Difference between Access 2007 and Access 2010?

BrianDP

      10th Aug 2010
I have an application that I wrote in Access, Client/Server, "Split"
Database if you like. Some of the workstations run on Access 2007,
and they work fine. We got some NEW installations faster newer
<better??> Anyway I figured try the application out on multiple
versions of Access. It works on all the versions of Office I have,
EXCEPT Office 2010. Does anyone know of anything special about
office 2010?

Thanks!

-BrianDP
Best Data Processing

David W. Fenton

      11th Aug 2010
BrianDP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed)
:

> I have an application that I wrote in Access, Client/Server,
> "Split" Database if you like. Some of the workstations run on
> Access 2007, and they work fine. We got some NEW installations
> faster newer
><better??> Anyway I figured try the application out on multiple
> versions of Access. It works on all the versions of Office I
> have, EXCEPT Office 2010. Does anyone know of anything special
> about office 2010?

Well, what doesn't work?

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
contact via website only http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/

BrianDP

      11th Aug 2010
On Aug 10, 8:12*pm, "David W. Fenton" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> BrianDP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote innews:(E-Mail Removed)
> :
>
> > I have an application that I wrote in Access, Client/Server,
> > "Split" Database if you like. *Some of the workstations run on
> > Access 2007, and they work fine. *We got some NEW installations
> > faster newer
> ><better??> *Anyway I figured try the application out on multiple
> > versions of Access. *It works on all the versions of Office I
> > have, EXCEPT Office 2010. * Does anyone know of anything special
> > about office 2010?

> Well, what doesn't work?
>
> --
> David W. Fenton * * * * * * * * *http://www.dfenton.com/
> contact via website only * *http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/

It opens, and just sits there. It says it's calculating along the
bottom. Fairly quickly, the application turns all white, and
crashes. I've tried removing any code that may be running when that
form opens, but it still hangs on open. The very same application
when you run it on a 2007 or earlier install works just fine.

Any clues?

-BrianDP

David W. Fenton

      11th Aug 2010
BrianDP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed)
m:

> On Aug 10, 8:12*pm, "David W. Fenton"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> BrianDP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> innews:30419d8e-ee16-4e7c-a347-0ad30a66c

> (E-Mail Removed)
>> :
>>
>> > I have an application that I wrote in Access, Client/Server,
>> > "Split" Database if you like. *Some of the workstations run on
>> > Access 2007, and they work fine. *We got some NEW installations
>> > faster newer
>> ><better??> *Anyway I figured try the application out on multiple
>> > versions of Access. *It works on all the versions of Office I
>> > have, EXCEPT Office 2010. * Does anyone know of anything
>> > special about office 2010?

>> Well, what doesn't work?

> It opens,

What opens?

> and just sits there.

What are you expecting it to do?

> It says it's calculating along the
> bottom. Fairly quickly, the application turns all white, and
> crashes. I've tried removing any code that may be running when
> that form opens, but it still hangs on open. The very same
> application when you run it on a 2007 or earlier install works
> just fine.
>
> Any clues?

Have you tried all the corruption troubleshooting methods first?

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
contact via website only http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/

BrianDP

      31st Aug 2010
On Aug 11, 5:03*pm, "David W. Fenton" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> BrianDP<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote innews:(E-Mail Removed)
> m:
>

> > On Aug 10, 8:12*pm, "David W. Fenton"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >>BrianDP<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> >> innews:30419d8e-ee16-4e7c-a347-0ad30a66c

> > (E-Mail Removed)
> >> :

> >> Well, what doesn't work?

> > It opens,

> What opens?
>
> > and just sits there. *

> What are you expecting it to do?
>
> > It says it's calculating along the
> > bottom. *Fairly quickly, the application turns all white, and
> > crashes. *I've tried removing any code that may be running when
> > that form opens, but it still hangs on open. *The very same
> > application when you run it on a 2007 or earlier install works
> > just fine.

> > Any clues?

> Have you tried all the corruption troubleshooting methods first?
>
> --
> David W. Fenton * * * * * * * * *http://www.dfenton.com/
> contact via website only * *http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/- Hide quoted text -

Well, I FEEL like I've tried all the corruption methods, but, is there
a list of them somewhre so I can be sure I've tried everything?

I'm no access n00by, but this one has me stumped!

Thanks in advance!

-BrianDP

David W. Fenton

      1st Sep 2010
BrianDP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed)
m:

> Well, I FEEL like I've tried all the corruption methods, but, is
> there a list of them somewhre so I can be sure I've tried
> everything?

Well, you should try to avoid various methods of corruption!

The canonical list for corruption troubleshooting, so far as I'm
concerned, is Tony Toews's:

http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/corruptmdbs.htm

(Grrr -- I really hate how Google now munges the links with its
tracking crap so you can't copy them to the clipboard directly any
longer)

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
contact via website only http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/

BrianDP

      9th Sep 2010
On Aug 31, 10:53*pm, "David W. Fenton" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> BrianDP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote innews:(E-Mail Removed)
> m:
>
> > Well, I FEEL like I've tried all the corruption methods, but, is
> > there a list of them somewhre so I can be sure I've tried
> > everything?

> Well, you should try to avoid various methods of corruption!
>
> The canonical list for corruption troubleshooting, so far as I'm
> concerned, is Tony Toews's:
>
> *http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/corruptmdbs.htm
>
> (Grrr -- I really hate how Google now munges the links with its
> tracking crap so you can't copy them to the clipboard directly any
> longer)
>
> --
> David W. Fenton * * * * * * * * *http://www.dfenton.com/
> contact via website only * *http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/

Okay, I've made sure it's not corrupted. Since I've posted, I've
discovered some other things. When they open the database, everything
is fine. it's one particular form, that has several sub forms on it,
that seems to give it the most trouble. In fact, if you open it to
another form first, then everything starts working the way it should.
I thought of writing a little piece of code, that opens the other
window, and closes it, that way, the database is already "Fixed" But
what is it about this one form with its subforms, that when it opens,
it just locks up. It has "Calculating..." at the bottom. and it
never goes away. What is it calculating? All the fields that are
sorted on are indexed..

Help!

-Brian

David W. Fenton

      9th Sep 2010
BrianDP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed)
m:

> Okay, I've made sure it's not corrupted. Since I've posted, I've
> discovered some other things. When they open the database,
> everything is fine. it's one particular form, that has several
> sub forms on it, that seems to give it the most trouble. In fact,
> if you open it to another form first, then everything starts
> working the way it should. I thought of writing a little piece of
> code, that opens the other window, and closes it, that way, the
> database is already "Fixed" But what is it about this one form
> with its subforms, that when it opens, it just locks up. It has
> "Calculating..." at the bottom. and it never goes away. What is
> it calculating? All the fields that are sorted on are indexed..

Perhaps you should now read Tony's Performance FAQ:

http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/performancefaq.htm

It sounds to me like the persistent connection may be the solution
to your problem.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
contact via website only http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/

BrianDP

      21st Sep 2010
On Sep 9, 5:26*pm, "David W. Fenton" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> BrianDP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote innews:(E-Mail Removed)
> m:
>
> > Okay, I've made sure it's not corrupted. *Since I've posted, I've
> > discovered some other things. *When they open the database,
> > everything is fine. *it's one particular form, that has several
> > sub forms on it, that seems to give it the most trouble. *In fact,
> > if you open it to another form first, then everything starts
> > working the way it should. I thought of writing a little piece of
> > code, that opens the other window, and closes it, that way, the
> > database is already "Fixed" * But what is it about this one form
> > with its subforms, that when it opens, it just locks up. *It has
> > "Calculating..." at the bottom. *and it never goes away. *What is
> > it calculating? *All the fields that are sorted on are indexed..

> Perhaps you should now read Tony's Performance FAQ:
>
> *http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/performancefaq.htm
>
> It sounds to me like the persistent connection may be the solution
> to your problem.
>
> --
> David W. Fenton * * * * * * * * *http://www.dfenton.com/
> contact via website only * *http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/

WOW. That has a TON of stuff in it. It'll take me a week to go
through all of this, one of these things has to fix my problem for
sure! Look at all these bugs!

Thanks David.

-BrianDP
Best Data Processing