Disk 1 did not pass SMART self-assessment test

alo

      29th Mar 2011
Disk 1 did not pass SMART self-assessment test...

"Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day.
Disk 1:
Previous count: 1504
Current count: 2507"

This disk was in a Netgear readynas duo system.

Before I start the proccess of returning it as a faulty item I want to
make sure it is indeed faulty.

I have now taken it out of the nas box.... but besides putting it into
a PC how would I go about testing again.

Is it possible to test it in a USB HD enclosure?

Thanks

Rod Speed

      29th Mar 2011
alo wrote

> Disk 1 did not pass SMART self-assessment test...

Fark, it actually failed it dismally.

> "Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day.
> Disk 1:
> Previous count: 1504
> Current count: 2507"

Fark. She's dead, Jim. You into necrophilia ?

> This disk was in a Netgear readynas duo system.

> Before I start the proccess of returning it as a
> faulty item I want to make sure it is indeed faulty.

Yep, thats an utterly obscene level of reallocated sectors.

> I have now taken it out of the nas box.... but besides
> putting it into a PC how would I go about testing again.

> Is it possible to test it in a USB HD enclosure?

Yep, but with quite a few of them, you cant get the SMART stats with the drive in
one of those unless its a relatively modern one and you use a paid for SMART ute.

mike

      30th Mar 2011
Rod Speed wrote:
> alo wrote
>
>> Disk 1 did not pass SMART self-assessment test...

> Fark, it actually failed it dismally.
>
>> "Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day.
>> Disk 1:
>> Previous count: 1504
>> Current count: 2507"

> Fark. She's dead, Jim. You into necrophilia ?
>
>> This disk was in a Netgear readynas duo system.

>> Before I start the proccess of returning it as a
>> faulty item I want to make sure it is indeed faulty.

> Yep, thats an utterly obscene level of reallocated sectors.
>
>> I have now taken it out of the nas box.... but besides
>> putting it into a PC how would I go about testing again.

>> Is it possible to test it in a USB HD enclosure?

> Yep, but with quite a few of them, you cant get the SMART stats with the drive in
> one of those unless its a relatively modern one and you use a paid for SMART ute.

Hddscan.exe is among the free SMART readers.
Bytecc BT-300 is among the cheap usb to ide/sata readers that can read
smart.

Rod Speed

      30th Mar 2011
mike wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> alo wrote

>>> Disk 1 did not pass SMART self-assessment test...

>> Fark, it actually failed it dismally.

>>> "Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day.
>>> Disk 1:
>>> Previous count: 1504
>>> Current count: 2507"

>> Fark. She's dead, Jim. You into necrophilia ?

>>> This disk was in a Netgear readynas duo system.

>>> Before I start the proccess of returning it as a
>>> faulty item I want to make sure it is indeed faulty.

>> Yep, thats an utterly obscene level of reallocated sectors.

>>> I have now taken it out of the nas box.... but besides
>>> putting it into a PC how would I go about testing again.

>>> Is it possible to test it in a USB HD enclosure?

>> Yep, but with quite a few of them, you cant get the SMART stats with the drive in one of those unless its a
>> relatively modern one and you use a paid for SMART ute.

> Hddscan.exe is among the free SMART readers.

Yes, but that doesnt mean it can get the SMART data from the drive in a USB HD enclosure he already has.

> Bytecc BT-300 is among the cheap usb to ide/sata readers that can read smart.

You dont know whether he plans to buy a USB HD enclosure just to check the drive before doing a warranty claim.

Arno

      30th Mar 2011
alo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Disk 1 did not pass SMART self-assessment test...

> "Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day.
> Disk 1:
> Previous count: 1504
> Current count: 2507"

This is alarming from around 10-30 upwards. This disk is
very near death. It somehow manages to hang on, but very
soon it will run out of replacement sectors.

> This disk was in a Netgear readynas duo system.

> Before I start the proccess of returning it as a faulty item I want to
> make sure it is indeed faulty.

Very, very, very faulty.

> I have now taken it out of the nas box.... but besides putting it into
> a PC how would I go about testing again.

> Is it possible to test it in a USB HD enclosure?

Yes. But entirely unnecessary.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: (E-Mail Removed)
----