What is the difference betwenn "Slot A" and "Socket A" ?

Peter Meister

      29th Nov 2006
I am a bit confused about the difference of motherboard sockets
labelled "Slot A" and "Socket A".

Often it is written that AMD Athlon CPUS fit into SLot A
and at other places into Socket A.

So if Athlon CPUS fit into both types then the socket types must be the same ?

Or are there any differences ?
Which one is the "better" ?

Can both socket types hold AMD Athlon mobile resp AMD Athlon XP mobile CPUs ?

Peter

Michael Mantz

      29th Nov 2006
"Peter Meister" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:456d82c1$0$18847$(E-Mail Removed)-online.net...
> I am a bit confused about the difference of motherboard sockets
> labelled "Slot A" and "Socket A".
>
> Often it is written that AMD Athlon CPUS fit into SLot A
> and at other places into Socket A.
>
> So if Athlon CPUS fit into both types then the socket types must be the

same ?

> Or are there any differences ?
> Which one is the "better" ?
>
> Can both socket types hold AMD Athlon mobile resp AMD Athlon XP mobile

CPUs ?

slot a http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../5e/Slot_A.png
socket a
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...t_462.saa.jpeg

Kyle

      29th Nov 2006
Early Athlon CPUs were "Slot A" meaning the CPU, cache, HS and fan
were mounted in a modular package and plugged into a slot on the mobo
like the older Pentium IIs. Later Athlon CPUs are "socket A" and drop
into a typical ZIF cpu socket. The 2 designs are incompatible.

--
Best regards,
Kyle
"Peter Meister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:456d82c1$0$18847$(E-Mail Removed)-online.net...
| I am a bit confused about the difference of motherboard sockets
| labelled "Slot A" and "Socket A".
|
| Often it is written that AMD Athlon CPUS fit into SLot A
| and at other places into Socket A.
|
| So if Athlon CPUS fit into both types then the socket types must be
the same ?

| Or are there any differences ?
| Which one is the "better" ?
|
| Can both socket types hold AMD Athlon mobile resp AMD Athlon XP
mobile CPUs ?

| Peter

George Macdonald

      29th Nov 2006
On 29 Nov 2006 12:53:21 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Peter Meister) wrote:

>I am a bit confused about the difference of motherboard sockets
>labelled "Slot A" and "Socket A".
>
>Often it is written that AMD Athlon CPUS fit into SLot A
>and at other places into Socket A.
>
>So if Athlon CPUS fit into both types then the socket types must be the same ?

No - The Slot A was AMD's CPU packaging answer to Intel's Pentium 2&3 SECC:
a CPU mounted on a PCB along with the L2 cache SRAM chips - the PCB has an
edge connector which fits in a slot in the same was an an ISA, PCI or PCI-e
card fits in a slot. AMD used the same physical slot connectors but
reversed the keying to avoid catastrophes.

When Intel went to socket 370, AMD followed with Socket A: the L2 cache was
integrated into the CPU die and the PGA (Pin Grid Array) package fit in a
socket.... again, like with previous sockets.

>Or are there any differences ?
>Which one is the "better" ?
>
>Can both socket types hold AMD Athlon mobile resp AMD Athlon XP mobile CPUs ?

I don't recall what the cut-off was on Athlons speedwise but there were no
XPs produced in a Socket A form factor.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald

Wes Newell

      29th Nov 2006
On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 12:53:21 +0000, Peter Meister wrote:

> I am a bit confused about the difference of motherboard sockets
> labelled "Slot A" and "Socket A".
>
> Often it is written that AMD Athlon CPUS fit into SLot A
> and at other places into Socket A.
>
> So if Athlon CPUS fit into both types then the socket types must be the same ?
>
> Or are there any differences ?
> Which one is the "better" ?
>
> Can both socket types hold AMD Athlon mobile resp AMD Athlon XP mobile CPUs ?

Both Slot A and socket A or pretty much now obsolete, but just the name
should tell you some difference in them. Slot. Socket. Come on now. Athlon
is just a name. There are many different ones with many different
interfaces. The board must match the cpu interface type. a rough list of
these starting with the original Athlon is slot A, socket A (462), 754,
940, 939, AM2, and several more in the works for the newer cpu's.

Brian Campbell

      29th Nov 2006
Slot A is A really old standard for Athlon CPU's, very rare now, but stay
away from this. I think you are confusing Socket A and Socket 462,
which are the same thing. Socket A or Socket 462 is a much better
standard than Slot A.

As for the mobile CPU's, it depends a lot on the motherboard. If it is a
newer motherboard, you will have no problem. The older motherboards are a
bit more iffy. The CPU's fit into the socket, but the cpu's are
electrically different, and you need a motherboard that can handle the
differences.

Peter Meister ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
: I am a bit confused about the difference of motherboard sockets
: labelled "Slot A" and "Socket A".

: Often it is written that AMD Athlon CPUS fit into SLot A
: and at other places into Socket A.

: So if Athlon CPUS fit into both types then the socket types must be the same ?

: Or are there any differences ?
: Which one is the "better" ?

: Can both socket types hold AMD Athlon mobile resp AMD Athlon XP mobile CPUs ?

: Peter

paulmd@efn.org

      30th Nov 2006

Peter Meister wrote:
> I am a bit confused about the difference of motherboard sockets
> labelled "Slot A" and "Socket A".
>
> Often it is written that AMD Athlon CPUS fit into SLot A
> and at other places into Socket A.

They are different. Slot A is just that, a slot. Fastest ones I've seen
in this form are 1ghz. Uncommon, even when it was still being produced.

> So if Athlon CPUS fit into both types then the socket types must be the same ?

Socket 462, and socket A ARE the same.

> Or are there any differences ?
> Which one is the "better" ?

The socket.

> Can both socket types hold AMD Athlon mobile resp AMD Athlon XP mobile CPUs ?

Well, no, not really. Many old notebooks did use a full size Athlon, or
Duron. So, yes, some of them are socket A. The newer ones use a
different socket, though still the same one as the equivalent desktop
variety.

paulmd@efn.org

      30th Nov 2006

Peter Meister wrote:
> I am a bit confused about the difference of motherboard sockets
> labelled "Slot A" and "Socket A".
>
> Often it is written that AMD Athlon CPUS fit into SLot A
> and at other places into Socket A.

They are different. Slot A is just that, a slot. Fastest ones I've seen
in this form are 1ghz. Uncommon, even when it was still being produced.

> So if Athlon CPUS fit into both types then the socket types must be the same ?

Socket 462, and socket A ARE the same.

> Or are there any differences ?
> Which one is the "better" ?

The socket.

> Can both socket types hold AMD Athlon mobile resp AMD Athlon XP mobile CPUs ?

Well, no, not really. Many old notebooks did use a full size Athlon, or
Duron. So, yes, some of them are socket A. The newer ones use a
different socket, though still the same one as the equivalent desktop
variety.

Tony Hill

      30th Nov 2006
wrote:

>I am a bit confused about the difference of motherboard sockets
>labelled "Slot A" and "Socket A".
>
>Often it is written that AMD Athlon CPUS fit into SLot A
>and at other places into Socket A.

REALLY old Athlons fit into Slot A. It was first used in mid-1999 and
pretty much discontinued by the end of 2000. Slot A was a cartridge
like design, nearly identical to Slot 1 used on the original Intel
Pentium II and Pentium III processors.

Socket A was the successor to Slot A, introduced in mid-2000. It was
a more traditional socket style (hence the name the same physical
size as Intel's Socket 370 for their later Pentium III and Celeron
chips.

As a bit of an aside, Socket A has been discontinued as well. All
current AMD chips use one of their newer socket (Socket 754, Socket
939, Socket AM2, etc.) design for the Athlon64, Athlon64 X2, Opteron
or the new Sempron chips.

>So if Athlon CPUS fit into both types then the socket types must be the same ?

Nope. The Athlon was sold for both sockets (much like Intel's Pentium
III was sold for both Slot 1 and Socket 370). There are VERY few
Athlons left for Slot A, it was very much a stop-gap solution until
AMD was able to integrate some cache memory onto their processor core.
Once that happened (mid 2000) there was no use at all to use the more
expensive cartridge design, so it was dropped in favor of the much
cheaper socketed design.

>Or are there any differences ?
>Which one is the "better" ?

Neither is so much "better" except that Socket A was much cheaper.

>Can both socket types hold AMD Athlon mobile resp AMD Athlon XP mobile CPUs ?

Athlon mobile and Athlon XP mobile chips were *ONLY* ever released as
Socket A chips. Slot A chips were somewhat larger than a deck of
cards, so they really wouldn't have fit into a laptop very well!

Unless you specifically KNOW that you're looking for a Slot A chip,
avoid them. Ohh, and also you should consider yourself lucky that you
got an AMD chip, because figuring out Intel's sockets is MUCH worse!
--
Tony Hill

The little lost angel

      30th Nov 2006
wrote:

>I am a bit confused about the difference of motherboard sockets
>labelled "Slot A" and "Socket A".
>
>Often it is written that AMD Athlon CPUS fit into SLot A
>and at other places into Socket A.

>So if Athlon CPUS fit into both types then the socket types must be the same ?
>
>Or are there any differences ?
>Which one is the "better" ?

Earlier Athlons came in a cartridge that you insert into a slot, hence
Slot A.

Subsequently, they revert back to the more familiar "square chip"
which fits into Socket A. AthlonXP are all Socket A IIANW.

Since Socket A AthlonXP are later models, they are naturally "better".

>Can both socket types hold AMD Athlon mobile resp AMD Athlon XP mobile CPUs ?

No.

--
A Lost Angel, fallen from heaven
Lost in dreams, Lost in aspirations,