Disk Defragmenter won't complete

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obm55IER1bm4=?=

      27th Feb 2004
Get message "Some files on this volume could not be defragmented. Please check the defragmentation report for the list of these files." The defragmentation process only completes about 15% at this point then stops here

The file that couldn't be defragmented doesn't exist.

Also unfortunately, it says the file is in my Temporary Internet Files folder that can't be modified

Any suggestions?

DCC

      27th Feb 2004
You should empty your Temp int files + cookies before you defrag. Try it.

Bee

      27th Feb 2004
Temporary Internet Files, being for temporary use only -- and really should
be called files used in the past but are still being kept anyway -- can
certainly be deleted straight away, folders and all.

For defragmentation to work, at least 15% of the total capacity of the
drive/partition you want to defrag needs to be unoccupied, free space as
'elbow room'. This figure is in the top panel of the Defragmentation
window. To free up some extra space, delete or move more files, if
necessary. If the space is tight, doing a Disk Cleanup won't be amiss here.
Also, if the drive/partition in question has errors, the defragmenter will
halt. So, use the Check Disk utility to be sure this is not the case.

Files in the Recycle Bin are not touched by the defragmenter, so if the bin
contains a large number of files, the end picture would appear to suggest an
incomplete processing. Empty the bin before defrag.

Hope this helps.

Bee.
--
[I have found my Shangri-La in ntlworld.]

--
news:(E-Mail Removed)...