Disk Defragmenter / Contiguous Files

Frank

      23rd Oct 2009
How do manually Delete my contiguous files after i Defrag my computer,
becuase at this moment in time i dont have the money to take my computer in
to a ITech person to have it done.

Leonard Grey

      23rd Oct 2009
The goal of defragmentation is to create contiguous files.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Frank wrote:
> How do manually Delete my contiguous files after i Defrag my computer,
> becuase at this moment in time i dont have the money to take my computer in
> to a ITech person to have it done.

Elmo

      23rd Oct 2009
Frank wrote:
> How do I manually delete my contiguous files after I defrag my hard drive?
> At this moment in time I don't have the money to take my computer in
> to an ITech person to have it done.

Leave the system alone. A defrag makes the movable files contiguous.
If it misses one or two, there's no harm done, except for a hint of a
slowdown when those files are accessed. How often can that happen?

--
Joe =o)

Ken Blake, MVP

      23rd Oct 2009
On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 08:56:01 -0700, Frank
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> How do manually Delete my contiguous files after i Defrag my computer,
> becuase at this moment in time i dont have the money to take my computer in
> to a ITech person to have it done.

Sorry, I don't understand this question at all. Exactly what do you
want to accomplish? Why?

After defragging, all (or at least most) of your files are contiguous.
The reason you defragged was to make them contiguous.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Unknown

      23rd Oct 2009

What are you asking?
"Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do manually Delete my contiguous files after i Defrag my computer,
> becuase at this moment in time i dont have the money to take my computer
> in
> to a ITech person to have it done.

db

      23rd Oct 2009
having contiguous files is the goal
when you have a small hard drive.

if you had a large hard drive then
having fragmented files would be
on no great consequence,

though I prefer a contiguous file
system myself.

however, because of the mechanics
of the computer, contiguous files
always become fragments again.

-----------------------

to answer the question about deleting
files,

which every files you choose to delete,
move, copy, etc will be done whether
your files are fragmented or
contiguous.

-------------------------

to be contiguous is to be unfragmented.

--
db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do manually Delete my contiguous files after i Defrag my computer,
> becuase at this moment in time i dont have the money to take my computer
> in
> to a ITech person to have it done.

Ken Blake, MVP

      23rd Oct 2009
On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 15:38:09 -0500, "db" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> having contiguous files is the goal
> when you have a small hard drive.
>
> if you had a large hard drive then
> having fragmented files would be
> on no great consequence,

Not so. The larger the hard drive, the farther apart the fragments are
likely to be. And the farther apart they are, the slower access to
them will be.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

db

      24th Oct 2009

I agree in part.

--
db`...><)))>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
- Systems Analyst
- Database Developer
- Accountancy
- Veteran of the Armed Forces
- @Hotmail.com
- nntp Postologist
~ "share the nirvana" - dbZen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ken Blake, MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 15:38:09 -0500, "db" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> having contiguous files is the goal
>> when you have a small hard drive.
>>
>> if you had a large hard drive then
>> having fragmented files would be
>> on no great consequence,

> Not so. The larger the hard drive, the farther apart the fragments are
> likely to be. And the farther apart they are, the slower access to
> them will be.
>

> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Unknown

      24th Oct 2009
Not necessarily so.
The larger the drive the faster (usually) it spins. Also data transfer rates
are faster.