Disable Internet Explorer

JAG Distributing

      23rd Oct 2003
It seems like this would be an easy one, but I have not found an
answer and have even searched on Google groups. I would like to
disable use on Internet Explorer for users, but not Admins. When I
log on as a user I open a document in Word and choose Save as Webpage
to the desktop. If I open the page saved tot he desktop it uses IE to
open it then I am able to enter and web address I choose.

So far I have using group policies applied to everyone except Admins.
I used the "Run only allowed Windows applications" policy, but this
did not work. I then specified iexplore.exe in the "Don't run
specified Windows applications" policy, but it did not work.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Matthew Harris [MVP]

      23rd Oct 2003
Have you tried using NTFS permissions on the iexplore.exe
executable to restrict who can access/run it?

-M

JAG Distributing

      23rd Oct 2003
Thanks. I was thinking about that. If a user were to open My
Computer and type an URL in the address bar would this stop them?

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:48:37 -0700, "Matthew Harris [MVP]"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Have you tried using NTFS permissions on the iexplore.exe
>executable to restrict who can access/run it?
>
>-M

JAG Distributing

      23rd Oct 2003
I used permissions, but it didn't work. So what I did is put 0.0.0.0
for a proxy address and hid the connections tab for internet options
in IE. This is working so far.