dns address disappeared

Bob Smith

      15th Mar 2004

"Jaime D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:a54501c40a86$a671d570$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have more than 150 windows 2k prof. pc's managed by two
> windows 2000 servers. Everything works fine (Incredible!).
>
> Sometimes one o more desktop computers change DNS
> configuration in the network settings so the dns server
> address... disappears (blank address: " . . . ."). Amazing.
>
> Users don't have rights to modify this configuration.
>
> Any idea? Thanks in advance,
>
> Jaime D

what dns software do you use?
/G

Jaime D

      15th Mar 2004
Hi,

I have more than 150 windows 2k prof. pc's managed by two
windows 2000 servers. Everything works fine (Incredible!).

Sometimes one o more desktop computers change DNS
configuration in the network settings so the dns server
address... disappears (blank address: " . . . ."). Amazing.

Users don't have rights to modify this configuration.

Any idea? Thanks in advance,

Jaime D

Jaime D

      15th Mar 2004
>what dns software do you use?

dns server: windows 2000 server
dns client: windows 2000 prof.

Nothing special,

Jaime D

Kevin D. Goodknecht [MVP]

      15th Mar 2004
In news:d82801c40a96$f3af2350$(E-Mail Removed),
Jaime D <(E-Mail Removed)> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
>> what dns software do you use?

> dns server: windows 2000 server
> dns client: windows 2000 prof.
>
> Nothing special,
>
> Jaime D

Are you using DHCP on the Win2k?
Option 006 enabled? With what addresses?

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Jaime

      15th Mar 2004

>Are you using DHCP on the Win2k?
>Option 006 enabled? With what addresses?

No, I don't: Each client has it Static IP: (192.168.1.x /
192.168.2.x)

Jaime

Kevin D. Goodknecht [MVP]

      15th Mar 2004
In news:d3a001c40a9a$cc41c440$(E-Mail Removed),
Jaime <(E-Mail Removed)> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
>> Are you using DHCP on the Win2k?
>> Option 006 enabled? With what addresses?

> No, I don't: Each client has it Static IP: (192.168.1.x /
> 192.168.2.x)
>
> Jaime

You must have a security issue, if DHCP is not in use and the addresses are
statically assigned.
My suggestion would be to set up DHCP. It must be some chore to have to
administer a static network if you have to go to each station to configure
them.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
============================
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my email.
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
OEBackup:

Ace Fekay [MVP]

      16th Mar 2004
In news:d3a001c40a9a$cc41c440$(E-Mail Removed),
Jaime <(E-Mail Removed)> posted their thoughts, then I
offered mine
>> Are you using DHCP on the Win2k?
>> Option 006 enabled? With what addresses?

> No, I don't: Each client has it Static IP: (192.168.1.x /
> 192.168.2.x)
>
> Jaime

So you're saying that each client is statically configured an IP, Subnet
mask, Gateway, and a DNS address and for some strange reason *just* the DNS
address, but nothing else, just disappears out of the config? Hmm...

Is there any other software or client, such as Novell, or anything else, on
these machines that may affect network configuration somehow?

Is the DHCP client service or NetBIOS helper service disabled on these
machines by chance?

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.

=================================

Jaime D

      16th Mar 2004
>Is there any other software or client, such as Novell, or
anything else, on
>these machines that may affect network configuration

somehow?

No Novell, nothing special.

>Is the DHCP client service or NetBIOS helper service

disabled on these
>machines by chance?

Now is everything working. The next time it occurs I'l be
watching this services. Many thanks for this information,

Jaime D.

Ace Fekay [MVP]

      16th Mar 2004
In news:dc5701c40b39$3ecab550$(E-Mail Removed),
Jaime D <(E-Mail Removed)> posted their thoughts, then I
offered mine
>> Is there any other software or client, such as Novell, or anything
>> else, on these machines that may affect network configuration
>> somehow?

> No Novell, nothing special.
>
>> Is the DHCP client service or NetBIOS helper service disabled on
>> these machines by chance?

> Now is everything working. The next time it occurs I'l be
> watching this services. Many thanks for this information,
>
> Jaime D.

Ok, keep an eye on that stuff. I would also make sure your AV is upto date
and you have some sort of anti-adware and/or trpjan finder too. Check the
Event viewer also.

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.

Guillermo Garate

      17th Mar 2004
Jaime, me suenas a español, adsl, y router por las direcciones que das, mira
si el router esta dando dhcp a los equipos, que pueden ir por ahi los tiros

Guillermo Garate
MCP,MCSA,MCSE,CCNA,CCA