"Display online status in the To and..." check box is grayed out

alex_mayorga

      23rd Apr 2009
For some reason the option described here
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...5511033.aspx#3 "Display
online status in the To and Cc fields only when mouse pointer rests on a
person name" check box grayed out and I can't modify it.
As is now is always selected no matter my selection on the "Display online
status next to a person name" check box. I'd like to have that option
unchecked if possible.
I'm using:
Windows Vista Enterprise
Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 (12.0.6311.5000) SP1 MSO (12.0.6311.5000)
Microsoft Office Communicator 2005 Version 1.0.559

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Roady [MVP]

      23rd Apr 2009
If the option is grayed out then it doesn't make any difference if it is
selected or not; the setting is being ignored anyway.
The option is either grayed out because the "Display online status..." is
disabled or because it has been configured (forced) by other means.
Does the function itself work?

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

http://www.msoutlook.info/

-----

"alex_mayorga" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> For some reason the option described here
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...5511033.aspx#3 "Display
> online status in the To and Cc fields only when mouse pointer rests on a
> person name" check box grayed out and I can't modify it.
> As is now is always selected no matter my selection on the "Display online
> status next to a person name" check box. I'd like to have that option
> unchecked if possible.
> I'm using:
> Windows Vista Enterprise
> Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 (12.0.6311.5000) SP1 MSO (12.0.6311.5000)
> Microsoft Office Communicator 2005 Version 1.0.559
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

      27th Apr 2009
Does your organization use a GPO to disable this option? Check with your IT
folks.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

ALWAYS post your Outlook version.

After furious head scratching, alex_mayorga asked:

| For some reason the option described here
| http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...5511033.aspx#3
| "Display online status in the To and Cc fields only when mouse
| pointer rests on a person name" check box grayed out and I can't
| modify it.
| As is now is always selected no matter my selection on the "Display
| online status next to a person name" check box. I'd like to have that
| option unchecked if possible.
| I'm using:
| Windows Vista Enterprise
| Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 (12.0.6311.5000) SP1 MSO
| (12.0.6311.5000) Microsoft Office Communicator 2005 Version 1.0.559
|
| Any help would be appreciated.
|
| Thanks in advance

SeNsE

      29th Apr 2009
I'm having the same issue here. Same setup:

Windows Vista SP1
Outlook 2007 SP2 (12.0.6423.1000)
Office Communicator 2005 Version 1.0.559.226

My colleague's do not have this issue (same setup) and our computers
are in the same OU so the same GPO must by applied. I've previously
had this issue on a Windows XP with Office 2003 as well.
I never found a solution for it. I just installed SP2 for Office 2007
today and remembered this issue, that's why I checked the setting
again but no luck...

Best regards,
Bart

On Apr 27, 3:15*am, "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" <what@ever> wrote:
> Does your organization use a GPO to disable this option? *Check with your IT
> folks.
>
> --
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.
> ALWAYS post your Outlook version.
> How to ask a question:http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>
> After furious head scratching, alex_mayorga asked:
>
> | For some reason the option described here
> |http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...5511033.aspx#3
> | "Display online status in the To and Cc fields only when mouse
> | pointer rests on a person name" check box grayed out and I can't
> | modify it.
> | As is now is always selected no matter my selection on the "Display
> | online status next to a person name" check box. I'd like to have that
> | option unchecked if possible.
> | I'm using:
> | Windows Vista Enterprise
> | Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 (12.0.6311.5000) SP1 MSO
> | (12.0.6311.5000) Microsoft Office Communicator 2005 Version 1.0.559
> |
> | Any help would be appreciated.
> |
> | Thanks in advance

Pukke

      12th May 2009
Found a way to enable / disable both check boxes.

Outlook 2007 with mailboxes on Exchange 2003 SP2 servers.

Whenever the Outlook client is configured to work online with the Exchange
server the second option ( Display online status in the To and Cc fields only
when the ,ouse pointer rests on a person name) is greyed out.

For Outlook clients configured to use "CACHED MODE" the option becomes
available.

I don't have any furter explanation as to why there is a difference for
these options between cached mode or just straight online mode but at least
you now know how you can get arround this issue.

Cheers,
Dirk