Digital Signiture and Shift Key Bypass

EricG

      10th Jun 2009
I just added a digital signiture to the VBA project in the front end of my
database. The first time I opened it, I got a warning about the certificate,
and I selected the "Always trust..." option. When I did that, I no longer
got the usual security warning dialog which allows me to use the shift key
bypass to open the application with the main Access window showing. Is this
what is supposed to happen? Does adding the signiture automatically prevent
the shift key bypass?

Also, is it possible (or necessary) to convert the ".mdb" file into a ".mde"
file for security purposes?

Thanks in advance,

Eric

EricG

      11th Jun 2009
Never mind, I figured out the right sequence to convert the signed database
front end to an "mde" file that disables the shift key bypass.

Keith Wilby

      11th Jun 2009
"EricG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Never mind, I figured out the right sequence to convert the signed
> database
> front end to an "mde" file that disables the shift key bypass.

An mde does *not* have a disabled bypass key by default.

Keith.
www.keithwilby.co.uk

Tom van Stiphout

      12th Jun 2009
On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:14:00 -0700, EricG
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

But you can still hold down the Shift key while you open the signed
file.

Typically an mdb is first turned into an mde, then signed.
To understand why, consider what a digital signature does: it has two
and only two purposes:
1: It tells you without a doubt who signed the file
2: It tells you that the file was not modified while in transit from
signer to you.
Following this, a signed MDB would still have all source code
available to any user, whereas an MDE does not.

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP

>I just added a digital signiture to the VBA project in the front end of my
>database. The first time I opened it, I got a warning about the certificate,
>and I selected the "Always trust..." option. When I did that, I no longer
>got the usual security warning dialog which allows me to use the shift key
>bypass to open the application with the main Access window showing. Is this
>what is supposed to happen? Does adding the signiture automatically prevent
>the shift key bypass?
>
>Also, is it possible (or necessary) to convert the ".mdb" file into a ".mde"
>file for security purposes?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Eric

EricG

      15th Jun 2009
What I ended up doing was first signing the mdb file, then converting it to
an mde file, then turning off the shift key bypass using my "backdoor"
method, programmatically. That seems to have worked - shift key no longer
works, the digital signiture is intact, and the mde file works.

That's a little backwards compared to your response, but the end result is
probably the same.

Thanks for your response,

Eric