Disabling hard drive

Andrew Wilson

      18th Jul 2012
Hello
Running Win XP with SP3, Exelstor and Maxter hard drives.
I have a 250GB and a 80GB hard drive. I use the 80GB hard drive to clone
from the 250GB hard drive every month using Norton Ghost. The 250GB drive is
set to boot in the BIOS list (80GB drive not selected at all).
Questions:
1) Should I disable the 80GB drive in Device Manager to avoid corruption and
just enable it when I want to Norton Ghost to it?
2) If I do disable it and the 250GB drive fails completely at some point how
would I enable the 80GB drive? If I selected this as the new boot drive in
start up BIOS would it automatically be enabled?
Many thanks
Andy

Yousuf Khan

      18th Jul 2012
On 18/07/2012 6:37 AM, Andrew Wilson wrote:
> Hello
> Running Win XP with SP3, Exelstor and Maxter hard drives.
> I have a 250GB and a 80GB hard drive. I use the 80GB hard drive to clone
> from the 250GB hard drive every month using Norton Ghost. The 250GB drive is
> set to boot in the BIOS list (80GB drive not selected at all).
> Questions:
> 1) Should I disable the 80GB drive in Device Manager to avoid corruption and
> just enable it when I want to Norton Ghost to it?
> 2) If I do disable it and the 250GB drive fails completely at some point how
> would I enable the 80GB drive? If I selected this as the new boot drive in
> start up BIOS would it automatically be enabled?
> Many thanks
> Andy

I'd say it would make no difference if disable to drive in Disk Manager.
Just leave it enabled.

Yousuf Khan

glee

      18th Jul 2012
> From: "Yousuf Khan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>> On 18/07/2012 6:37 AM, Andrew Wilson wrote:
>>> Hello
>>> Running Win XP with SP3, Exelstor and Maxter hard drives.
>>> I have a 250GB and a 80GB hard drive. I use the 80GB hard drive to
>>> clone
>>> from the 250GB hard drive every month using Norton Ghost. The 250GB
>>> drive is
>>> set to boot in the BIOS list (80GB drive not selected at all).
>>> Questions:
>>> 1) Should I disable the 80GB drive in Device Manager to avoid
>>> corruption and
>>> just enable it when I want to Norton Ghost to it?
>>> 2) If I do disable it and the 250GB drive fails completely at some
>>> point how
>>> would I enable the 80GB drive? If I selected this as the new boot
>>> drive in
>>> start up BIOS would it automatically be enabled?
>>> Many thanks
>>> Andy

>> I'd say it would make no difference if disable to drive in Disk
>> Manager. Just leave it enabled.

> I agree.

Me too. I would make sure that System Restore is turned OFF for that
drive, though.
--
Glen Ventura
MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009

SC Tom

      18th Jul 2012

"Andrew Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BlwNr.55230$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
> Running Win XP with SP3, Exelstor and Maxter hard drives.
> I have a 250GB and a 80GB hard drive. I use the 80GB hard drive to clone
> from the 250GB hard drive every month using Norton Ghost. The 250GB drive
> is set to boot in the BIOS list (80GB drive not selected at all).
> Questions:
> 1) Should I disable the 80GB drive in Device Manager to avoid corruption
> and just enable it when I want to Norton Ghost to it?
> 2) If I do disable it and the 250GB drive fails completely at some point
> how would I enable the 80GB drive? If I selected this as the new boot
> drive in start up BIOS would it automatically be enabled?
> Many thanks
> Andy

I'm going to play devil's advocate here and disagree with the gist of what
the others have suggested :-)

By leaving the drive connected to the rest of the computer, you are taking
the chance of having it infected along with your system drive if you happen
to pick up some sort of nasty somewhere.
Another thing to consider is, if there's a lightning strike or power surge
anywhere in your area that affects your PC, it could take out both of your
drives, and then you'd have nothing to fall back on.
My suggestion would be to buy an external USB/Firewire/eSATA device
(depending on what ports you have installed on your PC), and either use the
drive you have or a new one to create your images on. The only time it
should be connected to your PC is when your are creating or restoring an
image; other than that, it should be powered down and unplugged from the
wall and the PC.

Of course, that's just my opinion and the method I use, and others will have
differing opinions, but that's OK. I've never lost an image yet, and can
rely on it if I need it. If I was REALLY OC/AR, I'd have copies off-site
like I did when I was working :-)
--
SC Tom

Andrew Wilson

      19th Jul 2012

"SC Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:ju7est$a33$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Andrew Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:BlwNr.55230$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello
>> Running Win XP with SP3, Exelstor and Maxter hard drives.
>> I have a 250GB and a 80GB hard drive. I use the 80GB hard drive to clone
>> from the 250GB hard drive every month using Norton Ghost. The 250GB drive
>> is set to boot in the BIOS list (80GB drive not selected at all).
>> Questions:
>> 1) Should I disable the 80GB drive in Device Manager to avoid corruption
>> and just enable it when I want to Norton Ghost to it?
>> 2) If I do disable it and the 250GB drive fails completely at some point
>> how would I enable the 80GB drive? If I selected this as the new boot
>> drive in start up BIOS would it automatically be enabled?
>> Many thanks
>> Andy
>>

> I'm going to play devil's advocate here and disagree with the gist of what
> the others have suggested :-)
>
> By leaving the drive connected to the rest of the computer, you are taking
> the chance of having it infected along with your system drive if you
> happen to pick up some sort of nasty somewhere.
> Another thing to consider is, if there's a lightning strike or power surge
> anywhere in your area that affects your PC, it could take out both of your
> drives, and then you'd have nothing to fall back on.
> My suggestion would be to buy an external USB/Firewire/eSATA device
> (depending on what ports you have installed on your PC), and either use
> the drive you have or a new one to create your images on. The only time it
> should be connected to your PC is when your are creating or restoring an
> image; other than that, it should be powered down and unplugged from the
> wall and the PC.
>
> Of course, that's just my opinion and the method I use, and others will
> have differing opinions, but that's OK. I've never lost an image yet, and
> can rely on it if I need it. If I was REALLY OC/AR, I'd have copies
> off-site like I did when I was working :-)
> --
> SC Tom

Thanks everyone for your comments.
Tom
That's why I posed the question because I didn't know what to do for the
best. I didn't say this at the time but I also have a smaller USB hard drive
which I clone using Norton Ghost from time to time. This is disconnected and
stored when the ghost is complete.
Still don't know what to do for the best with the 80GB drive though.....
Thanks
Andy

SC Tom

      19th Jul 2012

"Andrew Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0oHNr.38305$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "SC Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:ju7est$a33$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> "Andrew Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:BlwNr.55230$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hello
>>> Running Win XP with SP3, Exelstor and Maxter hard drives.
>>> I have a 250GB and a 80GB hard drive. I use the 80GB hard drive to clone
>>> from the 250GB hard drive every month using Norton Ghost. The 250GB
>>> drive is set to boot in the BIOS list (80GB drive not selected at all).
>>> Questions:
>>> 1) Should I disable the 80GB drive in Device Manager to avoid corruption
>>> and just enable it when I want to Norton Ghost to it?
>>> 2) If I do disable it and the 250GB drive fails completely at some point
>>> how would I enable the 80GB drive? If I selected this as the new boot
>>> drive in start up BIOS would it automatically be enabled?
>>> Many thanks
>>> Andy
>>>

>> I'm going to play devil's advocate here and disagree with the gist of
>> what the others have suggested :-)
>>
>> By leaving the drive connected to the rest of the computer, you are
>> taking the chance of having it infected along with your system drive if
>> you happen to pick up some sort of nasty somewhere.
>> Another thing to consider is, if there's a lightning strike or power
>> surge anywhere in your area that affects your PC, it could take out both
>> of your drives, and then you'd have nothing to fall back on.
>> My suggestion would be to buy an external USB/Firewire/eSATA device
>> (depending on what ports you have installed on your PC), and either use
>> the drive you have or a new one to create your images on. The only time
>> it should be connected to your PC is when your are creating or restoring
>> an image; other than that, it should be powered down and unplugged from
>> the wall and the PC.
>>
>> Of course, that's just my opinion and the method I use, and others will
>> have differing opinions, but that's OK. I've never lost an image yet, and
>> can rely on it if I need it. If I was REALLY OC/AR, I'd have copies
>> off-site like I did when I was working :-)
>> --
>> SC Tom
>>

> Thanks everyone for your comments.
> Tom
> That's why I posed the question because I didn't know what to do for the
> best. I didn't say this at the time but I also have a smaller USB hard
> drive which I clone using Norton Ghost from time to time. This is
> disconnected and stored when the ghost is complete.
> Still don't know what to do for the best with the 80GB drive though.....
> Thanks
> Andy

As long as you have a separate backup device, then it really doesn't matter
what you do with the 80GB drive. As the others said, just leave it as is :-)
--
SC Tom

Good Guy

      19th Jul 2012
On 19/07/2012 00:10, Andrew Wilson wrote:
> Still don't know what to do for the best with the 80GB drive though.....

Personally I would get rid of it and buy an external USB Hard disk.
External HDs are getting cheaper day by day and you will do yourself
justice by getting one.

Alternatively, get hold of a 64GB flash drive but the but the relative
price ratio to GB won't make sense to get one for the job you want to do.

--
Good Guy
Website: http://mytaxsite.co.uk

Char Jackson

      19th Jul 2012
On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 01:00:07 +0100, Good Guy <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 19/07/2012 00:10, Andrew Wilson wrote:
>> Still don't know what to do for the best with the 80GB drive though.....
>>

>Personally I would get rid of it and buy an external USB Hard disk.
>External HDs are getting cheaper day by day and you will do yourself
>justice by getting one.

I'd be happy if hard drive prices would just get back to where they
were before the floods.

Char Jackson

      19th Jul 2012
On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 22:13:09 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>From: "Char Jackson" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>> On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 01:00:07 +0100, Good Guy <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> Personally I would get rid of it and buy an external USB Hard disk.
>>> External HDs are getting cheaper day by day and you will do yourself
>>> justice by getting one.

>> I'd be happy if hard drive prices would just get back to where they
>> were before the floods.

>It has given a lift in the position and sale of SSD so it's not all bad.

Every dark cloud has a silver lining. :-)

glee

      19th Jul 2012
> From: "glee" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> From: "Yousuf Khan" <(E-Mail Removed)>

>>> I agree.

>> Me too. I would make sure that System Restore is turned OFF for that
>> drive, though.

> I'm not sure that's neccessary. Ghost image files are data files that
> are not subject to be in the System Restore cache.

System Restore will still be writing to the drive regardless, if
monitoring is on. On an old drive like this (80GB), I'd want as few
unnecessary writes as possible.
--
Glen Ventura
MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009