Different screen resolution for different users

Sam Vanderstraeten

      28th Jan 2004
Hi,

I'm using Windows XP Pro UK with different users on one machine. Each user
has his own desktop and layout.
Most of that users are working on 1280 X 1024, but some of them need to have
800 X 600.
How can I set this up, that when that specific users logs on, he has his own
screen resolution?

Thanks for helping me!

Sam

Thorsten Matzner

      28th Jan 2004
"Sam Vanderstraeten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm using Windows XP Pro UK with different users on one machine. Each user
>has his own desktop and layout.
>Most of that users are working on 1280 X 1024, but some of them need to have
>800 X 600.
>How can I set this up, that when that specific users logs on, he has his own
>screen resolution?

Use a third-party tool like 1st QuickRes
(http://gpsoft.hypermart.net/aqr.html) for that purpose.
"Display Resolution and Color Depth Settings Apply to All Users"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281565)

--
(tm)

Rob Schneider

      28th Jan 2004
My understanding is that XP doesn't "remember" screen resolutions for
each user. It's "remembered" for the computer. Suggest you show the
users how to right mouse click on desktop then pick properties and from
their set the resolution they want.

Hope this is useful to you. Let us know.

rms

Sam Vanderstraeten wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Windows XP Pro UK with different users on one machine. Each user
> has his own desktop and layout.
> Most of that users are working on 1280 X 1024, but some of them need to have
> 800 X 600.
> How can I set this up, that when that specific users logs on, he has his own
> screen resolution?
>
> Thanks for helping me!
>
> Sam

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

      28th Jan 2004
Sam Vanderstraeten wrote:

> I'm using Windows XP Pro UK with different users on one machine. Each user
> has his own desktop and layout.
> Most of that users are working on 1280 X 1024, but some of them need to have
> 800 X 600.
> How can I set this up, that when that specific users logs on, he has his own
> screen resolution?

Hi

Some command line freeware utilities MultiRes , Resolution Changer, Vidres that
can help you:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...35%40hydro.com

If you need to support "Fast User Switching":

XP Keep per User Display Settings 1.0
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/sto41/en/My%...aySettings.htm

--
torgeir
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page

Ramesh [MVP]

      28th Jan 2004
Sam,

Not possible without a third-party utility.

Try MVP Doug Knox's utility:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_userdisplay.htm

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

Prevent Spyware from being installed:

Prevent malware from being installed - Part 2:
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malwar...ce_Example.htm

"Sam Vanderstraeten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:40182f7b$0$321$(E-Mail Removed)...
Hi,

I'm using Windows XP Pro UK with different users on one machine. Each user
has his own desktop and layout.
Most of that users are working on 1280 X 1024, but some of them need to have
800 X 600.
How can I set this up, that when that specific users logs on, he has his own
screen resolution?

Thanks for helping me!

Sam

kooee

      29th Jan 2004
Nice reply and nice program Multi Res.
Installation of many good video card`s software often have this feature
built in.
Advanced settings often have checkbox to enable taskbar icon in startup
group.
However, XP often installs the drivers automatically and best left as is.
Just add Multi Res and you have all you need.

      29th Jan 2004

i just upgraded to xp home and a new monitor (17 inch
flat). Well my wife hates the 1280 x 1024 screen size.
So, for us XP does remember the settings for each user.
so, with each user account have them right click and
change the screen size....when they log of it should
remember.

rob

bp

      29th Jan 2004
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 01:59:54 -0800,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>i just upgraded to xp home and a new monitor (17 inch
>flat). Well my wife hates the 1280 x 1024 screen size.
>So, for us XP does remember the settings for each user.
>so, with each user account have them right click and
>change the screen size....when they log of it should
>remember.

It won't
This is a well known ,ahh, feature of XP.
There are some third party apps that will fix it but I don't have the
links, sorry.