How to determine the age of a computer ?

Skybuck Flying

      8th Jul 2003
Hi,

This might seem a strange question:

How to determine the age of a computer ?

It would be cool if a programmer could find out how old a computer is. ( For
example processor age, or motherboard age )

Down to a few seconds

It should not be possible for software/users to change the age... it should
be something in the hardware

Bye,
Skybuck.

Edward

      8th Jul 2003
just check the BIOS date. It's not accurate but it's close enough.

"Skybuck Flying" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:been30$pof$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl...
> Hi,
>
> This might seem a strange question:
>
> How to determine the age of a computer ?
>
> It would be cool if a programmer could find out how old a computer is. (

For
> example processor age, or motherboard age )
>
> Down to a few seconds
>
> It should not be possible for software/users to change the age... it

should
> be something in the hardware
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

      8th Jul 2003

"Edward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:SiBOa.31$(E-Mail Removed)2.webusenet.com...
> just check the BIOS date. It's not accurate but it's close enough.

The bios date can be changed ?!

Edward

      8th Jul 2003
I meant the date of the bios itself. Not the time the bios keeps.

"Skybuck Flying" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:beepbc$qi5$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl...

> "Edward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:SiBOa.31$(E-Mail Removed)2.webusenet.com...
> > just check the BIOS date. It's not accurate but it's close enough.

> The bios date can be changed ?!

ChrisJ9876

      8th Jul 2003
>From: "Edward" (E-Mail Removed)

>I meant the date of the bios itself. Not the time the bios keeps.

If the BIOS is updated, the date of the BIOS changes.

>"Skybuck Flying" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:beepbc$qi5$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl...
>>
>> "Edward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:SiBOa.31$(E-Mail Removed)2.webusenet.com...
>> > just check the BIOS date. It's not accurate but it's close enough.

>> The bios date can be changed ?!

Alien Zord

      8th Jul 2003
"Edward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:SiBOa.31$(E-Mail Removed)2.webusenet.com...
> just check the BIOS date. It's not accurate but it's close enough.

Its very easy to use a hex editor to change the text strings in a
BIOS.bin file then flash it and hey presto, you have a POST screen
saying the BIOS is of your own creation, showing your desired dates and
logos. I've done it, just for fun.

db

      8th Jul 2003
Skybuck Flying wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This might seem a strange question:
>
> How to determine the age of a computer ?
>
> It would be cool if a programmer could find out how old a computer
> is. ( For example processor age, or motherboard age )
>
> Down to a few seconds
>
> It should not be possible for software/users to change the age... it
> should be something in the hardware
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.

First tell me what a computer is.
The hardware, os, software, etc .. all of which have different ages..
therefore a computer cannot have a definitive age..just an era.
Take your cpu type and look up a database of cpus and find the age of that
particular chip (stepping etc) thats probs the closes tyou'll get.. and
even that isn't foolproof (chage cpu for example)

V W Wall

      8th Jul 2003
Alien Zord wrote:

> "Edward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:SiBOa.31$(E-Mail Removed)2.webusenet.com...
> > just check the BIOS date. It's not accurate but it's close enough.
> >

> Its very easy to use a hex editor to change the text strings in a
> BIOS.bin file then flash it and hey presto, you have a POST screen
> saying the BIOS is of your own creation, showing your desired dates and
> logos. I've done it, just for fun.

I'll bet you've also changed the error message you get when leaving
a non-system disk in the drive! I did. Just for fun.

Virg Wall
--
A foolish consistency is the
hobgoblin of little minds,........

Lane Lewis

      8th Jul 2003
why

db

      8th Jul 2003
Alien Zord wrote:

> Out of curiosity, what does your error message say?

Yo you dumb F*$, you put the wrong disk in you idiot..hahaha you fool!!!
Get your act together ya eigit.