PC Review

Closed Thread

what is deploy.akamaitechnologies.com?

ross

      31st Aug 2003
Hi

Can someone tell me what this site is all about:

a203-111-15-229.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com

Not recognising it, my firewall rejected files from that source during a
Windows update - with the result that my whole installation became unuseable.

I have since found that allowing access to this site is also obligatory for
other installations, such as the Windows version of QuickTime (which comes from
an Apple site).

What is this site, and why is it obligatory during installations of software
from different software sources?

Thanks

Ross

David Candy

      31st Aug 2003
http://www.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com.org/
http://digimedia.com/
--
David Candy
http://www.mvps.org/serenitymacros/
"ross" <reply@to_NG_please.com> wrote in message news:bishi6$an0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> Can someone tell me what this site is all about:
>
> a203-111-15-229.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com
>
> Not recognising it, my firewall rejected files from that source during a
> Windows update - with the result that my whole installation became unuseable.
>
> I have since found that allowing access to this site is also obligatory for
> other installations, such as the Windows version of QuickTime (which comes from
> an Apple site).
>
> What is this site, and why is it obligatory during installations of software
> from different software sources?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ross

Patrick Pitre

      31st Aug 2003
Ross,

Akamai provides many IT services like application hosting, content delivery,
and streaming media services, but they are probably best known for their
massive distributed computer infrastructure. In lay terms, they have upwards
of 15,000+ servers positioned around the globe providing content (software
downloads, etc) and media (like QuickTime, RealAudio, or Windows Media
files) for their customers (the likes of Apple, GM, MTV, Department of
Defense, IBM, Microsoft, Monster.com, Yahoo!, Adobe...).

So for instance, say your company developed a web site/application for use
by your customers. On this website, you wanted to make available a few
hundred moderate length video clips. If you intend your website to have even
moderate traffic, you will quickly realize the potentially prohibitive
time/energy/costs involved with building an infrastructure capable of
delivering this content - to make those files available reliably you'll need
lots of bandwidth, reliable servers with a backup strategy, redundant power
and A/C, lots of RAID-ed disk space, finely tuned security precautions, lots
of manpower to watch over everything, and on and on and on.

This is where Akamai comes in. They have the infrastructure already in place
to deliver these services. Companies can save money by having Akamai deliver
their content for them. Akamai has become so ubiquitous that it's hard to go
a day without (perhaps unknowingly) pulling at least some content of one of
their servers, as you have discovered!

I hope this helps.

Patrick Pitre

"ross" <reply@to_NG_please.com> wrote in message
news:bishi6$an0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> Can someone tell me what this site is all about:
>
> a203-111-15-229.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com
>
> Not recognising it, my firewall rejected files from that source during a
> Windows update - with the result that my whole installation became

unuseable.

> I have since found that allowing access to this site is also obligatory

for
> other installations, such as the Windows version of QuickTime (which comes

from
> an Apple site).
>
> What is this site, and why is it obligatory during installations of

software
> from different software sources?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ross

Patrick Pitre

      1st Sep 2003
How bad is your installation? It sounds like you might have lost your user
profile with it's related settings. Are you logging in as another user? You
said "...my whole installation became unusable." Perhaps be specific about
any specific errors you're getting. Let's figure out where you are before
delving into figuring out which updates you need.

Regarding system restore - besides needing disk space (which is fairly
cheap), and some RAM (which is also fairly cheap), I haven't found it to be
the resource hog others have. Sure, it doesn't always work, and there are
the inevitable problems, but it's nice to have - just in case.

Admittedly, when system restore was first introduced in ME, it wasn't quite
ready for prime time, but the XP implementation is a capable product, if
only a bit limited compared to commercial offerings. I've never had any
problems with it... although often times I seem to be luckier than others.

Patrick Pitre

"ross" <reply@to_NG_please.com> wrote in message
news:bit405$o2a$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Patrick Pitre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Ross,
> >
> >Akamai provides many IT services like application hosting, content

delivery,
> >and streaming media services, but they are probably best known for their
> >massive distributed computer infrastructure.

> ... (snip) ... Companies can save money by having Akamai deliver
> >their content for them. Akamai has become so ubiquitous that it's hard to

go
> >a day without (perhaps unknowingly) pulling at least some content of one

of
> >their servers, as you have discovered!

> Thanks Patrick
>
> That's the sort of answer I was looking for. Just looking at their web

page
> didn't provide the logical connection, although it was clear they could

offer a
> range of software and services.
>
> Now - a trickier question. Is there any way I can tell *which* software I

was
> supposed to pull from the akamai site while doing recent security upgrades

> XP? I would really like to allow my crashed update to continue, so I can

get
> back to my original XP installation. I had backed up my 'normal' data

files,
> but when the whole installation is kaput, you lose a lot more - the

settings in
> all your programs, laboriously accumulated link collections and other

lists,
> proprietary internal databases, etc.
>
> I suppose that next time I'll have to enable System Restore during the

updates.
> It's a pity it's such a gargantuan resources hog.
>
> Ross

New Member

      4th Jan 2007
Hope this helps even more...

Patrick is correct, I did some research into it and they help websites function properly, they help with bandwidth etc. Another site that uses it, would be myspace, with all their advertising. There is also an airline that recently signed a contract with them to help with their website. So, it is totaly legal, and it's from the people at MIT, I'm not sure if that's comforting or not, but there ya go.

New Member

      19th Feb 2007
What gives anyone the right to take over control of my browser and send me directly to their tracking pages?
This is exactly what this hidden program does. It follows your every move, it slows down a AMD Turion x2 with 1GB memory and basically freezes the system for minutes at a time, while it records your every step. I have actual failure to complete loading pages if I use Netscape, so it didn't take too long to realize it must have had something to do with the latest Microsoft upgrades.

I will check the site's, but my feeling I think is obvious. Some people at Microsoft feel they can do whatever they want in the name of new technology. This program is nothing but a huge gaathering database to keep track of your every move. Plus if you don't use their software you have to figure out how to fix it.

It's shameless, I hope someone in the legal field decides to take this to court as a class action invasion of privacy, but then I guess they could just jump in behind homeland security? It's terrible.

New Member

      22nd Jun 2007
Yea, obviously microsoft watches people, and its fairly obvious that they have one of the slowest browsers on the market. thats why some smart people who didnt feel that microsoft would change (they were correct) invented Firefox. Has the whole internet gone mad?? normally I refuse to talk to anyone who wastes time using internet exploder, but i want to see IE fail as much as everyone else on the internet, so I'm telling all of you this once and for all. if your waisting time using IE you suck at life.

New Member

      8th Aug 2007
so why is this internet program popping up, (discovered through the command promt, or cmd through run under your start menu) while i am runnin no other programs but AIM? Somebody plz respond or email me on how to close these unauthorized ports. thank you!

Last edited by eLBOw18; 8th Aug 2007 at 04:23 AM..

New Member

      8th Sep 2007
So please.. in baby terms.. HOW DO I BLOCK THEM!???!???

Thanks!

New Member

      24th Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie75
So please.. in baby terms.. HOW DO I BLOCK THEM!???!???

Thanks!

ck
Exactly. I see addresses such as 216.229.161.196.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com. So how do I selectively block say Apple Software Updater, which in the past has been seen to request GIGA bytes of info that the akamai servers gladly push into my external firewall ports.

Does any one know how the name and distribute to aspecific app, so we can block it. I blocked the entire domain and now even ads on this web site go blank... EVERYONE is using them!? Well - maybe.

MORE tech info would be needed to selectively block these items...

Closed Thread