how to disable internet access

=?Utf-8?B?SmltbXkgU1lTIEFETUlO?=

      19th Apr 2006
I have been given the task to find a program that disables internet access to
a group of machines but allows them to access two specific sites within the
network to do needed work anyone know of such a program or service?

=?Utf-8?B?U3R1?=

      23rd Apr 2006
Your request is really off topic for this news group which is related to
Windows Defender Antispyware issues. Sounds as if you need to design and
create an Intranet. Have you tried Googling Intranets?

Stu

"Jimmy SYS ADMIN" wrote:

> I have been given the task to find a program that disables internet access to
> a group of machines but allows them to access two specific sites within the
> network to do needed work anyone know of such a program or service?

Bill Sanderson MVP

      26th Apr 2006
Presumably, these are XP Pro machines?

Learn about Group Policy.

Specifically, in GPEdit.MSC, see:

User Configuration, Administrative Templates, System, Internet
communications, "Restrict Internet communication."

Now--having said all that, I want to admit that I've NEVER used group policy
for anything, and don't have the vaguest idea what that policy will really
do for you, or what else you need to do to prevent the users from reversing
it, etc--but that seems a good starting place to me.

--

"Jimmy SYS ADMIN" <Jimmy SYS http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have been given the task to find a program that disables internet access
> a group of machines but allows them to access two specific sites within
> the
> network to do needed work anyone know of such a program or service?

Bill Sanderson MVP

      26th Apr 2006
Nah--scratch that--I told you I didn't know anything about this
stuff--that's useful, but not for what I was thinking!

However--group policy IS what you want to be looking at--but not that
particular policy.
That said, I don't see how to do what you are interested in. You should
probably be posting in a more general networking-related group:

You can try here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...xp.network_web

but one related to server-based networking might be a better bet.

--

news:(E-Mail Removed)...