Desktop, start menu, task bar, my documents no longer mapped to Documents and Settings/Administrator

Joe Doakes

      26th Jan 2005
I have a problem with win2K settings on a Thinkpad that I can't figure
out. Returned from vacation, turned on laptop that kids had been
using and opened My Documents. Contents were gone. I checked
location and discovered that the properties were no longer pointing to
Documents and Settings/Administrator/My Documents, but rather to
folder for user name that I login as (Documents and
Settings/Joedoakes/My Documents). I changed the properties back to
Adminstrator location to fix this problem. Then noticed that my
desktop, start menu, task bar were all pointing to Joedoakes instead
of administrator. I can't figure out how to change this back or why
it happened. I went to My Computer-->Manage-->Local Users and
Groups-->Users-->Joedoakes-->properties, and the user name is member
of group Administrators. Any help in how to map settings back to
Administrator would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Pegasus \(MVP\)

      26th Jan 2005

"Joe Doakes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I have a problem with win2K settings on a Thinkpad that I can't figure
> out. Returned from vacation, turned on laptop that kids had been
> using and opened My Documents. Contents were gone. I checked
> location and discovered that the properties were no longer pointing to
> Documents and Settings/Administrator/My Documents, but rather to
> folder for user name that I login as (Documents and
> Settings/Joedoakes/My Documents). I changed the properties back to
> Adminstrator location to fix this problem. Then noticed that my
> desktop, start menu, task bar were all pointing to Joedoakes instead
> of administrator. I can't figure out how to change this back or why
> it happened. I went to My Computer-->Manage-->Local Users and
> Groups-->Users-->Joedoakes-->properties, and the user name is member
> of group Administrators. Any help in how to map settings back to
> Administrator would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Log on under your secondary admin account, then rename the
"Administrator" profile folder to a different name, to force a
new profile to be created.

You might also want to review your password policy. Having
an administrator account that is readily accessible by children
can have some obvious repercussions.