division symbol

linda

      17th Jul 2003
Does any one know how to type in word the traditional
division symbol? I'm trying to type a math test for lower
level elementary school students.

Jerry Bodoff

      17th Jul 2003
Hi Klaus:

If I understood Linda correctly I think what she wants
for school tests is:

1
-
3

Jerry B.

in "Insert > Symbol").

>You can get the fraction slash or the division slash

(which look like a
>more tilted "/") in Word2002 by typing 2044 or 2215,

followed by Alt+X. It
>should work with "Arial" et al, but older, smaller fonts

won't have the two
>slashes.
>
>Regards,
>Klaus
>

>.

Klaus Linke

      17th Jul 2003
Hi Jerry,

Maybe... but my crystal ball looks cloudy.
So I mentioned the possibilities -- just in case.

Klaus

"Jerry Bodoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
Hi Klaus:

If I understood Linda correctly I think what she wants
for school tests is:

1
-
3

Jerry B.

Jerry Bodoff

      17th Jul 2003
Hi Klaus:

I assumed that is what Linda wants because she
stated "traditional" and for low level elementary school,
fractions are probably represented in the text books
as 'N over D'.

Jerry B.

Bert

      17th Jul 2003
Linda,

Here is another way to get the division symbol (and many
others). Run the Character Map utility in windows.
Depending on your version it could be located in several
menu locations. In W2000 it's under Start - Programs -
Accessories - System tools. Or at the run command just
type charmap.

Once there, select the font called symbols. The rest is
just copy paste. Be sure to format the font in Symbol in
word or it won't display correctly.

Good Luck,
Bert

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      17th Jul 2003
FWIW, I interpreted this the same as Klaus, that Linda wanted x y.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Jerry Bodoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:024901c34c96$7fa63430$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Klaus:
>
> I assumed that is what Linda wants because she
> stated "traditional" and for low level elementary school,
> fractions are probably represented in the text books
> as 'N over D'.
>
> Jerry B.

Mary

      18th Jul 2003
To me the simplest way to insert a division sign is to go
to Insert, Symbol, and you will find in one of the many
font selections a division symbol.