"The disk is full" error when saving Excel docs.

Rob Miles

      15th Oct 2003
This just started happening recently, seemingly out of the
blue; one of my users is trying to save Excel documents
that she creates to a network drive. Sometimes it saves
just fine, but mostly (as of the last week or so) she just
gets an error message saying "The disk is full" and when
she clicks okay she gets another that says "The document
was not saved."

I've checked the Knowledge Base, and there is actually a
number of articles (6 or 7) that discuss this problem.
According to the articles, either the disk is full, or the
connection to the network drive was lost and has to be
reestablished. The share has over 100G free space and my
testing (I'm getting the exact same error when I try to
save to that share) shows that the drive connection is not
getting lost during that time.

Well, I thought the problem was limited to Excel, but it
turns out I can't save to the drive through Word either.
I can move or copy the file to that network drive, but I
can't save to it directly. I can save to other network
shares through Word or Excel also.

Any ideas on what could be going on here? This is a new
server (Windows 2000) that is replacing an old server
(Windows NT) for the file sharing, but I've gone through
and made sure that all the permissions on the folders
match what they were before. Did I overlook something?

Rob Miles
--
There are only 10 types of people in the world; those who
understand binary and those who don't.

BrianB

      16th Oct 2003
I have seen that this is a problem with some servers. The suggestion
was to disable server File Cacheing - which can evidently give rise to
other problems ...............

Regards
BrianB

"Rob Miles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<03e101c3934d$2f730da0$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> This just started happening recently, seemingly out of the
> blue; one of my users is trying to save Excel documents
> that she creates to a network drive. Sometimes it saves
> just fine, but mostly (as of the last week or so) she just
> gets an error message saying "The disk is full" and when
> she clicks okay she gets another that says "The document
> was not saved."
>
> I've checked the Knowledge Base, and there is actually a
> number of articles (6 or 7) that discuss this problem.
> According to the articles, either the disk is full, or the
> connection to the network drive was lost and has to be
> reestablished. The share has over 100G free space and my
> testing (I'm getting the exact same error when I try to
> save to that share) shows that the drive connection is not
> getting lost during that time.
>
> Well, I thought the problem was limited to Excel, but it
> turns out I can't save to the drive through Word either.
> I can move or copy the file to that network drive, but I
> can't save to it directly. I can save to other network
> shares through Word or Excel also.
>
> Any ideas on what could be going on here? This is a new
> server (Windows 2000) that is replacing an old server
> (Windows NT) for the file sharing, but I've gone through
> and made sure that all the permissions on the folders
> match what they were before. Did I overlook something?
>
> Rob Miles

bjyuke

      2nd Feb 2004
Rob,

I have the same problem with Excel 2000 and Windows Server 2003. Did
you ever find a solution for this?

Thanks...

---