Dell Dimension Problems

Ali

      10th Jul 2006
Hello,

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 only a year old. It suddenly died, meaning no
power what so ever.
Opened up the side panel, connected the power cord, a green LED comes ups on
the motherboard. Pressing the power button on, nothing happens. No Power!

Installed a new 400W PSU. Nothing happens. Same result with green LED on
on the motherboard but no power.

One strange thing I noticed ! I removed the CMOS battery, and the system
powered up. the fan and hard drive etc. starts spinning. Tried the same
(no CMOS battery in the motherboard) with old PSU and system powers up.
Got a new CMOS battery, but same results.

Do not know where to go from here.......

any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Poly-poly man

      10th Jul 2006
Ali wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a Dell Dimension 3000 only a year old. It suddenly died, meaning no
> power what so ever.
> Opened up the side panel, connected the power cord, a green LED comes ups on
> the motherboard. Pressing the power button on, nothing happens. No Power!
>
> Installed a new 400W PSU. Nothing happens. Same result with green LED on
> on the motherboard but no power.
>
> One strange thing I noticed ! I removed the CMOS battery, and the system
> powered up. the fan and hard drive etc. starts spinning. Tried the same
> (no CMOS battery in the motherboard) with old PSU and system powers up.
> Got a new CMOS battery, but same results.
>
> Do not know where to go from here.......
>
> any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Plug the front panel switch in. No kidding. It's the one that's bright blue.

hih,
poly-p man

Ali

      10th Jul 2006
The Front Panel switch is already plugged in. That does not make any sense.
The Computer powers up without the CMOS battery and there is NO POWER if
you insert the CMOS battery ( even a new one). Do you think its a faulty
motherboard ?

"Poly-poly man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Ali wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a Dell Dimension 3000 only a year old. It suddenly died, meaning
>> no power what so ever.
>> Opened up the side panel, connected the power cord, a green LED comes ups
>> on the motherboard. Pressing the power button on, nothing happens. No
>> Power!
>>
>> Installed a new 400W PSU. Nothing happens. Same result with green LED
>> on on the motherboard but no power.
>>
>> One strange thing I noticed ! I removed the CMOS battery, and the system
>> powered up. the fan and hard drive etc. starts spinning. Tried the
>> same (no CMOS battery in the motherboard) with old PSU and system powers
>> up.
>> Got a new CMOS battery, but same results.
>>
>> Do not know where to go from here.......
>>
>> any ideas would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

> Plug the front panel switch in. No kidding. It's the one that's bright
> blue.
>
> hih,
> poly-p man

pen

      10th Jul 2006

"Ali" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4vqsg.73221$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The Front Panel switch is already plugged in. That does not make any
> sense. The Computer powers up without the CMOS battery and there is
> NO POWER if you insert the CMOS battery ( even a new one). Do you
> think its a faulty motherboard ?
>

> "Poly-poly man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Ali wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have a Dell Dimension 3000 only a year old. It suddenly died,
>>> meaning no power what so ever.
>>> Opened up the side panel, connected the power cord, a green LED
>>> comes ups on the motherboard. Pressing the power button on, nothing
>>> happens. No Power!
>>>
>>> Installed a new 400W PSU. Nothing happens. Same result with green
>>> LED on on the motherboard but no power.
>>>
>>> One strange thing I noticed ! I removed the CMOS battery, and the
>>> system powered up. the fan and hard drive etc. starts spinning.
>>> Tried the same (no CMOS battery in the motherboard) with old PSU and
>>> system powers up.
>>> Got a new CMOS battery, but same results.
>>>
>>> Do not know where to go from here.......
>>>
>>> any ideas would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.

>> Plug the front panel switch in. No kidding. It's the one that's
>> bright blue.
>>
>> hih,
>> poly-p man

Try in a Dell group. Maybe someone there has heard of this.
alt.sys.pc-clone.dell is one such.