Disable / Modify Windows XP Idle lock out behaviour

Saul Carpenter

      5th Apr 2010
Hi
I have XP SP3.
I tried tired ...in just about all forums..yahoo answers and none of them
get me the solution...so I have come to the make of it all Microsoft .
My XP locks the user after some 4-5 mins of idling out . What I did so far :
<> CP > Remove prompt for pw.
<> gpedit : ALT CTL DEL lock option disabled.
<> gpedit : screen saver password option disabled etc
Still I have same problem. How do I change the idle lock out time to some
4-5 hrs instead of mins or else how to just disable locking behavior .

nass

      5th Apr 2010

"Saul Carpenter" wrote:

> Hi
> I have XP SP3.
> I tried tired ...in just about all forums..yahoo answers and none of them
> get me the solution...so I have come to the make of it all Microsoft .
> My XP locks the user after some 4-5 mins of idling out . What I did so far :
> <> CP > Remove prompt for pw.
> <> gpedit : ALT CTL DEL lock option disabled.
> <> gpedit : screen saver password option disabled etc
> Still I have same problem. How do I change the idle lock out time to some
> 4-5 hrs instead of mins or else how to just disable locking behavior .

Hi,
Try the Power management options or by right click an empty area on your
Desktop and then click Properties >> ScreenSaver > click on Power button at
the bottom and try to set the right setting you want there.
It should be listed in the gpedit.msc CPL!
HTH
nass
--
http://www.nasstec.co.uk

..

Saul Carpenter

      6th Apr 2010

"nass" wrote:

> "Saul Carpenter" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > I have XP SP3.
> > I tried tired ...in just about all forums..yahoo answers and none of them
> > get me the solution...so I have come to the make of it all Microsoft .
> > My XP locks the user after some 4-5 mins of idling out . What I did so far :
> > <> CP > Remove prompt for pw.
> > <> gpedit : ALT CTL DEL lock option disabled.
> > <> gpedit : screen saver password option disabled etc
> > Still I have same problem. How do I change the idle lock out time to some
> > 4-5 hrs instead of mins or else how to just disable locking behavior .
> >

> Hi,
> Try the Power management options or by right click an empty area on your
> Desktop and then click Properties >> ScreenSaver > click on Power button at
> the bottom and try to set the right setting you want there.
> It should be listed in the gpedit.msc CPL!
> HTH
> nass
> --
> http://www.nasstec.co.uk
>

> .
> Thx . That does not help. I already mentioned all that is done. Now I have another problem. When I open gpedit.msc. I get an Internet explorer box . An error has occured - error 54 unspecified error.

You click on the ok button and it ask for some script to continue running
y/n in the background. You can never get to this dialogue because the error
54 is in the foreground and clicking this a few times will close both. This
happens every time , I open any template ( folder ) in gpedit
I am sc***ed

nass

      6th Apr 2010

"Saul Carpenter" wrote:

> "nass" wrote:
>

> > "Saul Carpenter" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > > I have XP SP3.
> > > I tried tired ...in just about all forums..yahoo answers and none of them
> > > get me the solution...so I have come to the make of it all Microsoft .
> > > My XP locks the user after some 4-5 mins of idling out . What I did so far :
> > > <> CP > Remove prompt for pw.
> > > <> gpedit : ALT CTL DEL lock option disabled.
> > > <> gpedit : screen saver password option disabled etc
> > > Still I have same problem. How do I change the idle lock out time to some
> > > 4-5 hrs instead of mins or else how to just disable locking behavior .
> > >

> > Hi,
> > Try the Power management options or by right click an empty area on your
> > Desktop and then click Properties >> ScreenSaver > click on Power button at
> > the bottom and try to set the right setting you want there.
> > It should be listed in the gpedit.msc CPL!
> > HTH
> > nass
> > --
> > http://www.nasstec.co.uk
> >

> > .
> > Thx . That does not help. I already mentioned all that is done. Now I have another problem. When I open gpedit.msc. I get an Internet explorer box . An error has occured - error 54 unspecified error.

> You click on the ok button and it ask for some script to continue running
> y/n in the background. You can never get to this dialogue because the error
> 54 is in the foreground and clicking this a few times will close both. This
> happens every time , I open any template ( folder ) in gpedit
> I am sc***ed

This could be because a corrupt WMI or the shell is corrupt/damaged!

Have a look in the Event Viewer and send us the error messages you will see
there in your next post:
Open a Notepad, customize or minimize to the taskbar as you will need it
later for this step to copy the error message on it.
Open a run command and type in:
eventvwr.msc click [OK] you will get the Event viewer control Panel.
click on each of these:
Application
System
Security
Look in the right Pane/window for error message with red (X) or Yellow
exclamation mark /!\ , double click each one to get more info about the
causer.
On the Event error properties message you will see:
Up Arrow
Down arrow
Two pages
Click on the two pages to copy the error message then bring up the Notepad
you opened earlier and right click on the first line and select Paste from
the list, this will paste the error message on a Notepad.
Please don't duplicate the error message one of each kind will be sufficient.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427/en-us

Please we need just the error messages with Red (X) and don't repeat the
error, just one of each kind and post them back in your next post.

Can you check this machine for viral infection by performing a thorough scan
with an up to date security software?
Try to scan for malware and viruses and let us know your findings:

http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html
Malwarebytes© Corporation - Anti-Malware

BlackLigh
http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA/secu...es/blacklight/
BlackLight
ftp://ftp.f-secure.com/anti-virus/tools/fsbl.exe

Easy Clean
http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA/secu...er/easy-clean/

Run a scan from here on-line:
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/d...d=ie&venid=sym
Download Avast Cleaner (offline scanner) from here:
Comodo BOClean : Anti-Malware Version 4.27
http://www.comodo.com/boclean/boclean.html

Please read this article and don't proceed yet until you send us the error
messages from Event Viewer;
How do I restore security settings to the default settings?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222

HTH
nass
---