Deleting Data in Sample database Northwind traders

brad

      1st Feb 2010
I would like to use the sample database Northwindtraders that comes with the
software for my business but i need to delete all the data from all the
connected templates especially the Inventory so i can enter my own data. Is
this possible? or is thier others like it that don't come with the sample
data included?
I don't have months to learn how to use it

Thanks

Brad Dalton

Lynn Trapp

      1st Feb 2010
Create a brand new blank database. Then import all objects from the Northwind
database into yours. On the import objects screen for tables make sure that
you import "definition only."

--
Lynn Trapp
MCP, MOS, MCAS

"brad" wrote:

> I would like to use the sample database Northwindtraders that comes with the
> software for my business but i need to delete all the data from all the
> connected templates especially the Inventory so i can enter my own data. Is
> this possible? or is thier others like it that don't come with the sample
> data included?
> I don't have months to learn how to use it
>
> Thanks
>
> Brad Dalton

William Boswell

      1st Feb 2010
I have been working with the Northwind Trader database extensively and find
it is the most inflexible template to work with. Some things I have found
related to your first response.

After you have downloaded the template, open it and resave it so it has the
Access extension and not the template extension. Otherwise you may not be
able to import from the Northwind database to your new database. I had this
problem.

I have found that importing existing data into this database is a major
headache because I have to make sure my fields match Northwinds fields or
modify NW's fields to match mine which is very time consuming. I still get
numerous errors from that. Then the queries, forms, etc. have to be
modified. Also time consuming.

The entire template thing in Access 2007 stinks. I liked it better in
earlier versions where you could select what you wanted in your database
using a template and go from there. Now the entire program depends on
whatever templates are available and as far as a full business database there
is only Northwinds.

I'm finding that it is easier to just build your own from scratch then have
Access check it for you. Some tables need splitting, but I recommend not
letting Access do it because it messes things up.

I'm no expert on Access, but have been using it since the first version and
nothing else out there comes close to it which is why I'm still using it.

"brad" wrote:

> I would like to use the sample database Northwindtraders that comes with the
> software for my business but i need to delete all the data from all the
> connected templates especially the Inventory so i can enter my own data. Is
> this possible? or is thier others like it that don't come with the sample
> data included?
> I don't have months to learn how to use it
>
> Thanks
>
> Brad Dalton

Steve

      1st Feb 2010
Hello Brad,

I would like to offer to build a database like Northwindtraders for you for
your business. I can build it quickly and make it specific for your
business. If you have data in an existing spreadsheet, I could also import
that data into the new database. My fee would be very reasonable. I provide
help with Access, Excel and Word applications. If you are interested,
contact me.

Steve
(E-Mail Removed)

"brad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would like to use the sample database Northwindtraders that comes with
>the
> software for my business but i need to delete all the data from all the
> connected templates especially the Inventory so i can enter my own data.
> Is
> this possible? or is thier others like it that don't come with the sample
> data included?
> I don't have months to learn how to use it
>
> Thanks
>
> Brad Dalton

John... Visio MVP

      1st Feb 2010
> Hello Brad,
>
> I would like to offer to build a database like Northwindtraders for you
> for your business. I can build it quickly and make it specific for your
> business. If you have data in an existing spreadsheet, I could also import
> that data into the new database. My fee would be very reasonable. I
> provide help with Access, Excel and Word applications. If you are
> interested, contact me.
>
> Steve

Stevie is our own personal pet troll who is the only one who does not
understand the concept of FREE peer to peer support!

These newsgroups are provided by Microsoft for FREE peer to peer support.
There are many highly qualified individuals who gladly help for free. Stevie
is not one of them, but he is the only one who just does not get the idea of
"FREE" support. He offers questionable results at unreasonable prices. If he
was any good, the "thousands" of people he claims to have helped would be
flooding him with work, but there appears to be a continuous drought and he
needs to constantly grovel for work.

John... Visio MVP