deliberately printing 'grain'

RCC

      9th Jun 2009
I am using an Epson D120 (networked, mainly for documents) and an Epson
Dx8400 (direct, as a copier and for photo printing). I know neither is
a top end photo printer but fine for my needs. Also using Windows XP
and Serif Photoplus X2.

I wanted some high contrast mono prints with 'noise' so did the add
noise and increase contrast manipulations in Photoplus. Normally when I
print I get what I see on screen, but it looks like the printer driver
is carefully removing the noise to give me what it thinks I want not
what I want. I have tried matt paper, black ink only, and satin paper
using the 'pseudo mono' achieved by using CMYK. Both give prints that
are 'too good'.

Does anyone have any hints and tips for printing deliberately grainy &
contrasty prints before I use up a ton of paper trying out all the
settings?

Thanks
--
Richard C

Peter

      11th Jun 2009
RCC wrote:
> I am using an Epson D120 (networked, mainly for documents) and an Epson
> Dx8400 (direct, as a copier and for photo printing). I know neither is
> a top end photo printer but fine for my needs. Also using Windows XP
> and Serif Photoplus X2.
>
> I wanted some high contrast mono prints with 'noise' so did the add
> noise and increase contrast manipulations in Photoplus. Normally when I
> print I get what I see on screen, but it looks like the printer driver
> is carefully removing the noise to give me what it thinks I want not
> what I want. I have tried matt paper, black ink only, and satin paper
> using the 'pseudo mono' achieved by using CMYK. Both give prints that
> are 'too good'.
>
> Does anyone have any hints and tips for printing deliberately grainy &
> contrasty prints before I use up a ton of paper trying out all the
> settings?
>
> Thanks

I had a programme from Corel - ArtDabbler - that would provide this
sort of effect