Desktop icon rearrange on refresh anomaly on windows xp

=?Utf-8?B?R2Vvc3Ns?=

      23rd Jul 2006
Dear All,

There is an anomaly which the desktop icons re arrange themselves when
refresh (F5) or reboot. Rearrange icon option is off.

Any remedy?

Thanks.

Wesley Vogel

      23rd Jul 2006
If Lock Web Items on Desktop is checked...
Items can be moved, but they are moved back after reboot.

If Auto Arrange is checked...
The icons are arranged in columns along the left side of your screen.

Right click Desktop | Arrange Icons By |
UNCheck: Auto Arrange
UNCheck: Lock Web Items on Desktop

Auto Arrange
[[Arrange the icons in columns along the left side of your screen.]]

Lock Web Items on Desktop
[[Specifies whether Web content windows or items that *you* have placed on
your desktop are locked in place and canít be moved. Select the check box to
lock Web content in place. Clear the check box if you want to be able to
move Web content.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Geossl <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
> Dear All,
>
> There is an anomaly which the desktop icons re arrange themselves when
> refresh (F5) or reboot. Rearrange icon option is off.
>
> Any remedy?
>
> Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?R2Vvc3Ns?=

      26th Jul 2006
I have tried your suggestion but it does not solve....

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> If Lock Web Items on Desktop is checked...
> Items can be moved, but they are moved back after reboot.
>
> If Auto Arrange is checked...
> The icons are arranged in columns along the left side of your screen.
>
> Right click Desktop | Arrange Icons By |
> UNCheck: Auto Arrange
> UNCheck: Lock Web Items on Desktop
>
> Auto Arrange
> [[Arrange the icons in columns along the left side of your screen.]]
>
> Lock Web Items on Desktop
> [[Specifies whether Web content windows or items that *you* have placed on
> your desktop are locked in place and can’t be moved. Select the check box to
> lock Web content in place. Clear the check box if you want to be able to
> move Web content.]]
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> Geossl <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > There is an anomaly which the desktop icons re arrange themselves when
> > refresh (F5) or reboot. Rearrange icon option is off.
> >
> > Any remedy?
> >
> > Thanks.

Wesley Vogel

      26th Jul 2006
Try this, go here...

Read the instructions at the top.
Scroll down to...
54. Right hand side
Save Settings on Exit - Don't Save Settings
Click on...
Save Settings on Exit

savesettings.reg is the file that you want.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Geossl <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
> I have tried your suggestion but it does not solve....
>

> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> If Lock Web Items on Desktop is checked...
>> Items can be moved, but they are moved back after reboot.
>>
>> If Auto Arrange is checked...
>> The icons are arranged in columns along the left side of your screen.
>>
>> Right click Desktop | Arrange Icons By |
>> UNCheck: Auto Arrange
>> UNCheck: Lock Web Items on Desktop
>>
>> Auto Arrange
>> [[Arrange the icons in columns along the left side of your screen.]]
>>
>> Lock Web Items on Desktop
>> [[Specifies whether Web content windows or items that *you* have placed
>> on your desktop are locked in place and can’t be moved. Select the
>> check box to lock Web content in place. Clear the check box if you want
>> to be able to
>> move Web content.]]
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>> Geossl <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> There is an anomaly which the desktop icons re arrange themselves when
>>> refresh (F5) or reboot. Rearrange icon option is off.
>>>
>>> Any remedy?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

      18th Aug 2006
I tried to set Lock Web Content on Desktop -- I went to the desktop, >
right click > Arrange Icons By > ... but there is no option to LOCK
the web items.

How can I lock down the icons I place on my desktop?

<*(((><

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 11:02:23 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If Lock Web Items on Desktop is checked...
>Items can be moved, but they are moved back after reboot.
>
>If Auto Arrange is checked...
>The icons are arranged in columns along the left side of your screen.
>
>Right click Desktop | Arrange Icons By |
>UNCheck: Auto Arrange
>UNCheck: Lock Web Items on Desktop
>
>Auto Arrange
>[[Arrange the icons in columns along the left side of your screen.]]
>
>Lock Web Items on Desktop
>[[Specifies whether Web content windows or items that *you* have placed on
>your desktop are locked in place and canít be moved. Select the check box to
>lock Web content in place. Clear the check box if you want to be able to
>move Web content.]]
>
>--
>Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
>Wes
>MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
>In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>Geossl <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> There is an anomaly which the desktop icons re arrange themselves when
>> refresh (F5) or reboot. Rearrange icon option is off.
>>
>> Any remedy?
>>
>> Thanks.

Awaiting your responses with baited breath, I remain, yours truly,

<*(((><

Wesley Vogel

      20th Aug 2006
Lock Web Items on Desktop is the command. You may also be missing Show
Desktop icons and Run Desktop Cleanup Wizard.

If you have TweakUI...

TweakUI
[+] Explorer
Allow Web content to be added to the desktop
[[If this is unchecked then the ability to add Web Content to the desktop
will be disabled.]]

Show Desktop Icons will not display if you have unchecked:
Allow Web content to be added to the desktop
in TweakUI.

You will *not* see:

Right click Desktop | Properties | Desktop tab | Customize Desktop button |
Web tab

Or....
Right click Desktop | Arrange Icons By | Show Desktop Icons

Also, *.jpg files will not be listed in...
Display Properties | Desktop tab | Background

TweakUI sets NoActiveDesktop to 1 here...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
Value Name: NoActiveDesktop
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: 0 or 1
0 = Allow Web content to be added to the desktop
1 = Don't allow Web content to be added to the desktop

If you do not have TweakUI, see this for the fix...

"Show Desktop icons" and other options missing in the Desktop right-click
menu
http://www.winxptutor.com/showdesktopicons.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
<*(((>< <*(((> hunted and pecked:
> I tried to set Lock Web Content on Desktop -- I went to the desktop, >
> right click > Arrange Icons By > ... but there is no option to LOCK
> the web items.
>
> How can I lock down the icons I place on my desktop?
>
> <*(((><
>

> On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 11:02:23 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> If Lock Web Items on Desktop is checked...
>> Items can be moved, but they are moved back after reboot.
>>
>> If Auto Arrange is checked...
>> The icons are arranged in columns along the left side of your screen.
>>
>> Right click Desktop | Arrange Icons By |
>> UNCheck: Auto Arrange
>> UNCheck: Lock Web Items on Desktop
>>
>> Auto Arrange
>> [[Arrange the icons in columns along the left side of your screen.]]
>>
>> Lock Web Items on Desktop
>> [[Specifies whether Web content windows or items that *you* have placed
>> on your desktop are locked in place and canít be moved. Select the check
>> box to lock Web content in place. Clear the check box if you want to be
>> able to move Web content.]]
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>> Geossl <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> There is an anomaly which the desktop icons re arrange themselves when
>>> refresh (F5) or reboot. Rearrange icon option is off.
>>>
>>> Any remedy?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

> Awaiting your responses with baited breath, I remain, yours truly,
>
> <*(((><

Rose

      20th Aug 2006
Thanks! I used Tweak UI and locked them down. But when I did that, I
lost the transparency to the fonts. Can I still keep the
transparency?

Thanks!

<*(((><

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 21:20:42 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]
>>> UNCheck: Auto Arrange
>>> UNCheck: Lock Web Items on Desktop
>>>
>>> Auto Arrange
>>> [[Arrange the icons in columns along the left side of your screen.]]
>>>
>>> Lock Web Items on Desktop
>>> [[Specifies whether Web content windows or items that *you* have placed
>>> on your desktop are locked in place and canít be moved. Select the check
>>> box to lock Web content in place. Clear the check box if you want to be
>>> able to move Web content.]]
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>>> Geossl <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:

>> Awaiting your responses with baited breath, I remain, yours truly,
>>
>> <*(((><

Awaiting your responses with baited breath, I remain, yours truly,

This problem may also occur if you turn on the Lock Web Items on Desktop
feature.

See this...

Desktop icons and icon labels may not display background transparency or the
drop shadow effect in Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305117

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Rose <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks! I used Tweak UI and locked them down. But when I did that, I
> lost the transparency to the fonts. Can I still keep the
> transparency?
>
> Thanks!
>
> <*(((><
>

> On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 21:20:42 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Lock Web Items on Desktop is the command. You may also be missing Show
>> Desktop icons and Run Desktop Cleanup Wizard.
>>
>> If you have TweakUI...
>>
>> TweakUI
>> [+] Explorer
>> Allow Web content to be added to the desktop
>> [[If this is unchecked then the ability to add Web Content to the desktop
>> will be disabled.]]
>>
>> Show Desktop Icons will not display if you have unchecked:
>> Allow Web content to be added to the desktop
>> in TweakUI.
>>
>> You will *not* see:
>>
>> Right click Desktop | Properties | Desktop tab | Customize Desktop
>> button | Web tab
>>
>> Or....
>> Right click Desktop | Arrange Icons By | Show Desktop Icons
>>
>> Also, *.jpg files will not be listed in...
>> Display Properties | Desktop tab | Background
>>
>> TweakUI sets NoActiveDesktop to 1 here...
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
>> CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
>> Value Name: NoActiveDesktop
>> Data Type: REG_DWORD
>> Value Data: 0 or 1
>> 0 = Allow Web content to be added to the desktop
>> 1 = Don't allow Web content to be added to the desktop
>>
>> If you do not have TweakUI, see this for the fix...
>>
>> "Show Desktop icons" and other options missing in the Desktop right-click
>> menu
>> http://www.winxptutor.com/showdesktopicons.htm
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>> <*(((>< <*(((> hunted and pecked:
>>> I tried to set Lock Web Content on Desktop -- I went to the desktop, >
>>> right click > Arrange Icons By > ... but there is no option to LOCK
>>> the web items.
>>>
>>> How can I lock down the icons I place on my desktop?
>>>
>>> <*(((><

>>> Awaiting your responses with baited breath, I remain, yours truly,
>>>
>>> <*(((><

> Awaiting your responses with baited breath, I remain, yours truly,
>
> <*(((><

      21st Aug 2006
Hmmm. My goal was to lock the desktop icons into place so that I
could shift between 600x800 and a higher resolution without the icons
moving around -- I have to use the web lock feature. I tried that but
the icons kept moving around. So it looks like web lock wasn't
working, so I turned it off and got my transparent icon labels back.
Oh well. It was worth a try.

<*(((><

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 22:52:28 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This problem may also occur if you turn on the Lock Web Items on Desktop
>feature.
>
>See this...
>
>Desktop icons and icon labels may not display background transparency or the
>drop shadow effect in Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305117
>
>--
>Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
>Wes
>MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
>In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>Rose <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
>> Thanks! I used Tweak UI and locked them down. But when I did that, I
>> lost the transparency to the fonts. Can I still keep the
>> transparency?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> <*(((><
>>

>> On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 21:20:42 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Lock Web Items on Desktop is the command. You may also be missing Show
>>> Desktop icons and Run Desktop Cleanup Wizard.
>>>
>>> If you have TweakUI...
>>>
>>> TweakUI
>>> [+] Explorer
>>> Allow Web content to be added to the desktop
>>> [[If this is unchecked then the ability to add Web Content to the desktop
>>> will be disabled.]]
>>>
>>> Show Desktop Icons will not display if you have unchecked:
>>> Allow Web content to be added to the desktop
>>> in TweakUI.
>>>
>>> You will *not* see:
>>>
>>> Right click Desktop | Properties | Desktop tab | Customize Desktop
>>> button | Web tab
>>>
>>> Or....
>>> Right click Desktop | Arrange Icons By | Show Desktop Icons
>>>
>>> Also, *.jpg files will not be listed in...
>>> Display Properties | Desktop tab | Background
>>>
>>> TweakUI sets NoActiveDesktop to 1 here...
>>>
>>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
>>> CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
>>> Value Name: NoActiveDesktop
>>> Data Type: REG_DWORD
>>> Value Data: 0 or 1
>>> 0 = Allow Web content to be added to the desktop
>>> 1 = Don't allow Web content to be added to the desktop
>>>
>>> If you do not have TweakUI, see this for the fix...
>>>
>>> "Show Desktop icons" and other options missing in the Desktop right-click
>>> menu
>>> http://www.winxptutor.com/showdesktopicons.htm
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>>> <*(((>< <*(((> hunted and pecked:

>> Awaiting your responses with baited breath, I remain, yours truly,
>>
>> <*(((><

Awaiting your responses with baited breath, I remain, yours truly,

<*(((><

Wesley Vogel

      21st Aug 2006
Desktop Layout is saved here...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop

Maybe you could export the key before changing resolution and then Merge it
back after.

I have no idea if that would work or not.

Also...

[[Icons - Lock on Desktop
"In Windows 95/98/NT/2000/ME/XP you can lock down the position of the
Desktop icons using a couple of files from the MS Windows NT 4.0 Resource
Kit.]]
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_i.htm

[[Microsoft's Layout.dll (free) file, which is included in the Windows NT
Resource Kit, can be installed on Windows 2000 and XP systems. This adds the
Save Desktop Icon Layout and Restore Desktop Icon Layout options to the
pop-up menus associated with system icons like the Recycle Bin and My
Computer. It's a bare-bones solution that lacks the useful frills found in
EzDesk, but it gets the job done.]]

zipped layout.dll direct download..
http://www.nthelp.com/proggy/layout.zip

[[Make Desktop Icons Stay in Place
1. Download the zip file that comes from the Windows NT 4.0 Resource Kit.
Don't worry! It'll work with your Windows XP machine.
2. Copy the files in the .zip file onto the desktop. Then place Layout.dll
in your WINDOWS\System32 directory.
3. After the layout.dll is in the right directory, double click on the
layout.reg file.
4. Right click on the My Computer icon on your desktop. You should see two
new commands: Save Desktop Icon Layout and Restore Desktop Icon Layout.
Use them to save and restore your icon arrangement. ]]
http://www.wxpnews.com/index.cfm?id=52

EzDesk Shareware - Manage your Desktop Icons
http://home.comcast.net/~ezwaretech/

They have a free evaluation copy. And if it does want you want, it might be
worth 15 bucks.

About EzDesk Version 1.8
http://home.comcast.net/~ezwaretech/ezdesk_about.html

If you find EzDesk useful and use it regularly please consider registering
it. The registration cost is $15.00 (U.S. funds: cash, check, or money
order). The registration form can be found inside the EzDesk package.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User