Diablo 2 takes well over a minute to load...why??

Ulric Van Bergen (UVB)

      6th Jul 2004
this totally baffles me.

I have a dell dimension 8100 running winxp home with 384 megs of ram and an
nvidia geforce 2 mx ultra 64 meg vid card and a 100 gig hd. I see no reason
for a program to take that long to load. adobe loads faster than that. help
please.

UVB

Jose Francisco

      6th Jul 2004
Greetings,

Have you tried downloading the lastest updates and fixes for Windows XP.
What about updating the game with patchs from Diablo's website.

Thanks and good luck!

Jose Francisco
Owner of BetaConnect - Providing you a new way in technology
Still got problems? Email me!
chicofar at onvol dot com

"Ulric Van Bergen (UVB)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dMAGc.942$(E-Mail Removed)...
> this totally baffles me.
>
> I have a dell dimension 8100 running winxp home with 384 megs of ram and

an
> nvidia geforce 2 mx ultra 64 meg vid card and a 100 gig hd. I see no

reason
> for a program to take that long to load. adobe loads faster than that.

help
> please.
>
> UVB

Ulric Van Bergen (UVB)

      7th Jul 2004
"Jose Francisco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:e6o$iv3YEHA.1264
@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl:

Been there, done all that exhaustively. I was hoping that it was just my
computer draggin when it first started doing that (basically when I
installed it.) I have all the newest updates and patches for windows and
for diablo. Nothing helps. I even went through and killed all the processes
that weren't absolutely critical to system integrity and that didn't help.
I play Diablo2 close to 25 hours a week and this is getting really
annoying. I can go to the bathroom when I start the program and be back at
the same time it finishes loading to the main menu. ARRGGH HELP!!!!

> Greetings,
>
> Have you tried downloading the lastest updates and fixes for Windows XP.
> What about updating the game with patchs from Diablo's website.
>
> Thanks and good luck!

Chris Veverka

      7th Jul 2004
Are you running Diablo 2 under Win XP. I find there to be slightly longer
load times with XP than with Win Me/98. Perhaps it is due to the patches
that have been put out to allow Diablo 2 to work with XP. Also you may want
to increase your base memory from 384 Megs to at least 512, that may also
help.
Chris

"Ulric Van Bergen (UVB)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dMAGc.942$(E-Mail Removed)...
> this totally baffles me.
>
> I have a dell dimension 8100 running winxp home with 384 megs of ram and

an
> nvidia geforce 2 mx ultra 64 meg vid card and a 100 gig hd. I see no

reason
> for a program to take that long to load. adobe loads faster than that.

help
> please.
>
> UVB

Dan Corban

      19th Jul 2004
I would make an educated guess that Safedisc is the cause (Diablo2 uses
Safedisc copy protection). Some CD drives have issues reading Safedisc
protected games or will kick down to a much lower spin speed.

"Ulric Van Bergen (UVB)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dMAGc.942$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have a dell dimension 8100 running winxp home with 384 megs of ram and

an
> nvidia geforce 2 mx ultra 64 meg vid card and a 100 gig hd. I see no

reason
> for a program to take that long to load. adobe loads faster than that.

help
> please.

Ulric Van Bergen (UVB)

      19th Jul 2004
"Dan Corban" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:OdxkldSbEHA.3204
@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

any way to combat this?
my drive is a samsung 3038b cd-rw/dvd-rom combo

> I would make an educated guess that Safedisc is the cause (Diablo2 uses
> Safedisc copy protection). Some CD drives have issues reading Safedisc
> protected games or will kick down to a much lower spin speed.
>
> "Ulric Van Bergen (UVB)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dMAGc.942$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> I have a dell dimension 8100 running winxp home with 384 megs of ram and

> an
>> nvidia geforce 2 mx ultra 64 meg vid card and a 100 gig hd. I see no

> reason
>> for a program to take that long to load. adobe loads faster than that.

> help
>> please.

New Member

      31st Jul 2012
I have this same problem in Win7. I don't want to install any patches, I like the game as it is when it's installed. Is 6GB of RAM not enough?