PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

DISKPART does not show USB disk

 
 
black_13
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      24th Jan 2008
I have been trying to format an 8 GB usb stick with diskpart.
but so far i have not had success.
when i run the following
diskpart>
diskpart>list disk
the only disks list are the hard drives I have running on my computer
however when i list the volumes present this is what I get:
DISKPART> list volume

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status
Info
---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- ---------
--------
Volume 0 D VX2PVOL_EN CDFS DVD-ROM 587 MB
Volume 1 E DVD-ROM 0 B
Volume 2 H DVD-ROM 0 B
Volume 3 G DVD-ROM 0 B
Volume 4 C NTFS Partition 149 GB Healthy
System
Volume 5 F HW_ENG NTFS Partition 373 GB Healthy
Volume 6 Z NEW VOLUME FAT32 Removeable 7872 MB

what am i doing wrong or is the usb stick damaged.
thanks
black_13
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
JS
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      24th Jan 2008
Removable disks are not displayed.
See: A Description of the Diskpart Command-Line Utility:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415

Have you tried XP's Disk Management?

JS

"black_13" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have been trying to format an 8 GB usb stick with diskpart.
> but so far i have not had success.
> when i run the following
> diskpart>
> diskpart>list disk
> the only disks list are the hard drives I have running on my computer
> however when i list the volumes present this is what I get:
> DISKPART> list volume
>
> Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status
> Info
> ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- ---------
> --------
> Volume 0 D VX2PVOL_EN CDFS DVD-ROM 587 MB
> Volume 1 E DVD-ROM 0 B
> Volume 2 H DVD-ROM 0 B
> Volume 3 G DVD-ROM 0 B
> Volume 4 C NTFS Partition 149 GB Healthy
> System
> Volume 5 F HW_ENG NTFS Partition 373 GB Healthy
> Volume 6 Z NEW VOLUME FAT32 Removeable 7872 MB
>
> what am i doing wrong or is the usb stick damaged.
> thanks
> black_13



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John John
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      24th Jan 2008
You won't be able to do that with the XP version of Diskpart, it doesn't
see flash drives as disks. You can do it with Vista Diskpart.

John

black_13 wrote:

> I have been trying to format an 8 GB usb stick with diskpart.
> but so far i have not had success.
> when i run the following
> diskpart>
> diskpart>list disk
> the only disks list are the hard drives I have running on my computer
> however when i list the volumes present this is what I get:
> DISKPART> list volume
>
> Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status
> Info
> ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- ---------
> --------
> Volume 0 D VX2PVOL_EN CDFS DVD-ROM 587 MB
> Volume 1 E DVD-ROM 0 B
> Volume 2 H DVD-ROM 0 B
> Volume 3 G DVD-ROM 0 B
> Volume 4 C NTFS Partition 149 GB Healthy
> System
> Volume 5 F HW_ENG NTFS Partition 373 GB Healthy
> Volume 6 Z NEW VOLUME FAT32 Removeable 7872 MB
>
> what am i doing wrong or is the usb stick damaged.
> thanks
> black_13

 
Reply With Quote
 
Andy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      25th Jan 2008
Isn't Volume 6 the USB disk?

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 13:54:22 -0800 (PST), black_13
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have been trying to format an 8 GB usb stick with diskpart.
>but so far i have not had success.
>when i run the following
>diskpart>
>diskpart>list disk
>the only disks list are the hard drives I have running on my computer
>however when i list the volumes present this is what I get:
>DISKPART> list volume
>
> Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status
>Info
> ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- ---------
>--------
> Volume 0 D VX2PVOL_EN CDFS DVD-ROM 587 MB
> Volume 1 E DVD-ROM 0 B
> Volume 2 H DVD-ROM 0 B
> Volume 3 G DVD-ROM 0 B
> Volume 4 C NTFS Partition 149 GB Healthy
>System
> Volume 5 F HW_ENG NTFS Partition 373 GB Healthy
> Volume 6 Z NEW VOLUME FAT32 Removeable 7872 MB
>
>what am i doing wrong or is the usb stick damaged.
>thanks
>black_13

 
Reply With Quote
 
Uwe Sieber
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      25th Jan 2008

Windows 2000 and higher doesn't support partitioning
'removable' drives. Even multiple partition exist
on a 'removable' drive, Windows will see first one only.

You need one of the very rare USB flash drives which
have not set the 'removable media bit' (RMB) in their
device descriptor. Windows then handles them as 'Local
drive' as known from USB harddrives.
I'm searching for such a piece since years for testing
but so far I haven't found one.


Uwe



black_13 wrote:
> I have been trying to format an 8 GB usb stick with diskpart.
> but so far i have not had success.
> when i run the following
> diskpart>
> diskpart>list disk
> the only disks list are the hard drives I have running on my computer
> however when i list the volumes present this is what I get:
> DISKPART> list volume
>
> Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status
> Info
> ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- ---------
> --------
> Volume 0 D VX2PVOL_EN CDFS DVD-ROM 587 MB
> Volume 1 E DVD-ROM 0 B
> Volume 2 H DVD-ROM 0 B
> Volume 3 G DVD-ROM 0 B
> Volume 4 C NTFS Partition 149 GB Healthy
> System
> Volume 5 F HW_ENG NTFS Partition 373 GB Healthy
> Volume 6 Z NEW VOLUME FAT32 Removeable 7872 MB
>
> what am i doing wrong or is the usb stick damaged.
> thanks
> black_13

 
Reply With Quote
 
John H Meyers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      25th Jan 2008
On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 02:05:12 -0600, Uwe Sieber wrote:

> Windows 2000 and higher doesn't support partitioning
> 'removable' drives. Even if multiple partitions exist
> on a 'removable' drive, Windows will see first one only.


> You need one of the very rare USB flash drives
> which have not set the 'removable media bit' (RMB)
> in their device descriptor. Windows then handles them
> as 'Local drive' as known from USB harddrives.
> I'm searching for such a piece since years for testing
> but so far I haven't found one.


All my Lexar "Jump Drive Secure" (older "fat" style)
do exactly that; example of this (now obsolete) style:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000290ZFY
http://reviews.cnet.com/4505-3240_7-30477654.html

There is now a new style; I don't know whether they act the same:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BMRO10
http://reviews.cnet.com/4505-3240_7-32467611.html

--
 
Reply With Quote
 
Uwe Sieber
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      25th Jan 2008
John H Meyers wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 02:05:12 -0600, Uwe Sieber wrote:
>
>> Windows 2000 and higher doesn't support partitioning
>> 'removable' drives. Even if multiple partitions exist
>> on a 'removable' drive, Windows will see first one only.

>
>> You need one of the very rare USB flash drives
>> which have not set the 'removable media bit' (RMB)
>> in their device descriptor. Windows then handles them
>> as 'Local drive' as known from USB harddrives.
>> I'm searching for such a piece since years for testing
>> but so far I haven't found one.

>
> All my Lexar "Jump Drive Secure" (older "fat" style)
> do exactly that; example of this (now obsolete) style:
> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000290ZFY
> http://reviews.cnet.com/4505-3240_7-30477654.html
>
> There is now a new style; I don't know whether they act the same:
> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BMRO10
> http://reviews.cnet.com/4505-3240_7-32467611.html



Thanks for the information! I have a drive that
look exactely as the one form link 1 but it's
'removable'. It's USB1 only event it definitely
should be USB2, probably a China fake from the
early days of USB2...
I'll try to find such a drive at eBay. I remember
in a posting in the Lexar forum where users complained
about XP creating the 'System Volume Information'
folder on Lexar drives. Lexar's solution was to
set the RMB bit in future drives...

With product name and picture I hope I'll find one :-)


Thanks and Greetings from Germany

Uwe
 
Reply With Quote
 
John H Meyers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      25th Jan 2008
On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 13:44:00 -0600, Uwe Sieber wrote:

> I have a [Lexar Jump] drive that look exactely as the one from link 1
> but it's 'removable'. It's USB1 only event it definitely should be USB2,
> probably a China fake from the early days of USB2...


My first-purchased (model JDS-128-40-520B) is I think USB 1.1
(as is the "520C" series as well, I believe);
a later model, where printing "Lexar Jump Drive" was turned sideways,
(JDS256-40-520J) is I think USB 2.0

> I'll try to find such a drive at eBay. I remember
> in a posting in the Lexar forum where users complained
> about XP creating the 'System Volume Information'
> folder on Lexar drives. Lexar's solution was to
> set the RMB bit in future drives...


Does that also influence creation of "Recycler"?

While using Win2000, I also had lots of trouble
with drives refusing to be "removed safely,"
even after waiting an extremely long time,
then pulling them, only to get a flurry of
"delayed write failed" messages -- is that
also a potential consequence of the same status,
rather than "removable"? (write cache disabled
by default on XP?)

The only thing I always wanted (but never got)
on USB flash sticks is a "write protect" switch;
now I don't buy USB sticks any more, but instead
buy small SD readers that recognize the "read protect"
slider on an SD card, which finally adds that feature
(besides making it possible to carry a pocketful
of "drives" that each is just a tiny card,
and only enough adapters to handle the maximum number
that I ever want to use at the same time).

Your "ListUSBdrives" program helped me diagnose
that those adapters may have identical serial numbers,
which originally caused a problem on Win2000,
for which you also provided the solution, thanks.

--
 
Reply With Quote
 
Uwe Sieber
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      28th Jan 2008


John H Meyers wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 13:44:00 -0600, Uwe Sieber wrote:
>
>> I have a [Lexar Jump] drive that look exactely as the one from link 1
>> but it's 'removable'. It's USB1 only event it definitely should be USB2,
>> probably a China fake from the early days of USB2...

>
> My first-purchased (model JDS-128-40-520B) is I think USB 1.1
> (as is the "520C" series as well, I believe);
> a later model, where printing "Lexar Jump Drive" was turned sideways,
> (JDS256-40-520J) is I think USB 2.0
>
>> I'll try to find such a drive at eBay. I remember
>> in a posting in the Lexar forum where users complained
>> about XP creating the 'System Volume Information'
>> folder on Lexar drives. Lexar's solution was to
>> set the RMB bit in future drives...

>
> Does that also influence creation of "Recycler"?


Yes, on 'Removable' drives (mouted to a drive letter)
XP does not enable the Recycler function. Files are
deleted immediately.

> While using Win2000, I also had lots of trouble
> with drives refusing to be "removed safely,"
> even after waiting an extremely long time,
> then pulling them, only to get a flurry of
> "delayed write failed" messages -- is that
> also a potential consequence of the same status,
> rather than "removable"? (write cache disabled
> by default on XP?)


Under 2000 'Removeable' drives had a write cache enabled
while since XP there is (nearly) no write cache.
Under Win2000 problems with the 'save removal' are quite
unusual, maybe caused by 3rd party software as anti
virus or anti anything software.

> The only thing I always wanted (but never got)
> on USB flash sticks is a "write protect" switch;


Under XP there is a registry switch for that but it's
a global setting from all (removable?) USB drives.


Greetings from Germany

Uwe

 
Reply With Quote
 
Plato
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      30th Jan 2008
black_13 wrote:
>
> I have been trying to format an 8 GB usb stick with diskpart.
> but so far i have not had success.


Isn't diskpart for hard drives only?






--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EXplorer does not see USB disk (usb stick) but DOS window does ~~~ .NET Ed ~~~ Windows XP Help 4 31st Mar 2007 11:15 AM
Diskpart Basic Disk extended volume on RAID 5 =?Utf-8?B?UmljayBHdW1tZXJzb24=?= Microsoft Windows 2000 File System 4 1st Jun 2004 06:44 AM
Diskpart - extend basic disk partition, not showing in explorer, shows in diskpart Jeff Microsoft Windows 2000 0 18th Mar 2004 04:50 PM
Diskpart can't clean or partition disk 0 when boot from Ramdisk Mark K Vallevand Windows XP Embedded 5 10th Feb 2004 03:31 PM
Diskpart 50% of disk size Frank Windows XP Setup 1 10th Nov 2003 02:03 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:27 AM.