Disable Search Companion

=?Utf-8?B?YWw=?=

      17th Oct 2003
How do I disable the Search Companion when using the Internet Explorer 6.0?
I never had it come up before,but now every time I go on the internet the Search companion comes up.I tried to just close the window but the next time I go on, it reappears.
Thanks for any help on this.
-al

siljaline

      17th Oct 2003

"al" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> How do I disable the Search Companion when using the Internet Explorer 6.0?
> I never had it come up before,but now every time I go on the internet the Search companion comes up.I tried to just close the window but the next time I go on, it reappears.
> Thanks for any help on this.
> -al

Your search companion *may* have been hijacked by Spyware!

Run the detection script on this page:
http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/
If no joy, run Lavasoft's Ad-aware from this link:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

HTH and please post back with your findings.
--

siljaline MS MVP IE/OE

(Please reply to group, as reply address is invalid, so that we can all benefit)

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

      19th Oct 2003

sucker's game
>because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be

indistinguishable from
>-- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite

amounts of free time."
>- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
>

>Hi,

I tried to do what you suggested,but nothing worked.
I don't think it's coming from spyware, I think it's
coming from some sort of set-up thru Windows XP.The
Search companion I get on the side of my brower is the
same as my search screen when using Window Xp.When I go
under View to Explorer bar and uncheck the "SEARCH" from
the list(Media,Favorites,etc..)
The search companion closes.However, when I log on to the
internet again it returns.
Thanks for your help,
Al