>
> - The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.
>
> - One or more of the following zones do not include
> delegation to its child zone:
>
> mydomain.COM
> COM
> . (the root zone)
>
> This is setup as a domain controller and uses active
> directory. I had this problem last time and that is why
> I used another program. I would like this time to figure
> out what dumb thing I am/not doing.
>
> It is that my other machines cannot see the domain
> controller.
>
> Thx

Which is the correct domain name domain.mydomain.com or mydomain.com?

post an ipconfig /all with the answer

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Kevin D. Goodknecht [MVP]

      12th Nov 2003
In news:05dd01c3a8a3$c151e050$(E-Mail Removed),
(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)>
posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Well I got it working with your help. Thank you. Now it
> appears that everything works as long as I dont log onto
> the machine. If I log on and try do do anything the
> server farts on itself. I cannot access the internet or
> open any programs or anything. At that point the other
> machines on the network cannot get any dns service
> either. I am even unable to run active dir users and
> computers. If the dns manager does open it will not do
> anything. The screen flashes and then it just sits
> there. Then the machine will not shut down. I had these
> problems last time I tried to get the built in DNS
> working and remember why I went to a third party program
> now. This is very frustrating as I do not even know what
> questions to ask to even try to get help. Guess a freash
> install may be in order and see if it has something to do
> with the order I load things. ARRGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Can you use Computer managment from another machine?

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
============================
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my email.
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
OEBackup:

Michael Johnston [MSFT]

      12th Nov 2003
First, all the clients and servers should point at only the WIndows 2000 server for DNS. Do not point at the ISP. Since you just
rebuilt the server and renamed it, the clients will need to be disjoined from the old domain and added to the new domain. You
will need to make sure that a zone exists within the DNS forward lookup zones that matches the DNS name of your AD. This
zone will also need dynamic updates enabled.

Thank you,
Mike Johnston
Microsoft Network Support
--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from
which they originated.