Disappearing DNS

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBD?=

      29th May 2007
Hi, I have a problem where DHCP assigned DNS settings disappear from the XP
clients. The system has been working for years without problems and no
changes have been made to our DHCP or DNS servers. The DHCP lease time is 3
days.

I can do an ipconfig/renew and all the DNS settings are correct and then
generally about 60 seconds later they are gone - sometimes it can be several
minutes. All other settings are unaffacted. I have run process monitor to
check for changes to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\
and can see svchost (dhcpsvc.dll) opening the DHCPNameServer key and deleting
it.

Any ideas?

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

      29th May 2007
Posting the results of ipconfig /all before and after DNS changing here may help.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Paul C" <Paul (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news(E-Mail Removed)...
Hi, I have a problem where DHCP assigned DNS settings disappear from the XP
clients. The system has been working for years without problems and no
changes have been made to our DHCP or DNS servers. The DHCP lease time is 3
days.

I can do an ipconfig/renew and all the DNS settings are correct and then
generally about 60 seconds later they are gone - sometimes it can be several
minutes. All other settings are unaffacted. I have run process monitor to
check for changes to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\
and can see svchost (dhcpsvc.dll) opening the DHCPNameServer key and deleting
it.

Any ideas?

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBD?=

      29th May 2007
Hi, its ok I have found the source of the problem and kicked the relevant
backsides. I used the network monitor and discovered that there was an
unconfigured DHCP server running on an OSX server we have. This wasn't giving
out IP addresses to the clients but was telling them that the DNS server was
0.0.0.0.

Another question would be why would it acknowledge DHCP requests when no
scope is defined?

Also why do the XP clients poll for and accept these settings so frequently
- but then always get the correct settings from the 2003 server using an
ipconfig/renew

Anyway thanks for your response.