disabling arrow key scrolling

Gary

      25th Sep 2008
Hello,

From what I can tell, this isn't possible, but figured I'd ask here anyway.
I've noticed that some web based games (Flash or Java) require that you use
the arrow keys to navigate the game screen; however, when you use the arrow
keys, the scroll bar moves along with the game character which can be quite
annoying. I don't have any problem with Firefox, but my friend insists on
using Internet Explorer, so I just wanted to know: is it possible to disable
arrow key scrolling within IE?

Thanks

Robert Aldwinckle

      25th Sep 2008
"Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> From what I can tell, this isn't possible, but figured I'd ask here anyway.
> I've noticed that some web based games (Flash or Java) require that you use
> the arrow keys to navigate the game screen; however, when you use the arrow
> keys, the scroll bar moves along with the game character which can be quite
> annoying. I don't have any problem with Firefox, but my friend insists on
> using Internet Explorer, so I just wanted to know:

> is it possible to disable arrow key scrolling within IE?

As an end user? Probably only by resizing the window so
in contains the whole document without scrollbars.
Otherwise you could try holding down a modifier key
while you press the cursor key, in case that combination
would be ignored by the browser but seen by the web program.

BTW I don't think that the symptom that you are reporting is normal
so you could also experiment from the point of view of disabling or
uninstalling other programs that might be interfering and causing this.

> Thanks

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

jason@starvingeyes.com

      10th Oct 2008
Yeah, this is annoying..but I've found that you can get around it by
creating an iframe on the page about the size of your flash movie and
then putting the game in the iframe. For this, the user will have to
mouse click the area in the iframe, but it will prevent the scrolling.