DIY Bluetooth

Veritech

      9th Mar 2005
I wanted to buy a USB bluetooth adapter, and hook it up inside my computer
case(via the internal usb ports, using a pci bracket header), on the
opposite side of the motherboard tray. I was just wondering if this may
cause any interference with any of the other components in my system.

Thanks

--
"Blu-Ray"
2600+Sempron (O/C @1.924Ghz)

kony

      9th Mar 2005
On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 23:18:20 GMT, "Veritech"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I wanted to buy a USB bluetooth adapter, and hook it up inside my computer
>case(via the internal usb ports, using a pci bracket header), on the
>opposite side of the motherboard tray. I was just wondering if this may
>cause any interference with any of the other components in my system.
>
>Thanks

No but there's a good chance it'll interfere with the
performance of the bluetooth, which should be as far away
from metal as realistically possible.

Jerry G.

      9th Mar 2005
The Bluetooth would perform better when outside of the PC case. A metal
computer case will attenuate its output a little, thus decreasing its range.

I found that the Bluetooth can make some interference on celliar, and 2.4
GHz phones, when in close proximity to it. I have not seen it do any other
types of interference.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Veritech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0pqXd.97$(E-Mail Removed)...
I wanted to buy a USB bluetooth adapter, and hook it up inside my computer
case(via the internal usb ports, using a pci bracket header), on the
opposite side of the motherboard tray. I was just wondering if this may
cause any interference with any of the other components in my system.

Thanks

--
"Blu-Ray"
2600+Sempron (O/C @1.924Ghz)
512Mb DDR 400
9600 pro 128 (O/C @ 425/540)
Gigabyte 7VT600P-RZ mobo with 400mhz fsb
Raidmax cobra case with 420w psu
Dual 12" Blue CCFL
Blue LED fans
"Cheap and very cheerful"

Peter Wilkins

      10th Mar 2005
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>I wanted to buy a USB bluetooth adapter, and hook it up inside my computer
>case(via the internal usb ports, using a pci bracket header), on the
>opposite side of the motherboard tray. I was just wondering if this may
>cause any interference with any of the other components in my system.

I don't think that's a very good idea: with a desktop there is no real
disadvantage to having the adapter external, and considerable benefits
in antenna performance. Enclosed inside a steel case, the signal may
not even reach your bluetooth mouse!

I do use an internal bluetooth adapter in my laptop, but it is
purpose-built and uses antennas built into the screen housing.

--
Regards,
Peter Wilkins

Veritech

      10th Mar 2005
Thanks for all the replys

I think i'm gonna give it try, i got a couple of places that i want to try
out
including behind the empty drive bays with should eliminate the
interference from the steel case.

I move my case around alot and it would be nice if that(adapter) was one
less thing to worry about, thought about pcmcia bluetooth card but at 70
without the pci adapter i don't like that idea.

Thanks again
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>I wanted to buy a USB bluetooth adapter, and hook it up inside my computer
>case(via the internal usb ports, using a pci bracket header), on the
>opposite side of the motherboard tray. I was just wondering if this may
>cause any interference with any of the other components in my system.

I don't think that's a very good idea: with a desktop there is no real
disadvantage to having the adapter external, and considerable benefits
in antenna performance. Enclosed inside a steel case, the signal may
not even reach your bluetooth mouse!

I do use an internal bluetooth adapter in my laptop, but it is
purpose-built and uses antennas built into the screen housing.

--
Regards,
Peter Wilkins

Peter Wilkins

      11th Mar 2005
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:09:06 GMT, "Veritech"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>Thanks for all the replys
>
>I think i'm gonna give it try, i got a couple of places that i want to try
>out including behind the empty drive bays with should eliminate the
>interference from the steel case.

It wasn't interference I was concerned about - it was the ability of
the radio signal to get out of the steel box. Behind an empty drive
slot could be a good spot, if there is the usual plastic cover over
the hole, it will let the signal get out.

>I move my case around alot and it would be nice if that(adapter) was one
>less thing to worry about, thought about pcmcia bluetooth card but at 70
>without the pci adapter i don't like that idea.

Yeah, but the adapters are pretty small, and just plug into a USB
port, no real problem at all. I've got a spare one that came with my
MS bluetooth mouse that I didn't need coz I had bluetooth built-in,
and it's only a couple of cm long and a bit wider than the USB socket,
and needs no external PSU.

Anyway, best of luck - it's always fun to try something new.
--
Regards,
Peter Wilkins

kony

      11th Mar 2005
On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:06:03 +1100, Peter Wilkins
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:09:06 GMT, "Veritech"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>
>>Thanks for all the replys
>>
>>I think i'm gonna give it try, i got a couple of places that i want to try
>>out including behind the empty drive bays with should eliminate the
>>interference from the steel case.

>It wasn't interference I was concerned about - it was the ability of
>the radio signal to get out of the steel box. Behind an empty drive
>slot could be a good spot, if there is the usual plastic cover over
>the hole, it will let the signal get out.

It's not merely a matter of letting the signal get out, but
of signal strength. Signal strength might be sub-optimal
even if the device were locationed in best possible place,
but recessing it inside a metal housing is asking for
trouble.

>>I move my case around alot and it would be nice if that(adapter) was one
>>less thing to worry about, thought about pcmcia bluetooth card but at 70
>>without the pci adapter i don't like that idea.

>Yeah, but the adapters are pretty small, and just plug into a USB
>port, no real problem at all. I've got a spare one that came with my
>MS bluetooth mouse that I didn't need coz I had bluetooth built-in,
>and it's only a couple of cm long and a bit wider than the USB socket,
>and needs no external PSU.

They often work best when connected to a USB extension cord.