DNS - AD domain problem

striffy@gmail.com

      14th Nov 2005
Hi,
I'm learning AD and have a minor problem

My Set-up. Have GSX server hosting one Domain Controller, and another
server with WSUS.
I have a DSL connection using a Lynksys Wireless 4 port modem / router.
The WSUS server has no problem getting DNS / Group policies etc.
I have my notebook connected wireless, but comes up with
domain_not_set.invalid doing an ipconfig /all which my WSUS server has
the domain name.. Also the notebook is not getting any group policy
applied which I expect if having DNS problems.

The DC has DNS forwards to that of my Internet providers DNS.
I've also tried removing the DNS setting on the modem / router so the
notebook just has the DNS of the DC (in doing so I can no longer browse
the web on the notebook, even with the DNS forwarders)
..

Still same problem.
I've checked some knowledge base articles but still stuck.

Frankster

      14th Nov 2005
Try this...

In TCP/IP Properties of the NIC, all DNS client PCs (including your servers)
point *only* to the internal DNS you are running yourself (not your ISPs
DNS). Configure the internal DNS server to point to itself.

Configure your internal DNS server with a forwarder to your
*router's* internal IP.

The TCP/IP Properties of your router should have your ISP-provided external
DNS
server IPs.

-Frank

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I'm learning AD and have a minor problem
>
> My Set-up. Have GSX server hosting one Domain Controller, and another
> server with WSUS.
> I have a DSL connection using a Lynksys Wireless 4 port modem / router.
> The WSUS server has no problem getting DNS / Group policies etc.
> I have my notebook connected wireless, but comes up with
> domain_not_set.invalid doing an ipconfig /all which my WSUS server has
> the domain name.. Also the notebook is not getting any group policy
> applied which I expect if having DNS problems.
>
> The DC has DNS forwards to that of my Internet providers DNS.
> I've also tried removing the DNS setting on the modem / router so the
> notebook just has the DNS of the DC (in doing so I can no longer browse
> the web on the notebook, even with the DNS forwarders)
> .
>
> Still same problem.
> I've checked some knowledge base articles but still stuck.

striffy@gmail.com

      14th Nov 2005

Hi Frank,
thanks.
That's pretty close to what I had.

ipconfig /all - this is from my notebook, I'm connected by ethernet
just in case my wireless was doing something strange but getting the
same problem, also looks like my forwader is not working as I cannot
browse the internet.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : STRIFF-HOME-NB
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : SNK.CORP
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : SNK.CORP
domain_not_set.invalid

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain_not_set.invalid
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 P Mobile
Combo
ter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-D0-59-80-1C-04
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, 15 November 2005
6:08:

Frankster

      15th Nov 2005
> Hi Frank,
> thanks.
> That's pretty close to what I had.

"The DC has DNS forwards to that of my Internet providers DNS."

You say pretty close. Did you change the forwarders to forward to your
router?

> DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : SNK.CORP
> domain_not_set.invalid

I'm sorry, but I don't know what would cause this domain_not_set.invalid
stuff. Maybe someone else here can help. I'm not sure if that has anything
to do with not being about to browse the Internet. Have you set the domain
name in the My Computer | Properties | Computer Name?

-Frank

Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

      15th Nov 2005
Frankster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi Frank,
>> thanks.
>> That's pretty close to what I had.

> "The DC has DNS forwards to that of my Internet providers DNS."
>
> You say pretty close. Did you change the forwarders to forward to your
> router?
>
>> DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : SNK.CORP
>> domain_not_set.invalid

> I'm sorry, but I don't know what would cause this
> domain_not_set.invalid stuff. Maybe someone else here can help. I'm
> not sure if that has anything to do with not being about to browse
> the Internet. Have you set the domain name in the My Computer |
> Properties | Computer Name?
>
> -Frank

Some Routers and DSL modems assign this suffix. Usually, if they do, then
its DHCP can be modified and the suffix can be removed.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

striffy@gmail.com

      15th Nov 2005
Frank - Sorry had the Forwads already set, but on the notebook I had as
a secondary DNS of of the ISP providers as without it I cannot browse
the internet, even though forwards are set.

Kevin - I've checked my router settings and only thing that seems it
may be related is under Optional Settings (required by some ISPs) it
has Host name and Domain name, but these are blank...

So I'm not sure what is happening, will try updating firmware and
check event logs on the DC.
Thanks
Scott

Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

      15th Nov 2005
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Frank - Sorry had the Forwads already set, but on the notebook I had
> as a secondary DNS of of the ISP providers as without it I cannot
> browse the internet, even though forwards are set.
>
> Kevin - I've checked my router settings and only thing that seems it
> may be related is under Optional Settings (required by some ISPs) it
> has Host name and Domain name, but these are blank...
>
> So I'm not sure what is happening, will try updating firmware and
> check event logs on the DC.

My suggestion is to disable DHCP on the router and enable it on your server.
It has much better support of Active Directory and can register legacy
clients that do not support DDNS.
When you enable DHCP on the server it will start a wizard that will set you
needed options. Then you'll need to Authorize it in Active Directory.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
http://support.wftx.us/
https://secure.lsaol.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

Frankster

      15th Nov 2005
> My suggestion is to disable DHCP on the router and enable
> it on your server.

Yeah, that's how I run mine.

-Frank

striffy@gmail.com

      16th Nov 2005

Frankster wrote:
> > My suggestion is to disable DHCP on the router and enable
> > it on your server.

> Yeah, that's how I run mine.
>
> -Frank

Thanks to All.
I gues this suggestion is the preffered, I did however enter in the
router my domain name and the the domain_not_set.invalid has gone away,
so you were right it was from the router and looks like my group policu
is at least not erroring.
I haven't fully tested this as was sick..

the main reasin I don't have DHCP in the server is because it on GSX
and more of a test environment I don't alway have it up. But if all
else fails I will.

Cheers