Dell Inspiron 1501 won't turn off since installing SP1

Earle Horton

      22nd Jul 2008
Since I installed Vista SP1, my Dell Inspiron 1501 won't shut off. Screen
goes dark and stops responding to user input, but power indicator on hinge
stays on and unit stays warm. I have to press the power button for several
seconds to get the computer to shut off. This is the only way I can get it
to start up again too. It does not appear to be asleep, but rather stuck in
some exit routine. If I enable the onboard wireless adapter, the wireless
light stays on too.

How do I track down something like this?

Thanks,

Earle

Karl Snooks

      22nd Jul 2008
Earle,
Start | Control Panel |
in either Hardware and Sound or in System and Maintenance or in Mobile PC,
select Power Options

Shawn has a nice explanation on using the Power Options in a Vistax64 forum
tutorial, just a second, let's see if i've got the link somewhere--

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63...-problems.html

start there. Each of his tutorials have links to other tutorial which may
be directed precisely at your problem.

Karl
"Earle Horton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Since I installed Vista SP1, my Dell Inspiron 1501 won't shut off. Screen
> goes dark and stops responding to user input, but power indicator on hinge
> stays on and unit stays warm. I have to press the power button for
> several seconds to get the computer to shut off. This is the only way I
> can get it to start up again too. It does not appear to be asleep, but
> rather stuck in some exit routine. If I enable the onboard wireless
> adapter, the wireless light stays on too.
>
> How do I track down something like this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Earle

Earle Horton

      22nd Jul 2008
This is not a sleep mode problem. It is a failure to shut down from Start,
Shut Down.

Thanks anyway.

Earle

"Karl Snooks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Earle,
> Start | Control Panel |
> in either Hardware and Sound or in System and Maintenance or in Mobile PC,
> select Power Options
>
> Shawn has a nice explanation on using the Power Options in a Vistax64
> forum tutorial, just a second, let's see if i've got the link somewhere--
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63...-problems.html
>
> start there. Each of his tutorials have links to other tutorial which
> may be directed precisely at your problem.
>
> Karl
> "Earle Horton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Since I installed Vista SP1, my Dell Inspiron 1501 won't shut off.
>> Screen goes dark and stops responding to user input, but power indicator
>> on hinge stays on and unit stays warm. I have to press the power button
>> for several seconds to get the computer to shut off. This is the only
>> way I can get it to start up again too. It does not appear to be asleep,
>> but rather stuck in some exit routine. If I enable the onboard wireless
>> adapter, the wireless light stays on too.
>>
>> How do I track down something like this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Earle

kevpan815

      23rd Jul 2008
Re-Format Your Computer And Install Open Source Linux Ubuntu 8.04 Long Term
Support, And/Or Open Source Linux Ubuntu 8.10 Alpha 2, Just FYI. I Remain
Very Proud 2 Call Myself Alias #2, Also Just FYI.

"Earle Horton" wrote:

> Since I installed Vista SP1, my Dell Inspiron 1501 won't shut off. Screen
> goes dark and stops responding to user input, but power indicator on hinge
> stays on and unit stays warm. I have to press the power button for several
> seconds to get the computer to shut off. This is the only way I can get it
> to start up again too. It does not appear to be asleep, but rather stuck in
> some exit routine. If I enable the onboard wireless adapter, the wireless
> light stays on too.
>
> How do I track down something like this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Earle

Imposter Investigations

      23rd Jul 2008
What a stupid response. NOBODY wants to use that piece of **** Ubuntu. It
is FREE and worthless. Only idiots use Ubuntu. Hello Alias and Kevpan815.

"kevpan815" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Re-Format Your Computer And Install Open Source Linux Ubuntu 8.04 Long
> Term
> Support, And/Or Open Source Linux Ubuntu 8.10 Alpha 2, Just FYI. I Remain
> Very Proud 2 Call Myself Alias #2, Also Just FYI.
>
> "Earle Horton" wrote:
>
>> Since I installed Vista SP1, my Dell Inspiron 1501 won't shut off.
>> Screen
>> goes dark and stops responding to user input, but power indicator on
>> hinge
>> stays on and unit stays warm. I have to press the power button for
>> several
>> seconds to get the computer to shut off. This is the only way I can get
>> it
>> to start up again too. It does not appear to be asleep, but rather stuck
>> in
>> some exit routine. If I enable the onboard wireless adapter, the
>> wireless
>> light stays on too.
>>
>> How do I track down something like this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Earle

Earle Horton

      23rd Jul 2008
"glatzfront" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Earle Horton;783266 Wrote:
>> Since I installed Vista SP1, my Dell Inspiron 1501 won't shut off.
>> Screen
>> goes dark and stops responding to user input, but power indicator on
>> hinge
>> stays on and unit stays warm. I have to press the power button for
>> several
>> seconds to get the computer to shut off. This is the only way I can get
>> it
>> to start up again too. It does not appear to be asleep, but rather
>> stuck in
>> some exit routine. If I enable the onboard wireless adapter, the
>> wireless
>> light stays on too.
>>
>> How do I track down something like this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Earle

> Try using the System Configuration Utility, Diagnostic/Selective
> startup. Help is available in the utility.

I started the Dell up in Diagnostic mode, essential services only, and it
still failed to power down. Funny, Restart works normally. Computer passes
ROM diagnostics and XP booted from another partition shuts down without a
problem. System Restore says, "No restore points have been created on your
computer's system disk." even though I created one right before installing
SP1. I managed to create a restore point just now, but it is the only one
visible.

Earle

Earle Horton

      23rd Jul 2008
"glatzfront" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Earle Horton;784245 Wrote:
>> "glatzfront" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...> > >

>> I started the Dell up in Diagnostic mode, essential services only,
>> and it
>> still failed to power down. Funny, Restart works normally. Computer
>> passes
>> ROM diagnostics and XP booted from another partition shuts down
>> without a
>> problem. System Restore says, "No restore points have been created on
>> your
>> computer's system disk." even though I created one right before
>> installing
>> SP1. I managed to create a restore point just now, but it is the only
>> one
>> visible.
>>
>> Earle

> Run the disk check, might as well defrag while your at it.
>
> Will it shut down from safe mode?
>
> Check the event viewer for errors.

System powers down in Safe Mode. Running disk check now. Disk check
reports nothing remarkable. Reboot Normally, no relevant errors in Event
Log, system shuts down now. Go figure. Well now I've trained myself to
look at the power indicator before putting the laptop in the carrying case.

Thanks!

Earle