PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

Device manager doesn't see new wireless router

 
 
JonMiller9
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      25th Nov 2006
Hi all,

I recently installed a Netgear WGT624v3 wireless router. The device
works fine and delivers the internet to the other computer on the
network. I've been trying to straighten out networking problems and I
can't get started because Device Manager doesn't recognize the router
is present. I've clicked on "show hidden devices" and clicked on every
tab for every type of hardware without finding it.

The computer does recognize the presence of the ethernet LAN card. The
computer is currently connected to the internet by one ethernet cable
that runs from the modem to the router and then another running from
the router to the ethernet port. Any suggestions?

TIA,

Jon

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
frodo@theshire.net
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      25th Nov 2006
the router should NOT show up in Device Manager; the box's network adapter
should show up, but not the router itself. if you can call up the
router's config page w/ your browser (usually http://192.168.0.1) then you
are gettting thru to it.

One way to straighten out these issues fairly easily is to run the Network
Setup Wizzard (in Control Panel). It will ensure that all neccessary
services are running and that all basic settings are made. Note it
usually turns on more things than are actually needed, but it's a good
starting point.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
JonMiller9
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      25th Nov 2006

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> the router should NOT show up in Device Manager; the box's network adapter
> should show up, but not the router itself. if you can call up the
> router's config page w/ your browser (usually http://192.168.0.1) then you
> are gettting thru to it.
>
> One way to straighten out these issues fairly easily is to run the Network
> Setup Wizzard (in Control Panel). It will ensure that all neccessary
> services are running and that all basic settings are made. Note it
> usually turns on more things than are actually needed, but it's a good
> starting point.


That's the difficulty. I've run Network Setup Wizard several times
without any results. The wireless connection does not appear under
Network Connections. The fix I've found for that
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870702) begins with making corrections
in Device Manager. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Jon

 
Reply With Quote
 
DanS
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      25th Nov 2006
"JonMiller9" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

>
> That's the difficulty. I've run Network Setup Wizard several times
> without any results. The wireless connection does not appear under
> Network Connections. The fix I've found for that
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870702) begins with making
> corrections in Device Manager. Suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon
>


I suggest you provide more details.

Seems as if the rtr isn't your problem, but configuring your wireless
client to access the rtr is ?
 
Reply With Quote
 
JonMiller9
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      25th Nov 2006

DanS wrote:

> I suggest you provide more details.
>
> Seems as if the rtr isn't your problem, but configuring your wireless
> client to access the rtr is ?


Could be. I'm running Windows XP on both computers. I've got a Netgear
WGT624v3 router on one computer and a Belkin Wireless G USB network
adapter connected to the other. I set up the initial network through
Netgear's config page. This is the one that delivered the internet
without any problem. Since I couldn't share files on this link (files
are set for sharing) I set up another one through the control panel's
network setup utility. On this one, I get a message of "limited or no
connectivity" on the wireless network page. That link asks me if I want
to disconnect when I click on it. The further information for the
problem reads "the network did not assign this computer an IP address".
Trying to fix that problem is what has led me back to trying to find
the router in Device Manager, so it will turn up under Network
Connections.

With both networks, I'm running WEP security I've got SP1 and SP2
installed. I'm also running the free version of zonealarm, Norton
Antivirus, Spybot Search & Destroy.
What other details would help?

Thanks,

Jon

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wireless router to wireless router - can any consumer routers dothis? franzbrown@yahoo.com Windows XP Networking 6 26th Apr 2008 02:45 AM
SMC Wireless router to Wireless router tydixon1@gmail.com Windows XP Networking 1 23rd Jul 2007 09:41 PM
Home Network - Router behind Router? Can I make Router act as a switch? quentinmacdougall@gmail.com Windows XP Networking 4 29th May 2006 09:56 PM
Is Wireless router - Wireless router network possible =?Utf-8?B?QW5keQ==?= Windows XP Networking 1 14th Mar 2006 09:40 PM
wireless router receives signal from another wireless router hk Windows Networking 0 8th Feb 2005 08:15 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:46 PM.