Deleting A File

Scott

      6th Jun 2009
I have an external hard drive for my WinXP Pro desktop. I use it to make
Acronis image backups. When I tried to delete one of the older backup files
on the hard drive, it says, "The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable".
I can't move or delete this file. I need the hard drive space.

Is there a utility that will delete this unreadable file?

Thanks!
Scott

MAP

      6th Jun 2009
Scott wrote:
> I have an external hard drive for my WinXP Pro desktop. I use it to
> make Acronis image backups. When I tried to delete one of the older
> backup files
> on the hard drive, it says, "The file or directory is corrupted or
> unreadable". I can't move or delete this file. I need the hard drive
> space.
>
> Is there a utility that will delete this unreadable file?
>
> Thanks!
> Scott

I've had good luck with this one.
http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/
--
Mike Pawlak

Steve Winograd [MS-MVP]

      6th Jun 2009
On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 11:34:03 -0500, Scott <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have an external hard drive for my WinXP Pro desktop. I use it to make
>Acronis image backups. When I tried to delete one of the older backup files
>on the hard drive, it says, "The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable".
>I can't move or delete this file. I need the hard drive space.
>
>Is there a utility that will delete this unreadable file?
>
>Thanks!
>Scott

There might be more trouble on the disk than just this one file. Run
"chkdsk /f" to find and fix errors.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com