DHCP with NAT ?

peter walker

      28th Dec 2003
Hi, I have ADSL. I've configured RRAS to give me persistent connection to
the internet. I've also set up NAT under RRAS defining both a public
interface and private interface. I would like to have my LAN clients
automatically assigned an IP address and information like the default
gateway and DNS. Im guessing that one has to configure DHCP into the above
scheme. If i go to RRAS > NAT > properties > Address Assignment and tick
"automatically assign ip add. by using DHCP" (here there is a default ip
range of 192.168.0.0 /24) and then connect a client machine to the network,
that client machine does not get an address in the range 192.168.0.0 /24.
Instead they get an IP in the range 169.254.0.0 /16 which i believe NAT is
assigning. Now Im getting confused as to how i can automatically assign IP,
DG & DNS info to my clients. How is it that NAT can interact with DHCP. I
thought you have to use one or the other? Both assign IP addresses to
clients. Do i have to set up the DHCP service?

All i want to do is be able to:
1. assign ip addresses,DNS & Default Gateway info to various clients on my
LAN to access the internet
2. have those clients access the internet via ADSL with persistent
connection
3. (important) Be able to exclude various ip addresses for specific devices
like routers/switches.

Thanks!

peter walker

      28th Dec 2003
dont worry about it

i managed to figure it out

cheers,
Hz

"peter walker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:19yHb.6187$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, I have ADSL. I've configured RRAS to give me persistent connection to
> the internet. I've also set up NAT under RRAS defining both a public
> interface and private interface. I would like to have my LAN clients
> automatically assigned an IP address and information like the default
> gateway and DNS. Im guessing that one has to configure DHCP into the above
> scheme. If i go to RRAS > NAT > properties > Address Assignment and tick
> "automatically assign ip add. by using DHCP" (here there is a default ip
> range of 192.168.0.0 /24) and then connect a client machine to the

network,
> that client machine does not get an address in the range 192.168.0.0 /24.
> Instead they get an IP in the range 169.254.0.0 /16 which i believe NAT is
> assigning. Now Im getting confused as to how i can automatically assign

IP,
> DG & DNS info to my clients. How is it that NAT can interact with DHCP. I
> thought you have to use one or the other? Both assign IP addresses to
> clients. Do i have to set up the DHCP service?
>
> All i want to do is be able to:
> 1. assign ip addresses,DNS & Default Gateway info to various clients on my
> LAN to access the internet
> 2. have those clients access the internet via ADSL with persistent
> connection
> 3. (important) Be able to exclude various ip addresses for specific

devices
> like routers/switches.
>
> Thanks!

Marc Reynolds [MSFT]

      28th Dec 2003
Hi,

You still need to configure the DHCP service with the appropriate scope and
options.

--

Thanks,
Marc Reynolds

"peter walker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:19yHb.6187$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, I have ADSL. I've configured RRAS to give me persistent connection to
> the internet. I've also set up NAT under RRAS defining both a public
> interface and private interface. I would like to have my LAN clients
> automatically assigned an IP address and information like the default
> gateway and DNS. Im guessing that one has to configure DHCP into the above
> scheme. If i go to RRAS > NAT > properties > Address Assignment and tick
> "automatically assign ip add. by using DHCP" (here there is a default ip
> range of 192.168.0.0 /24) and then connect a client machine to the

network,
> that client machine does not get an address in the range 192.168.0.0 /24.
> Instead they get an IP in the range 169.254.0.0 /16 which i believe NAT is
> assigning. Now Im getting confused as to how i can automatically assign

IP,
> DG & DNS info to my clients. How is it that NAT can interact with DHCP. I
> thought you have to use one or the other? Both assign IP addresses to
> clients. Do i have to set up the DHCP service?
>
> All i want to do is be able to:
> 1. assign ip addresses,DNS & Default Gateway info to various clients on my
> LAN to access the internet
> 2. have those clients access the internet via ADSL with persistent
> connection
> 3. (important) Be able to exclude various ip addresses for specific

devices
> like routers/switches.
>
> Thanks!

peter walker

      28th Dec 2003
Yep done. I actually forgot to make the IP address static on the server pc
prior to all the RRAS/NAT configuration. It works beautifully now

Thanks!

Hz

"Marc Reynolds [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> You still need to configure the DHCP service with the appropriate scope

and
> options.
>
> --
>
> Thanks,