Desperate for Compaq Proliant 3000 advice

Jethro

      26th May 2004
Hi all,

this is desperate plea from an amatuer who has been tasked with trying to
get the only server in a small business Up and running.

Proliant 3000 with 2DH RAID Array

A drive failed (it has 6x9.1Gb). Swapped in a replacement Friday which
started rebuilding.

Monday went to reboot, got past the "F8" screen, onto the spashscreen. Gets
halfway through that then blue screens "Boot device not accesible".

Tried CHKDSK /F from recovery console - same
Tried repair window - same

Have now Installed a side-by-side copy of Windows 2K Server, which works
fine, and lets me see data on the hard drive no problem.

From this I deduce the MACHINE is OK, but the original windows is somehow
wrongly configured.

One odd thing is that when the machine boots up, it has this two-tone beep.
When Windows takes over, the beep stops. When windows closes down, it satrts
again.

Has anyone any ideas of things I could do to get the ORIGINAL windows up &
running. It has all the Exchange data (plus login passwords to the service
providers).

Thanks in advance

Jethro

PHOENIX03

      26th May 2004
> this is desperate plea from an amatuer who has been tasked with trying to
> get the only server in a small business Up and running.
>
> Proliant 3000 with 2DH RAID Array
>
> A drive failed (it has 6x9.1Gb). Swapped in a replacement Friday which
> started rebuilding.
>
> Monday went to reboot, got past the "F8" screen, onto the spashscreen.

Gets
> halfway through that then blue screens "Boot device not accesible".
>
> Tried CHKDSK /F from recovery console - same
> Tried repair window - same
>
> Have now Installed a side-by-side copy of Windows 2K Server, which works
> fine, and lets me see data on the hard drive no problem.
>
> From this I deduce the MACHINE is OK, but the original windows is somehow
> wrongly configured.
>
> One odd thing is that when the machine boots up, it has this two-tone

beep.
> When Windows takes over, the beep stops. When windows closes down, it

satrts
> again.
>
> Has anyone any ideas of things I could do to get the ORIGINAL windows up &
> running. It has all the Exchange data (plus login passwords to the service
> providers).

Hi, Jethro here (different m/c !)

After installing the SmartStart utils, the newer 2K install now crashes !

I managed to get into the recovery console and did a chkdsk ... it spent 4
hours at 50% ... I wasn't sure if it had hung ... I decided to crash out
(if it needs that long I'll set it of over night) ....

micm

      26th May 2004
Jethro ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
(in message c91kao$c0h$(E-Mail Removed))

> Hi all,
>
> this is desperate plea from an amatuer who has been tasked with
> trying to get the only server in a small business Up and running.
>
> Proliant 3000 with 2DH RAID Array
>
> A drive failed (it has 6x9.1Gb). Swapped in a replacement Friday which
> started rebuilding.
>
> Monday went to reboot, got past the "F8" screen, onto the
> spashscreen. Gets halfway through that then blue screens "Boot device
> not accesible".
>
> Tried CHKDSK /F from recovery console - same
> Tried repair window - same
>
> Have now Installed a side-by-side copy of Windows 2K Server, which
> works fine, and lets me see data on the hard drive no problem.
>
> From this I deduce the MACHINE is OK, but the original windows is
> somehow wrongly configured.
>
> One odd thing is that when the machine boots up, it has this two-tone
> beep. When Windows takes over, the beep stops. When windows closes
> down, it satrts again.
>
> Has anyone any ideas of things I could do to get the ORIGINAL windows
> up & running. It has all the Exchange data (plus login passwords to
> the service providers).
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Jethro

Are you *positive* the RAID array rebuilt? Is there a pre-windows-boot raid
bios you can get into to check the state or the arrays?

Mike.

Clint Sharp

      26th May 2004
In message <d85tc.3338$(E-Mail Removed)>, micm
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Are you *positive* the RAID array rebuilt? Is there a pre-windows-boot raid
>bios you can get into to check the state or the arrays?

You can check this from the smart start CD.

--
Clint Sharp

G.Beat

      27th May 2004
"Jethro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c91kao$c0h$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> this is desperate plea from an amatuer who has been tasked with trying to
> get the only server in a small business Up and running.
>
> Proliant 3000 with 2DH RAID Array
>
> A drive failed (it has 6x9.1Gb). Swapped in a replacement Friday which
> started rebuilding.
>
> Monday went to reboot, got past the "F8" screen, onto the spashscreen.
> Gets
> halfway through that then blue screens "Boot device not accesible".
>
> Tried CHKDSK /F from recovery console - same
> Tried repair window - same
>
> Have now Installed a side-by-side copy of Windows 2K Server, which works
> fine, and lets me see data on the hard drive no problem.
>
> From this I deduce the MACHINE is OK, but the original windows is somehow
> wrongly configured.
>
> One odd thing is that when the machine boots up, it has this two-tone
> beep.
> When Windows takes over, the beep stops. When windows closes down, it
> satrts
> again.
>
> Has anyone any ideas of things I could do to get the ORIGINAL windows up &
> running. It has all the Exchange data (plus login passwords to the service
> providers).
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Jethro

Be positive that your RAID controller is functioning properly (has not
failed).
This is often overlooked and I have seen your symptoms -- to eventually
discover a controller
failure.

gb

Big Bob Smith

      3rd Jun 2004
On Wed, 26 May 2004 08:26:00 +0000 (UTC), "Jethro"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>this is desperate plea from an amatuer who has been tasked with trying to
>get the only server in a small business Up and running.
>
>Proliant 3000 with 2DH RAID Array
>
>A drive failed (it has 6x9.1Gb). Swapped in a replacement Friday which
>started rebuilding.
>
>Monday went to reboot, got past the "F8" screen, onto the spashscreen. Gets
>halfway through that then blue screens "Boot device not accesible".
>
>Tried CHKDSK /F from recovery console - same
>Tried repair window - same
>
>Have now Installed a side-by-side copy of Windows 2K Server, which works
>fine, and lets me see data on the hard drive no problem.
>
>From this I deduce the MACHINE is OK, but the original windows is somehow
>wrongly configured.
>
>One odd thing is that when the machine boots up, it has this two-tone beep.
>When Windows takes over, the beep stops. When windows closes down, it satrts
>again.
>
>Has anyone any ideas of things I could do to get the ORIGINAL windows up &
>running. It has all the Exchange data (plus login passwords to the service
>providers).
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Jethro

Ask over in alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers......a few real good
Compaq help folks there............a more direct line for a Compaq
problem